Gibson Brands Forums

Learning how to record

seanp33

Hey all. Been a while since I posted here. I'm learning how to record my guitar as all my straight to phone recordings sound very amateur. Here's my first attempt of recording video on my phone and using a mic to record the audio directly to my computer. 

Hope everybody is staying safe. 

https://youtu.be/eKwnoJRSpxg

Edited by seanp33
  • Like 2

Great playing and great recorded sound too! You might want to boost the recording volume some. It's a little low, I think. Also, and you might be fully aware of this, you actually have the mic pointed towards the ceiling. Again, this could be intentional on your part, but you should be able to get a much stronger sound if you place it head on. Either way, what you have sounds really, really nice.

Lars

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Great playing and great recorded sound too! You might want to boost the recording volume some. It's a little low, I think. Also, and you might be fully aware of this, you actually have the mic pointed towards the ceiling. Again, this could be intentional on your part, but you should be able to get a much stronger sound if you place it head on. Either way, what you have sounds really, really nice.

Lars

Thank you Lars. The exact feedback I’m looking for. I’m using a USB microphone and I think I may need to buy a real mic and an audio interface.  

I can’t believe I didn’t notice the bad placement haha. 

I have that exact mic myself, and bought a condensor mic and an Apogee One interface for my iPad. While the recording quality went up some, it really wasn’t by very much. You are bettetr off to work with mic placement and room positioning than gear, I believe.

Good luck!

Lars

Edited by Lars68

On 11/20/2020 at 6:32 PM, seanp33 said:

Hey all. Been a while since I posted here. I'm learning how to record my guitar as all my straight to phone recordings sound very amateur. Here's my first attempt of recording video on my phone and using a mic to record the audio directly to my computer. 

Fine playing, and cool camera angle, but I don't recognize the song (?) I have the same gear as well, and can't figure out the best way to boost the signal strength.. Of course, mic placement is important, but the sound quality shown on the below embedded video is mind blowing, compared to what I've been able to come up with. A few folks here have the same setup, (Lars, and SalfromChatham, MissouriPicker, (?) to name a few), but their sound levels let you hear much better.

When adjusting the gain higher, the mic is more prone to prone to clipping if the sound source is too close. 

Check out some YouTube acoustic guitar recordings made with the Apogee MiC 96k to get an idea of mic placement, etc, but this one seems to defy all odds:

Edited by 62burst
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2020 at 6:32 PM, seanp33 said:

That was a nice song 👍🏾 Seems like you tried a different mic and camera angle on your most recent video and the audio is louder, though to be fair you did use an electric this time. Did you record straight into a daw or with the mic and an amp? 

On 11/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, 62burst said:

Fine playing, and cool camera angle, but I don't recognize the song (?) I have the same gear as well, and can't figure out the best way to boost the signal strength.. Of course, mic placement is important, but the sound quality shown on the below embedded video is mind blowing, compared to what I've been able to come up with. A few folks here have the same setup, (Lars, and SalfromChatham, MissouriPicker, (?) to name a few), but their sound levels let you hear much better.

When adjusting the gain higher, the mic is more prone to prone to clipping if the sound source is too close. 

Check out some YouTube acoustic guitar recordings made with the Apogee MiC 96k to get an idea of mic placement, etc, but this one seems to defy all odds:

WOW! Got gain anyone? It sounds like they added some reverb (particularly noticeable towards the intro and beginning) and maybe increased the gain afterwards during mixdown.  If they didn't do any post processing that Rode app has to be really good. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hummingbirdguy said:

WOW! Got gain anyone? It sounds like they added some reverb (particularly noticeable towards the intro and beginning) and maybe increased the gain afterwards during mixdown.  If they didn't do any post processing that Rode app has to be really good. 

Yes, it does seem all of that clarity and gain, esp. in the vocals, happened downstream from the mic. . . quite likely thanks to the Røde app. FYI- I believe there was talk on the internet that something had changed with respect to that app- (availability, updates, compatibility, or ??).

Edited by 62burst

I would change the placement of the MiC - so that it isn't pointed at the ceiling, but rather at  where the neck attaches to the body. Then it will capture your guitar perfectly. Id also adjust the gain up on the mic, so that it is still green, on the verge of becoming red, but not becoming red.

That said, Love your playing, love the guitar!. AND I love the Tele on your wall.

• Like 1

Something in the signal chain is doing a lot of compressing in the Sweet Rosebud video. There's also some skill in play with the "Instrument" placement. Even tilting the mic up a bit to reduce changes of low-mid murkiness. A combination of things happening. The benefit is that we get to hear clarity in the guitar and the whispery female vocals all in one take and one mic.

Being always curious on this topic, I clicked on another one of their videos for a listen. In this one, pasted below, they over-dubbed their song with a little guitar played bass-line. Look at the DAW shown at 1:14. One can see the over-dubbed bit being tracked. The wave-form of the overdubbed track looks like a side-angle shot of a steak rather than a traditional up and down wave-form like the track just above it does. Notice that the main track isn't all over the place, either.  Could be natural compression from the mic for all we know.

This doesn't mean the video 62Burst posted was tracked in the same manner as the overdub, rather it just shows us that they do know how to get and use a heavily compressed signal.

Compression is not a bad thing. It has it's uses. Remember, in many cases, compression is as much about pushing up lower volume elements as it is knocking higher volume elements down a bit. On the OP's thread's broad topic of learning to record side of things, I think the take away I'm getting is to take another look at both mic placement and signal compression when I try to do one take singer-songwriter style efforts.

Look at 1:14 for the DAW in view.

• 3 months later...
7 hours ago, seanp33 said:

Alright here’s another attempt at recording. This time a Bill Frisell song. 

Hearing a very nice sounding and well recorded square shouldered acoustic Gibson.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             It's noticed that you play soft and almost caress the notes out - suits the guitar fine though it probably would show equally impressing teeth if you chose to dig in. 

A black ring Bird it is. Are you aware of this. . . 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Hearing a very nice sounding and well recorded square shouldered acoustic Gibson.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             It's noticed that you play soft and almost caress the notes out - suits the guitar fine though it probably would show equally impressing teeth if you chose to dig in. 

A black ring Bird it is. Are you aware of this. . . 

Thanks! I do tend to play quietly, especially on these instrumentals. I’ll need to find something to dig in on. 

The guitar is a 2012 hummingbird true vintage. Is the black ring an odd thing to have on it? Thanks for listening and the kind words. 

11 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

It is a nice sounding, for sure. I like hearing the low end come through. I too often I hear that get looped out.

What did your recording-/mixing set-up evolve to so far?

Thank you. I’ve gone from using my phone to using an apogee usb mic to just getting the zoom H6 this week. I have really liked it so far, and it can even be used as an audio interface with my DAW (reaper). I didn’t do anything to it in the mix so it’s just the sound of the mic on the zoom.  I really have no idea how to properly mix or anything as I’m an absolute newb with this stuff. Thanks for listening! 

Edited by seanp33

9 minutes ago, seanp33 said:

Thanks! I do tend to play quietly, especially on these instrumentals. I’ll need to find something to dig in on. 

The guitar is a 2012 hummingbird true vintage. Is the black ring an odd thing to have on it? Thanks for listening and the kind words. 

Would be a theme to hear you play'n'record a bit harder. 

The True Vintage models normally have white rosettes (the graphics the other way around) where the Standards feature the black. That would be the standard pattern.                                                                            However I happen to have two 2012s - one of each - and thought the black ring TV was about the only in the world. Not so - you are there too.

Which strings do you use ? 

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Would be a theme to hear you play'n'record a bit harder. 

The True Vintage models normally have white rosettes (the graphics the other way around) where the Standards feature the black. That would be the standard pattern.                                                                            However I happen to have two 2012s - one of each - and thought the black ring TV was about the only in the world. Not so - you are there too.

Which strings do you use ? 

I use d’addario phosphor nickel 12s and only change strings about once or maybe twice a year. I love the sound and feel of old strings. 

That’s cool our guitars are siblings. Is your bird starting to fade as well as the flowers? Mine are and I actually love how it’s aging. 

2 minutes ago, seanp33 said:

I use d’addario phosphor nickel 12s and only change strings about once or maybe twice a year. I love the sound and feel of old strings. 

That’s cool our guitars are siblings. Is your bird starting to fade as well as the flowers? Mine are and I actually love how it’s aging. 

I too enjoy old steel. Changed strings on my 1953 J-45 for the first time in 5 years today. Tried some La Bella Golden Alloy 12-52 which the local guitar-shop man recommended.                                                                         They seem good, but let's see how they develop. . 

Yes, my White Ring begins to fade and I like it. Not happening to the Black Ring, , , but that's another story. . 

95JvQvC.jpg

Here they await Gibson Masterbuilt 80/20 Lights last summer. 

• Like 1

Your second video doesn't show the 🦋at all. 

The first assure us it's there, , , , , or is it. . 

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Your second video doesn't show the 🦋at all. 

The first assure us it's there, , , , , or is it. . 

Oh man those are beautiful. I’m sure the naked one has quite a story. Mine is only slightly fading. You can still definitely see it but it’s losing some of the paint for sure. 

This was my first nice instrument and it still makes me smile every time I see it and it somehow even still smells great. 

• Like 1