Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone please explain action on back of Gibson paper

You talking the inspection sheet prior to shipping? If it is.  Thats the way its setup.  
After you buy the guitar.  The dealer usually sets it up to your preference. .  

Edited by slimt
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

Yeah the warranty checklist paper 

These guitars are set up to specs of neck angle and bridge height. Then strung and setup and documented on the final sheet. 

6 hours ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

Says 

action 12th L5 H 3

1st L.23 H.16

this is for a brand new Gibson j45 standard 

is this good action or needs changed I had another j45 certain cords particularly barres were easier especially on first fret.

These numbers are only part of the setup. Target for action at the 1st fret are L.022 H.012 so if it actually checks 23 an 16 that’s not that far off but there’s four other strings that need to be checked that could have nut slots too high. Plus, the neck relief will be a factor. Get a good setup from a qualified tech/luthier. 

I agree that a visit with your tech/luthier would be in order. In addition, maybe offer to pay for some additional time for a first hand lesson on how to best perform the measurements. Then you will know if something needs adjustment, making more definitive decisions on when to bring it in. Neck relief is the other factor in playability (and tone), and he'll teach you how to check that, too, and probably how to visually inspect it to make sure all the angles and parallels look good.

My greatest guitar epiphany came when I learned you could actually have them set up.  Had somebody told me earlier it might have resulted in less blisters.  And no matter what the setup, I have managed to  figure out ways to get around barre chords for decades.  Just this week I had to deal with an F#dim7 which popped up in a ragtime piece I was wanting to get a handle on.  Where there is a will though there is a way. 

2 hours ago, zombywoof said:

My greatest guitar epiphany came when I learned you could actually have them set up.  Had somebody told me earlier it might have resulted in less blisters.  And no matter what the setup, I have managed to  figure out ways to get around barre chords for decades.  Just this week I had to deal with an F#dim7 which popped up in a ragtime piece I was wanting to get a handle on.  Where there is a will though there is a way. 

If you want to go nuts. Change your tuning to Robert Fripp's New Standard Tuning C-G-D-A-E-G, so you have to relearn everything.

14 hours ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

Yeah the warranty checklist paper 

Just another comment, most of the guitars I’ve bought have not matched what was written on the sheet. The recent ones have been pretty good. The action at the 12th fret is almost always different but that could be due to neck movement and truss rod.