Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Les Paul Standard 60s

Pinch

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

I FINALLY got it dialed in, so I'm keeping the 61s for now 🙂

Insane that they adjust them so high that the pole pieces pretty much touch the strings before they ship them. Not super easy to find the sweet spot either, but it can be done. As a PSA, know that you'll be fiddling with pickup height for a while if you get one of these.

I don't know what a PSA is but if this was directed at me I do have one of these models.  

I'll futz with it a bit later but I'm doing one better than RCT, I'm removing the pick ups and mounting them ON THE BACK of the guitar.  

Richard Betts ain't got nothing on me.

22 hours ago, Pinch said:

Mm. I usually end up with the bridge at 2 mm and the neck at 4 mm. Something like that.

Thats about the right variable, its where your "ear" tells you you're getting what you want. With my P90's, too close on the bridge pickup and they start to get clacky. 

I also adjust the poles to the string radius..

Glad you got it where you like it now Pinch.  I knew those 61s would serve well in that guitar, although you went through a lot to get to this point.  But better to have switched them out and messed around a lot with different heights and such cause now you KNOW you are in the right place.  If you hadn't tried the SDs and all you would always be thinking what if?   Play on and enjoy👍

Edited by Twang Gang

33 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Glad you got it where you like it now Pinch.  I knew those 61s would serve well in that guitar, although you went through a lot to get to this point.  But better to have switched them out and messed around a lot with different heights and such cause now you KNOW you are in the right place.  If you hadn't tried the SDs and all you would always be thinking what if?   Play on and enjoy👍

Thank you!

Yeah, you were absolutely correct, you can certainly get that unmistakable LP tone from the 61s.  Think I'll raise the bridge pup a little for extra clarity... will keep the neck pup really low. These'll work. You really hear the wood... I've found my favorite tones here are cleans with just a little bit of crunch/drive... Unmistakeably Les Paul sounding!