Gibson Brands Forums

2019 ES 335

Zohar

hi everyone, first post here.

I am looking to buy a new 2019 ES, 60's cherry finish.

I am a bit confused as to whether or not they were made at the Memphis factory, and if I am suppose to get a Gibson Custom COA with the guitar.

Thanks  Zohar.

The lease on the factory in Memphis expired in April 2019, so if your guitar was made early in the year it might have been made in Memphis.  You can tell by the serial number.  And no I wouldn't expect any Custom Shop COA unless it was a Custom Shop guitar which you don't specifically state.  

I am wondering if people notices a drop in quality when the first guitars where made in Nashville?

what would be the change in the serial number?

also, when I was refering to the COA, what I ment was that "passport" they gave with every guitar.

thanks,  Zohar.

13 hours ago, Zohar said:

I am wondering if people notices a drop in quality when the first guitars where made in Nashville?

You mean after Memphis closed? Unlikely. I certainly have never heard this. The process would be the same. The jigs would be the same. Also, I think Nashville still produced CS ES models while Memphis was operational (confirmation needed).

I have played both Memphis & Nashville ES too.

Edited by merciful-evans
corrected Nashville to Memphis

15 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

The lease on the factory in Memphis expired in April 2019, so if your guitar was made early in the year it might have been made in Memphis.  You can tell by the serial number.  And no I wouldn't expect any Custom Shop COA unless it was a Custom Shop guitar which you don't specifically state.  

Yes, every Memphis made guitar should have a COA.  Not a  Custom Shop COA as there was never a Custom Shop in Memphis.  There are a few different types of COAs

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

You mean after Nashville closed? Unlikely. I certainly have never heard this. The process would be the same. The jigs would be the same. Also, I think Nashville still produced CS ES models while Memphis was operational (confirmation needed).

I have played both Memphis & Nashville ES too.

No, he is wondering that since Memphis closed,  what the quality is now coming out of Nashville.  Which is a very good question.  So far, the very limited number of reviews I read have have been favorable. It should be noted that the higher end ES models are now made in the Custom Shop, and the rest are made in the Gibson USA area.

2 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Yes, every Memphis made guitar should have a COA.  Not a  Custom Shop COA as there was never a Custom Shop in Memphis.  There are a few different types of COAs

No, he is wondering that since Memphis closed,  what the quality is now coming out of Nashville.  Which is a very good question.  So far, the very limited number of reviews I read have have been favorable. It should be noted that the higher end ES models are now made in the Custom Shop, and the rest are made in the Gibson USA area.

Yes that's what I meant. Obviously Nashville hasn't closed. I've just corrected that.

I took delivery of a brand new ES335 Dot Sixties yesterday. The build quality is on a par with my 2018 Memphis 335. That one came with a COA and my new Nashville guitar didn't. Also, the Memphis guitar has a very custom shop-like build, the ABR bridge is screwed directly into the top of the guitar whereas my new one has the bushings which the ABR screws into much like any other non-Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul etc 

My new Nashville guitar is lighter and more resonant when played unplugged but I realise that such thihgs are more luck of the drawer than anything else. It also has a slightly fatter neck from approx the 5th fret upwards.

• 1 month later...

I have in my possession a 2019 Dot and a 2018 Traditional. Both are great guitars, one has to be sold. I was at first going to keep the Trad, but it has a thicker neck and I think I prefer the playability of the Dot. 

I do not detect any compromise in quality between the two guitars, either would be a blessing. Nashville is making great 335s based on what I can see. It's lighter and more resonant than the earlier one. 

Frankly I might put them both up on Craigslist and sell whichever one goes first. That's how little difference in quality there is.