Gibson Brands Forums

string binding at the nut

uncle fester

3 hours ago, jedzep said:

Good one! Don't apologize. We all wish we had thought of it.

It was a piece of work that had to done.  I believe it's appreciated by both members and non-members around the globe.  Where will we be when fruits like that are passed unnoticed. 

Yes, where will we be without these nuggets of information? Yuk Yuk.😲

I have a problem with the saddle end of a non Gibson that I am trying to hone in. I have a mic to solder to the K&K pickup that is already installed to upgrade it to my Trinity system, but this time the 1st string is not playing as loud as the other 5. This is physically and electrically impossible on a K&K pickup as it has ONE sensor for each 2 strings. So if it was the sensor in any way, the 2nd string would not play properly either. It has to be the bone saddle (pin bridge with split saddles) not contacting underneath properly??? Break angle?

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 10/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, kidblast said:

Unc,  Buddy, serioulsy,,,,  you're making this way harder than it needs to be.   Graphite, lubrication, whatever.. are all band-aids.  Eventually all that stuff wears down, you are back at square one. 

Filing the nut for 1. the right depth, and 2, the right width It is literally a 10 minute job with the right tools and know how.

This is the confirmation I was hoping for.  If you can fix it with a properly sized nut I'll go that way.   thank you all, maybe these are newbie questions - but your input truly helps.

Rgds - UF

On 10/12/2020 at 6:37 PM, BluesKing777 said:

Yep, off to a reputable luthier/guitar tech.... do it yourself and give yourself other string problems.

BluesKing777.

wise words - yes seems like a simple fix, but when it's really important to get something right, a trusted resource is always best

40 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

This is the confirmation I was hoping for.  If you can fix it with a properly sized nut I'll go that way.   thank you all, maybe these are newbie questions - but your input truly helps.

Rgds - UF

Unc,, there is a very qualified repair tech in town here if you can't find anyone closer to home.  She's done stellar work on many of my and my "playin" buds guitars.

Very reasonable pricing too.  PM me and I can give you more info.

4 hours ago, uncle fester said:

wise words - yes seems like a simple fix, but when it's really important to get something right, a trusted resource is always best

2 points...

The luthier may not get it exact, either! But it will be way better than an amateur, just because they have ALL the tools at hand.

Call it today and get it organised - we are currently in lockdown here and can't leave our suburb. Have to get a courier to deliver to the luthier and back - in full protective mask and gloves etc.... So if you can drive it now, do it.....

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

20 hours ago, kidblast said:

Unc,, there is a very qualified repair tech in town here if you can't find anyone closer to home.  She's done stellar work on many of my and my "playin" buds guitars.

Very reasonable pricing too.  PM me and I can give you more info.

Hey Ray - tried to PM you, but got an error message says you can't receive messages...