Gibson Brands Forums

50's LG2 after a week

CJB

Hey y'all, just wanted to check in with a 1 week report on my new LG2.  

This is a seriously fun guitar. It has a lot of voices and can handle a good variety styles.  I've had a few nice factory guitars but none seems to  be so eager to play.  With other guitars I have sometimes significant fretting hand pain due to an old injury.  I have to put it down after a little while but the thickness and shape of this neck is so incredibly comfortable and has been painless to play for a few hours a day, every day.  It's been since 2013 that I could play for a few hours and be pain free.  The tone is so wonderful and old sounding and easily jumps out.  Kinda reminds me of a mixture of Gillian Welch and Norman Blake and I'm happy with that.  

I'm using some EJ16's right now but I think next I'll try some Nickel Bronze next.  What are other folks using on theirs?

• Like 1

The last LG2 I owned rolled out of the factory in 1946 and I have not spent enough time with any Bozeman-made versions to know much of anything.  The guitars I found the nickel bronze strings worked the best on though were heavier built instruments such as carved top and back plate archtops and flattops like my 55/56 Epi FT79.  

Another possibility is to try strings wound on a round core.   While they do not exert less tension they do feel more flexible which is even more noticeable when combined with a shorter scale.  

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. 

In the past my favorite strings have been D'Addario EJ21 (basically simple nickel 'electric guitar' strings in acoustic guitar light gauge).  I'll try those as well as the Monel on it too.  I'm not a big fan of the feel of PB or 80/20 strings so I decided to order a set of Stringjoy custom  nickel strings last night.  I don't have any experience with them but have heard good things.  We'll see!

@zombywoofI haven't tried round core strings but will find some to give them a shot.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, CJB said:

I'm not a big fan of the feel of PB or 80/20 strings so I decided to order a set of Stringjoy custom  nickel strings last night.  I don't have any experience with them but have heard good things.  We'll see!

Never tried Stringjoy.   But I am a big fan of Newtone Nickel Master Class strings.  Problem is they do not have a distribution deal in the US at present so you have to order them from the factory.   Other than that I also like the John Pearce nickel strings.

Congrats on your new Lg-2! I have a ‘47 model that is an incredible guitar and I hope I get a chance to compare it with one of the new ones soon. 

Like you, I find it such a comfortable and rewarding guitar to play. 

I think Gibson really has the vintage thing dialed in well these days.... absolutely great guitars coming out of Bozeman. Vintage tone with modern playability , what’s not to like? 

I just bought a new J-45, 2018 model, that has everything I look for in an acoustic guitar.  Great compliment to the Lg-2.  cheers 

Edited by robroy

I think where Bozeman has missed the boat was to not put a maple body LG2 into standard production.  Although I had sold off my '46 LG2  many years back and was not really looking for another one, I stumbled across a 1944 slab maple back version at a small guitar show.   Talk about being made into a believer.   Had it not been a Sunday in the waning hours of the show (meaning I had no way of getting the cash or the time to drive home and grab a checkbook which I had forgotten to bring with me) and the seller not set up to take plastic that guitar would be sitting here with me right now.

Edited by zombywoof

On 12/16/2020 at 9:27 AM, CJB said:

I'm not a big fan of the feel of PB or 80/20 strings so I decided to order a set of Stringjoy custom  nickel strings last night.  I don't have any experience with them but have heard good things.  We'll see!

I tried Stringjoy once. To me they were no better or worse than any other string and cost $20 a set if I remember correctly.