Gibson Brands Forums

New B.B. King Lucille inbound!

JimB1

Well, I broke down and ordered one of the new Lucille models. I have wanted one of these for years but opportunity and money never coincided then they got discontinued. I read the new one was coming a few months back so I’ve been waffling on spending the cash but life is short so I pulled the trigger on it tonight. Not sure when it’ll get here but I’ve waited years so a week more or whatever is not much. Seems like people hold onto this model, you don’t see them coming up for sale used a whole lot. I’d love the have a Gibson version but they are really pricey when they do come on the market.
A lot of people are complaining about not having a hard case but I think a lot of the new soft cases are pretty good at protecting for normal use. We’ll see when it gets here.

I’ll post more when it arrives.

-Jim

On 10/22/2021 at 3:06 AM, JimB1 said:

Well, I broke down and ordered one of the new Lucille models. I have wanted one of these for years but opportunity and money never coincided then they got discontinued. I read the new one was coming a few months back so I’ve been waffling on spending the cash but life is short so I pulled the trigger on it tonight. Not sure when it’ll get here but I’ve waited years so a week more or whatever is not much. Seems like people hold onto this model, you don’t see them coming up for sale used a whole lot. I’d love the have a Gibson version but they are really pricey when they do come on the market.
A lot of people are complaining about not having a hard case but I think a lot of the new soft cases are pretty good at protecting for normal use. We’ll see when it gets here.

I’ll post more when it arrives.

-Jim

You may have to wait longer, unless they had it in the store  when you ordered it. But very cool. 

Does Epiphone ship with softcases now? 

It appears these new versions of the Lucille do come with a 'epilite' case which actually looks quite nice.

It seems these are being given similar specs to other signature models, with the previous version being basically a standard run model. 

These have cts pots etc. I wonder how long they will be around?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, finally got around to taking some photos. I think Epiphone is really getting much better at their finishes. I’m not a huge fan of poly on a guitar but it is much thinner now than many older Epiphone’s and looks very shiny as you can see from the glare 🙂

The neck is nice, seems a bit more chunky than the newer Les Pauls out there which is good for me, I like the feel. The finish on the neck is a little grippy, might need to use fret ease or something on it. The ebony fretboard looks very classy. 

I really like the tuners, both the shape and functionality. Not sure what the ratios are but they are very predictable with no slack or weird stickiness like the ones on my Gibson ES Les Paul have.  I really need to change those out.

Alnico Pros are the right pickup for this model, not to hot but can still bite when you need them to. No idea what I am doing with the Varitone yet so I can’t comment on it too much. 

The case is reasonably good. My only real gripe is that there’s no place to put anything other than the guitar. The area that would be a storage space in a hard case is a solid block of foam so you only have an unprotected pocket on top which is ok for a cable, maybe some sheet music but that’s about it. 

Overall I am really enjoying the new guitar. If you are in the market for a semi hollow, it’s a little more expensive than some but the value is there so I am happy with the cost. 

-Jim

F281B233-0FE0-41EF-8849-C247D2F1FBC6.jpeg

63CD975D-5F31-4891-A475-C8A473CC01F9.jpeg

Edited by JimB1
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I had a varitone once on an electra lp copy, it was great for recording. I rewired it for standard wiring and immediately knew I should have left it alone. All the variety of tones was great, and i ruined the varitone when i removed it! Well, at least it was a learning exp. Awesome guitar btw, I have a semi but never played bbs with no f holes