Gibson Brands Forums

Neck crack? If so what would you pay for it?

jBurn801

I'm hoping for some input on a guitar I'm looking at.  The guitar is a Epiphone DR500MCE Masterbilt and is in seemingly great condition other than this crack in the neck area by the nut. The seller says that the crack is on both sides of the neck but only gives me one picture which I'll post here.  They live about 2 hours away from me so I don't really want to drive out there if it's not worth it.  My question is how much would you pay for the guitar? Would it be worth picking up or should I pass on it?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

The headstock doesn't seem to have any scuffs on it that might have caused the crack I'll upload a picture of that as well.   

They are asking $300 obo.

Screenshot_20210327-120315_KSL Classifieds.jpg

Screenshot_20210327-121704_KSL Classifieds.jpg

A cracked/repaired headstock generally decreases a guitar’s value by 1/2.  That’s provided it has now been properly repaired by a competent luthier.  Properly repaired would mean it has no chance of ever breaking, again under normal use.   When I had  an authorized Gibson repair person repair a broken headstock on one of my guitars (that I dropped), he explained to me that the glue he fixed it with made that particular spot stronger than if it had never been dropped.  The crack was still present cosmetically none the less.  That was 16 years ago.  The guitar is still going strong.

But, that is not the story you are telling us you heard from the seller.  Nor, is he giving you evidence it was repaired by an authorized Gibson/Epiphone repair person.

The guitar’s neck is obviously damaged.  Whether it is a surface crack or a deep crack is not evident or documented.  The neck crack automatically, in my opinion, severely lowers the re-saleability of the guitar and thus its potential purchase price.  Since it’s damage is undocumented by a  reputable luthier, and the seller is trying to sell it with limited documented info about the crack, I’d say keep away from it.  You could end up buying a guitar that fell and weakened its neck so that one day it will further crack or crack off.  Then, you’d have to have to have a luthier try to  put back together if it can be.   And, you’d have a guitar whose neck snapped because you bought it with a cracked neck...with you paying to have it repaired  (if it can be)  to boot.     There is no sense in trying to buy the guitar cheap and then taking it to a luthier to try to have it properly repaired.  I doubt you’ll find a good luthier willing to break the neck at the crack to then try to properly fix it.   Nor, will they be able to assess its actual damage without fully breaking it and repairing it to do so.  Pass on this guitar.  There’s plenty of other guitar’s out there to buy without this baggage.  

You asked.  I hope my answer is helpful.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark
  • Like 1

Thank you question mark,  I appreciate the reply, looks like I'm still on the hunt. Do you have any recommendations for a decent guitar around the $500 price point? I've been looking at new DR500MCE Masterbilt Epiphone guitars (a bit pricey for me) and I wouldn't be able to get a case to keep it humidified for a while.  I know this is the Gibson forums and most people probably don't like discussing other guitar manufacturers but I've also been looking at a Breedlove Organic Collection (Jeff Bridges Signature), they are all solid wood and they come with a case. 

My local guitar shops have a very limited stock for "mid range" guitars.  They have a abundance of beginner "entry level" and $1000+ guitars so I'm unable to try guitars in my price range hands on.  

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. 

Yes, that guitar with a crack in the neck is a definite pass. 

You probably won't get many hits searching for "masterbuilt," but you will for "masterbilt." 😁 

This Epiphone Masterbilt looks to be a pretty good deal even though it "was pulled from a working environment."  It's claimed to be in "excellent" shape.  In my Epiphone days, I much preferred those from the 2003-2010 production run, which were all non-cutaways.  The one I linked to even comes with an aftermarket soundhole pickup and a case and has free shipping as well as "make an offer."  You could likely get it for $500 or maybe even $450.  Best of luck in your search! 

Here is a question how many guitars out there don't have broken necks for sale?

I've never bought one and never will. Its a broken guitar as far as I'm concerned. For $75 bucks maybe I would take a chance. Then you have to pay to get it fixed. He's selling broken guitar and you would inherit that.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've never bought one [with a cracked neck] and never will.

Oh, same here.  I don't like cracks in the top or back either, but they're much more manageable than a cracked neck.  Since I'm not big on "working on guitars," I like to get newer used ones, and in excellent shape, and I've had pretty good luck with that.  After a while, you also learn to ask a seller a lot of questions, and ask him to check the neck angle, the saddle height, the action, etc.  A guitar can look to be in great shape, but if it needs a neck reset, that's another $600.  I kind of assume that a new purchase of a used guitar will likely need a pro setup.  That's a manageable $60.

Over a year ago, I bought a 2001 Gibson j-45 that had a repaired broken headstock. I paid $1,200.00 Canadian, when the going rate for similar but intact guitars in Toronto was between $1,800.00 and $2,600.00 Canadian.

I did some research before the fact, and had a Luthier examine it afterwards.

I've been assured that the repair was stable and I've had no trouble or concerns since I bought it.

It is possible that the crack in the neck can be repaired with a simple injection of cyano-acrylate, or watered down Carpenter's glue. I'd suggest that you insist on as many photos of either side of the neck as you feel you need to present to a Luthier for an opinion on this instrument, and ask for an approximate cost to do the repair. Then if you still want it, make a modest offer taking this into account.

My point is, that you shouldn't dismiss a guitar that you want as a player simply because it has a defect. You might be missing out on a good deal.

I took a chance, and am glad I did.

RBSinTo

On 4/4/2021 at 4:40 PM, RBSinTo said:

My point is, that you shouldn't dismiss a guitar that you want as a player simply because it has a defect. You might be missing out on a good deal.

I took a chance, and am glad I did.

Well, I can't disagree with that (although I still think a cracked neck is a defect I'd be most wary about).  I actually bid on a guitar once that was identified as "for parts or not working."  Talk about risky!  There were a couple nasty gouges on the edge of the top -- it had apparently been knocked off a stand -- but it was unknown if there was any internal structural damage.  It was a $3,800 guitar going for $1,400.  I took a chance, and I'm really glad I did!  The gouges were the only defects, and they were easily fixed by my luthier.  I ended up with a near new Guild F512 out of their new Oxnard plant.  Holy Grail!

fff808.jpg

Cougar,

My point exactly.

To dismiss a damaged guitar out of hand is foolish. A bit of research might lead to an excellent find and a great bargain.

And if in the end, you don't buy it, the worst that has happened is that you spent a bit of time that came to nothing, but on the other hand you probably learned a thing or two about guitar repairs.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo