Gibson Brands Forums

Action height on Gibson j45? 10/64?

Asphaltcowboy

This is too high right? I finally got me one of them measuring things. That’s what it’s saying 10/64 on the low E 12th fret I put in bone pins today they are taller than the saddle and I honestly preferred the tusq pins over bone but idk could be action let me know what’s the standard I like good volume some serious strumming goin on round here country y’all let me know 

Not too high for a slide guitar 😉

Put a capo on the 1st fret and hold one of the middle strings down around the 16th fret and check your neck relief. I like mine around .005".  You should get your neck relief set before checking other issues.

Edited by Dave F
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Not too high for a slide guitar 😉

Put a capo on the 1st fret and hold one of the middle strings down around the 16th fret and check your neck relief. I like mine around .005".  You should get your neck relief set before checking other issues.

My neck is pretty good checking that way. Anyone have a stock j45 wats the height of your saddle? From the bridge? And where does your action sit at the low E 12th fret? 

6 hours ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

My neck is pretty good checking that way. Anyone have a stock j45 wats the height of your saddle? From the bridge? And where does your action sit at the low E 12th fret? 

The last guitar I bought was an SJ. The string height for the bass E string is .085”.  The saddle height at that string is .165” which is very close to 2:1 which is the normal if the neck angle is correct. Correct neck angle is with a small amount of neck relief, the top of the frets are even with the top of the bridge (not the saddle).  That’s what you look for when you site down the neck toward the bridge or you can use a straight edge. Some guitars have a wedge shaped bridge so you would check toward the center. 

I am not sure what you are asking.  Obviously an action over 6/ 64"  would be considered high.  As noted above, the first thing I would look at is how much saddle protrudes above the bridge.      If the saddle height  checks out then I would say get thee to a repair shop as you could be dealing with a significant neck bow or an alignment issue.   

3 hours ago, zombywoof said:

I am not sure what you are asking.  Obviously an action over 6/ 64"  would be considered high.  As noted above, the first thing I would look at is how much saddle protrudes above the bridge.      If the saddle height  checks out then I would say get thee to a repair shop as you could be dealing with a significant neck bow or an alignment issue.   

The bridge is standing about 16/64 at the back 

saddle looks low already in comparison when I got the 10/64 on the 12th fret a bit hard to tell because the low e string is thick it goes around 8/64 and 12/64 not sure what I’m looking at eyes are bad but it anit 6/64

29 minutes ago, Asphaltcowboy said:

The bridge is standing about 16/64 at the back 

saddle looks low already in comparison when I got the 10/64 on the 12th fret a bit hard to tell because the low e string is thick it goes around 8/64 and 12/64 not sure what I’m looking at eyes are bad but it anit 6/64

My eyes suck as well.  But string thickness will not matter as you measure from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string.  The strings should sit at about  3/8" to 1/2" from the top.  The highest action I have spent time with was set at 7/64" at the low E.  Definitely  playable for me but my wife, as example, found it too high for her liking.

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

My eyes suck as well.  But string thickness will not matter as you measure from the top of the fret to the bottom of the string.  The strings should sit at about  3/8" to 1/2" from the top.  The highest action I have spent time with was set at 7/64" at the low E.  Definitely  playable for me but my wife, as example, found it too high for her liking.

Learn something new everyday well from bottom of string low E to the top of fret it’s 7:64 which anit far off is it normal for the Sitka behind the bridge dip down? When I measured the back of the bridge the flattop of the Sitka wasent all even idk 🤷‍♀️ 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Maybe it luthier time?

I agree. Sounds like you’re not familiar with setups. I believe I had some printed material for setups that I’ll look for but I would still take it to a luthier. 

Asphalt,  you posted this question on May 10th  after trying to adjust your Truss Rod:

New j45 when I first opened the cap it was tight both ways the truss rod but not even a complete 360 when I loosen it there is no tension it just slides smoot is this normal? At this point the guitar isn’t crazy bow or under bow new to truss rods just seems weird very easy to move when I loosen it and I have fret buzz still especially with 2nd fret D string the fret seems too close to me compared to my last j45 just weird and hard to play " 

It just occurred to me that maybe the issues you have are overlapping and co-mingled.  As a few others had replied - you should probably get your new J45 to a luthier, because turning your truss rod nut 360 degrees is a bad doobie.    Maybe a Gibson authorized one. Before you void the warranty.  G'Luck.