Gibson Brands Forums

MR

lobosang jamir

Hi esteemed member in the forum, of late my gibson es335 larry carlton sounds muddy in the neck PUP. has it got to do with the 57 PUP or guitar pots. My amplifier (65 twin reverb) has got a new leash of live with new power tubes and preamp tubes but didn't expect the es 335 LC to sound so muddy. On the contrary the strat sounds to chimey and alive, so also Les paul. Regards

7 minutes ago, lobosang jamir said:

Hi esteemed member in the forum, of late my gibson es335 larry carlton sounds muddy in the neck PUP. has it got to do with the 57 PUP or guitar pots. My amplifier (65 twin reverb) has got a new leash of live with new power tubes and preamp tubes but didn't expect the es 335 LC to sound so muddy. On the contrary the strat sounds to chimey and alive, so also Les paul. Regards

Try it with a different amp if our can. If it does it on both its probably the guitar. If not its the amp. Could be a pot or cap if its only one pup and not the other.

Hi Pepper, Thanks for your suggestion. I don't think its the amp as it sounds very good (warm and bright) with the other guitars of mine especially the 57/62 strat and the Les paul.  Yes could be the pot/cap of the neck pick up. 

With the 335 its not only muddy but boomy also if the amp bass knob setting is increased. In short i don't enjoy the tone at all some clarity and chime is missing. 

Regards.

On 6/28/2021 at 3:58 PM, jdgm said:

You can certainly help it a bit by lowering the neck pickup.  You might be surprised how that changes things.  Worth a try?

Nice guitar btw....[thumbup]

Definitely.  I have a late 90s ES135  w/ gibson PAF pickups (Stock classic 57s).  Lowering them makes a noticeable difference.

Edited by kidblast

If the guitar sounded fine before and now suddenly the neck pickup sounds different (muddy) then I would think something has gone wrong with the pot or cap for that pickup.  Putting new tubes in your amp should not make the guitar sound that way - on the contrary it should sound cleaner and clearer.