Gibson Brands Forums

1974 Gibson Dove vs 1975 D-35 Martin

lhnewman

Need some help here...I've owned a 1975 D-35 Martin since 1980 and have played quite a bit over the years.  I have an opportunity to buy a 1974 Gibson Dove.  The Dove is not near me to play.  My concern is duplicating a similar sound.  Do any of y'all know the similarities and/or differences in these two guitars ? ( assuming both in good condition and have been played equal amount of time ).  The Gibson had a neck reset 10 years ago...the Martin hasn't needed it, but the saddle has been sanded down a lot.  Thanks in advance from a new member....Newman

I would suppose different people would have different takes on this.  My only experience with both models is picking at both at either MARS or GC.  I found(and for me) the Dove had more depth or "boom" to the sound and was bigger to hold and handle.  The Martin was a cleaner, rich tone.  But that's based on MY ears, and not YOURS.  If you live anywhere near that carries both(like GC maybe) you could have already found this out.   If not, this is all I can offer.

Whitefang

Im sure they would have thier own sound unlike the other,  different wood, different build, different size,   the dove has the bling and would look good with your 35....

That is a Norlin era (big bridge plate, double x bracing).  I wouldn't buy such without playing.  I own a 74 SJ that I tout as very playable.  But, not all Gibsons from that time measure up to snuff.  Lots of the Gibson acoustics from that time and construction sound dull to say the least.

• Like 1

D35 is a better guitar.  If you were to find a 90s or newer Dove. I  could be swayed   As there values should be equal.  
A Norlin Dove is not  something I myself would even consider unless it was super cheap.  

Edited by slimt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The D-35 is a rosewood back and sides guitar and the Dove is Maple back and sides.

Can  you return the Dove if you don't like it?

don't think so....I would never buy a guitar online.....the Dove is near my brother's house in NY...I'm in Fla

1 hour ago, slimt said:

D35 is a better guitar.  If you were to find a 90s or newer Dove. I  could be swayed   As there values should be equal.  
A Norlin Dove is not  something I myself would even consider unless it was super cheap.  

I also have a 1996 Dove natural top near me that is in excellent condition...any thoughts? ( but they want $2950 ) seems high

4 minutes ago, lhnewman said:

I also have a 1996 Dove natural top near me that is in excellent condition...any thoughts? ( but they want $2950 ) seems high

Ya. Not what they sold for new.   The 90s Dove are Nice.   But in the same token used D35s are not cheap either.   

a used dove up here  24 cdn ish.  Maybe more.  New Doves up here are 5000ish cdn  , not a fan at that amount.  
a D35 I would guess no different.   I think New there in the 35 to 4 bracket   

5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I would suppose different people would have different takes on this.  My only experience with both models is picking at both at either MARS or GC.  I found(and for me) the Dove had more depth or "boom" to the sound and was bigger to hold and handle.  The Martin was a cleaner, rich tone.  But that's based on MY ears, and not YOURS.  If you live anywhere near that carries both(like GC maybe) you could have already found this out.   If not, this is all I can offer.

Whitefang

what is MARS or GC?

17 hours ago, lhnewman said:

what is MARS or GC?

GC is Guitar Center. MARS  is probably a store too, but am not sure what the initials stand for.

The used guitar market is nuts right now.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

42 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

GC is Guitar Center. MARS  is probably a store too, but am not sure what the initials stand for.

The used guitar market is nuts right now.

agree...its impossible to find a good used guitar that you can touch before buying......zero inventory....I guess Covid helped people love their guitars

6 minutes ago, lhnewman said:

agree...its impossible to find a good used guitar that you can touch before buying......zero inventory....I guess Covid helped people love their guitars

The last two guitars I bought were off Reverb. Even there it is getting crazy.

18 hours ago, lhnewman said:

what is MARS or GC?

MARS is MARS MUSIC, which is much like a Guitar Center set-up.  But MARS only has one location in the Metro Detroit area, while GC(guitar center) has several.  I haven't been to MARS in several years so for all I know it could have been taken over and is a Guitar Center now. [cool]

Whitefang

22 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

MARS is MARS MUSIC, which is much like a Guitar Center set-up.  But MARS only has one location in the Metro Detroit area, while GC(guitar center) has several.  I haven't been to MARS in several years so for all I know it could have been taken over and is a Guitar Center now. [cool]

Whitefang

thanks...such a hard life...deciding what guitar to buy next....lol

• Haha 1