Gibson Brands Forums

Sprained wrist %$#&%$#

Gilliangirl

I tried to play a simple little G,D, and C song (What A Crying Shame - Mavericks) this afternoon, and couldn't get through it without serious pain. Looks like I'm on the sidelines for awhile. If we had a crying smiley, this is where I would put it.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that all pain relievers do is to mask pain. The healing takes some time (and pain is telling you to lay off until you have a chance to heal). you seem to be young so you ought to expect fast recovery. Get the wrist into s good position for healing and let it heal. When you are better, you will need to do exercises to recovery strength and flexibility (especially the wrist). THEN you can use magnets, pills and acupuncture but be cautious about all three. Too many pills can do liver things, and too fast can set you back in terms or re-injury. Get some advise on long-term recurring pain or later onset pain (such as arthritis) and do what's best for NOW and long term. Lots of guitar players my age wish they had done something earlier.

Keep in mind that all pain relievers do is to mask pain. The healing takes some time (and pain is telling you to lay off until you have a chance to heal). you seem to be young so you ought to expect fast recovery. Get the wrist into s good position for healing and let it heal. When you are better' date=' you will need to do exercises to recovery strength and flexibility (especially the wrist). THEN you can use magnets, pills and acupuncture but be cautious about all three. Too many pills can do liver things, and too fast can set you back in terms or re-injury. Get some advise on long-term recurring pain or later onset pain (such as arthritis) and do what's best for NOW and long term. Lots of guitar players my age wish they had done something earlier. [/quote']

Gitfidl, I'm not young, I'm just immature LOL Thank you for the advice. I'm glad to hear you're still playing!

well it would give the neighbours something to talk about.....[-o</

The neighbours already think I'm weird. I sit on my front porch and sing/play songs to the two pigeons (Peggy and Peter) that live in my eavestrough. My neighbour on the left of me, she's a 92 year old Italian woman, came over one day and asked me to play her some Dean Martin.

The neighbours already think I'm weird. I sit on my front porch and sing/play songs to the two pigeons (Peggy and Peter) that live in my eavestrough. My neighbour on the left of me' date=' she's a 92 year old Italian woman, came over one day and asked me to play her some Dean Martin.[/quote']

nothing wrong with your neighbours thinking your weird. I've got a set of really noisy ones so I'm always doing things to make them wonder (they are always looking out from behind their curtains). I dragged my lawnmower out in January and started it up so they could see. I also stuck a lawn chair in the front lawn and sat with a beer when it was -45 out..

So what Dean Martin did you play for her?

nothing wrong with your neighbours thinking your weird. I've got a set of really noisy ones so I'm always doing things to make them wonder (they are always looking out from behind their curtains). I dragged my lawnmower out in January and started it up so they could see. I also stuck a lawn chair in the front lawn and sat with a beer when it was -45 out..

LOL That's the spirit! We're not going to let a little snow throw a damper on our fun LOL

So what Dean Martin did you play for her?

I tried to fake my way through That's Amore!

My eldest Albert plays county level hockey (the one without skates) and recently had bad knees. Ice and more ice. And if it hurt's then don't play.

I'm in bed with a really bad back at the moment - not had one like this for about 7 years. I'd send you some of the painkillers I got this morning from the Doctor but this would almost certainly result in a custodial sentence. Sorry.

Ice and rest!

Hope it gets better soon.

OK .. for both your enjoyment and your neighbor I put some Italian songs on http://pjp-songwriting.blogspot.com/ You have to hit page down a couple times to get below the jazz stuff.

The htm squinches the chords so you may have to mess a while to figure out the place where chords change (i put the you tube video in too so you'll know how the tune goes).

Remember you have to make the tips of all your fingers touch the tips of your thumb -- then wave it and say "eh!" for example "eh! My wrista shes-a hurt now .. how can I play for you? why don't you sing to me? Eh?" also .. a companion is a "goombah" It's time to eat:" Se tempo para manjare" (Vena-qua vene qua)

I included some Spanish songs too (since this IS San Diego). [There is a spanish song where the singer sasy "I cheated on you three times -- first for courage, second for caprice and third for pleasure -- they all laugh http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjGaQyWo5uQ&feature=related (different kind of love song)

Tu, que me dejabas

Yo que te esperaba

Yo que tontament siempre te era fiel

Desgraciadamente, hoy fue diferente

Me tope con alguien, creo que sin querer

Tres veces te engane

Tres veces te engane

Tres veces te engane

La primera por coraje

La segunda por capricho

La tercera por plaser

Tres veces te engane

Tres veces te engane

Tres veces te engane

Y despues de esas tres veces

Y despues de esas tres veces

No quiero volverte a ver

Hot? Who says it's 'sprained'? the Yoga instructor? Remember these people are not physicians.

If it's hot to the touch, I'd show it to a bonafide doctor, just to be sure it isn't broken or you don't have some severe vascular damage. If it's broken and it doesn' heal right, playing guit tar may not be possible a year from now.

Go see the doc.

Sorry to hear of your injury GG!! Ibuprofen and Ice! "Dont" use it! Rest it. suburude

Yup, that Ibuprofen made a big difference. That and the frozen peas. It's hard to see three guitar cases sitting against the wall and not open one of them but I'm just going to wait it out. Last night was really hard because I had to check the humidifiers in the cases...... then close the cases up again. That was rough! LOL

Hot? Who says it's 'sprained'? the Yoga instructor? Remember these people are not physicians.

If it's hot to the touch' date=' I'd show it to a bonafide doctor, just to be sure it isn't broken or you don't have some severe vascular damage. If it's broken and it doesn' heal right, playing guit tar may not be possible a year from now.

Go see the doc.[/quote']

I don't think it's broken, Tommy because it's already doing better. Baby finger is still ailing tho'. I'm worried my callouses will disappear because I'm taking a break from playing!

Karen

Breaking or spraining a finger or wrist has always been my worst nightmare. Well 13 months ago I took a spill and broke my left wrist. It took almost 6 months before I could play reasonably and it's still not quite right. When in my cast I even attempt slided guitar. So I FEEL your frustration. I'd get it checked out...if your pinky still isn't right. They can recommend various exercises to help improve your range of motion. Then again the healing process can take some time..but for peace of mind see a doctor. Ya gotta find a more gentle kinder sport....yoga is just way brutal! Kazz

Karen

Breaking or spraining a finger or wrist has always been my worst nightmare. Well 13 months ago I took a spill and broke my left wrist. It took almost 6 months before I could play reasonably and it's still not quite right. When in my cast I even attempt slided guitar. So I FEEL your frustration. I'd get it checked out...if your pinky still isn't right. They can recommend various exercises to help improve your range of motion. Then again the healing process can take some time..but for peace of mind see a doctor. Ya gotta find a more gentle kinder sport....yoga is just way brutal! Kazz

OMG, Kazz, that's awful! Sorry to hear about your spill. :-( I don't think my wrist is broken but the finger is definitely not working right. I will make an appointment with the doc if it doesn't improve. It's so embarrassing to admit that I injured myself.......... fighting bears? No. Falling off a bike? No. Whitewater rafting? No. I overdid my 'kneeling cat asana' in yoga class! For shame!