Gibson Brands Forums

Played This Today

Sgt. Pepper

I was in a store in Williamsburg, VA and played this Gibson Heritage from '76. The action was low and it need to be raised just a hair at least for my taste. It says a pickguard crack was professionally fixed. There was nothing left in the saddle, as it was barley sticking out of the slot. So it is gonna be neck reset time soon.  It was not to bad. I need another Dreadnaught like I need another wife.

https://authenticguitars.com/1976-gibson-heritage-deluxe/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

54 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I was in a store in Williamsburg, VA and played this Gibson Heritage from '76. The action was low and it need to be raised just a hair at least for my taste. It says a pickguard crack was professionally fixed. There was nothing left in the saddle, as it was barley sticking out of the slot. So it is gonna be neck reset time soon.  It was not to bad. I need another Dreadnaught like I need another wife.

https://authenticguitars.com/1976-gibson-heritage-deluxe/

Looks like a really skinny neck, but the headstocks on these are pretty big.

20 minutes ago, bobouz said:

I had one of those in the late ‘70s.  Darn good sounding guitar, and the neck was not all that skinny - rather average profile, with a 1-11/16” nut.

Didn't Gibson return to the 1 11/16" nut in 1969?  

Edited by zombywoof

These are lovely instruments. Along with the Gospel, in my opinion the Heritage was the cream of the crop from the Norlin era. 

The underset neck is standard for the time, as part of the drive to reduce warranty claims and make the guitars more durable, along with the double X bracing Gibson adopted a shallower neck angle, shorter bridges and a lesser break angle over the saddle, to minimise bridge roll and top distortion. 

It was overkill somewhat, but didn't really do any harm. If this one needs a hair more action height, I wonder if you could fit a taller saddle and probably negate the need for a neck reset for the time being? 

It's amazing how much cheaper these guitars are in the US than over here in the UK. $2k shakes out at £1500, it would be nigh on impossible to find a '70s Gibson anything for that sort of money here. In Denmark Street they would be after £3k+ for a Heritage in far worse shape.

4 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Laminate rosewood back and sides + square-shouldered model = 😕.

Nope - The Heritage Custom from ‘72 on (which is what I owned), most definitely had solid rosewood back & sides.  The above referenced guitar from 1976 is a Heritage Custom, but it is missing it’s label & they've incorrectly called it a Heritage “Deluxe”.

11 hours ago, bobouz said:

Nope - The Heritage Custom from ‘72 on (which is what I owned), most definitely had solid rosewood back & sides.  The above referenced guitar from 1976 is a Heritage Custom, but it is missing it’s label & they've incorrectly called it a Heritage “Deluxe”.

I think that store also has a 1950 J-50. Its $4900. 

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think that store also has a 1950 J-50. Its $4900. 

That guitar is an excellent buy, in what appears to be beautiful condition.

It is identified as a 1950, but may well be '47 or early '48, since it has a rectangular bridge and open-back tuners. There was apparently an overlapping of FONs between 1948 and 1950, so you look as much at physical properties as the FON in that period.

It that price, in that condition, that one is unlikely to sit in the shop for long.

If I wanted another 'hog slope-J from that period, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

Edited by j45nick
added additional thought

38 minutes ago, j45nick said:

That guitar is an excellent buy, in what appears to be beautiful condition.

It is identified as a 1950, but may well be '47 or early '48, since it has a rectangular bridge and open-back tuners. There was apparently an overlapping of FONs between 1948 and 1950, so you look as much at physical properties as the FON in that period.

It that price, in that condition, that one is unlikely to sit in the shop for long.

If I wanted another 'hog slope-J from that period, I would jump on it in a heartbeat.

I think it has been there a while. I have not been in the store since this weekend for a while and I think I remember it being there in early 2020 when I was probably there last.