Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone love their True Vintage acoustic as much as me?

larryp58

I love my True Vintage Southern Jumbo. Gibson has really stepped-up their game with this line. Mine is incredible. The vintage sunburst, solid mahogany back and sides, spruce top. Man, what a sound!!! Classic Neil Young songs just sing on it!!!

sometimes there's a different top wood (red instead of sitka etc...) i think there may be some other minor details that are different. i've played a bunch of TV guitars, TV VOS, TV limited (or whatever it is). I own a J45 TV limited, it's my favorite. I've never played a bad one either, they've all been awesome. J45s, hummingbirds and 200s

Totally love my J-45 TV VOS LTD. I was not thinking of buying one as I already had a Southern Jumbo MC, but this guitar blew me away. It is the one that gets played the most since I have gotten her. The Hummingbird TV VOS LTD is also awesome. Stunning finish and you can get a nice little buzz from the nitrocellulose still coming off the guitar (kidding, but I find it to be a pleasant smell). So yeah, I love mine a lot. Probably more than any other guitars in my collection other than my AJ.

Difference between a TV and TV VOS, price, a jacket, and maybe a fancier case- the guitars are the same as far as i know.

I assume that the higher price would make for better wood- that Gibsons sorts the wood from the very best down to good enough, then puts the best woods in the most expensive models so the more you pay the better the guitar should be- sound, looks, etc. We all know that every maker makes a few clunkers- guitars that look OK but just don't have it. I think it is more like more likely to find clunkers in the lower priced models, along with a few gems. The higher price models should have more winners....we hope.

My J200 TV VOS sound is to die for!!

Ive heard some j200 classics... and its like two different guitars!!

But its like matie said.. the more you pay the better guitar you get, i wanted the "original" J200

sound thats why i got the TV!

When i see lennon with the J200 for the first time, i said.. i want one!! and a hundred yrs later.. i was blessed!

I love my J-45TV, I think Gibson really hit the nail on the head with the True Vintage line. Every one that I've played so far has had a great sound.

Does anyone know for sure what gauge strings comes on the Vintage Line? I believe that they're the Gibson MB-12's. Any thoughts?

I believe Gibson puts Masterbuilt 12's on all new guitars. I've also tried D'addario EJ-16s and Martin's Clapton's Choice strings on my J-45TV and they all sound great but I like the tone from the D'addario's better.

Yes, the VOS series is incredible. I bought my Limited Edition VOS J-200 while on evacuation from Hurricane Ike. I live in Galveston, TX. Our town is still struggling with rebuilding, many people still displaced, the major medical university (UTMB) and hospital trying to petition the legislature to rebuild, etc. I found my guitar while we were staying in a hotel waiting for word--we couldn't return home for about two weeks. I had seen the damage on TV, knew that the town had suffered a major blow, and knew that my house was damaged. How much damage and how much it would cost to fix things back up was an unknown. The four lane freeway/bridge into town was covered in debris--destroyed houses, boats, etc and had to be literally cleared with bulldozers. Under an amount of stress you wouldn't believe. I walked into a music store in Austin, trying to keep my mind off things. And there it was. The best acoustic I had ever played. I was literally stunned. I had my '93 J-200 with me back at the hotel. After thinking about it, and agonizing over it, I brought my '93 in to compare. I knew that, side by side, my J-200 would probably sound just as good. Sadly, there was really no comparison. The '93 has a nice warm, dark midrange sound. The VOS has a much louder, drier, clearer tone, a strong rich bass and clear treble, slighlty attenuated midrange, and unbelievable sustain. The tone is maybe "sweeter" (with the smell of the lacquer and the airiness of the tone, I frequently think of the word "sugar" when I'm playing it--like a musical equivalent of cinnamon toast--I know it's weird, but that image and word continue to spring to mind. Maybe it'll change as the sweet lacquer smell dissipates). At any rate, at one of the worst possible times in my life, with financial, housing and job security a question, I bought the most expensive guitar I'd ever owned--and it was a huge stretch. Aside from some anxiety about the finances, I've had no regrets. I did end up selling the '93-- and I've kind of been missing that guitar lately. I play the new J-200 every day, and continue to remain amazed at the tone and playability. This is a guitar that I can't imagine I'll ever part with. So, yes, I totally understand the sentiments.

Archived