Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul G0 vs Gibson Les Paul Custom for 90's rock?

cave89

Hello everyone,

I would love some advice from you guys. I currently have a 2016 G0 Les Paul which I love, killer guitar... ...as the title suggest I'm a huge 90's rock fan and I mostly play that kind of stuff  (Tool, HELMET, Soundgarden, etc.) SO, I came across a very nice almost new 2021 Les Paul Custom in Alpine White (Not my fav color on a Custom, but I'm more of a "tone" over "looks" kind of guy), the owner is looking for a trade and he wants my G0 for it. My main amp is a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier and I also have a 2013 61 Reissue SG. There's no doubt that "The Les Paul Sound" is where I live in terms of tone quest, I specially love a good "Gained up Les Paul tone", I've always found that the G0 is a more vintage voiced guitar and this got me thinking, should I go ahead and trade in my g0? .

What do you guys think I could gain/lose if I go ahead with the trade in terms of Value, Playability, overall Tone and Sustain. I'm reading ya...

At that level, "value",  playability,  tone,  sustain, all those things are pretty much par for the guitar.  If you can't play the stuff you play with authority and authenticity using either, well, no guitar is going to work for you.  Whichever one you like better will do.

rct

• Like 1

Hey thanks for the super helpful reply. I'm not sure how I missed that thread. I haven't quite mastered the search function on here. The Information you shared above is great. I have been reading all you shared here. In this you explained everything very well. Thanks I am going to bookmark this https://forum.gibson.com/topic/165134-gibson-les-paul-g0-vs-gibson-les-paul-custom-for-90s-rock/?tab=comments#comment-2119211-results/.

OK, now that I know a GO is a 60 re-issue I'd say stick with that.  The main difference between the two would be the pickups.  The new Custom will have 490 and a 498 pickups which are a little hotter brighter sound.  The re-issue should have something imitating PAF pickups and have that "vintage" LP tone you mention.  You can't go wrong with that and just because you enjoy playing 90s rock now doesn't mean that is what you will always want to play.  Of course without playing and hearing the two guitars I can't really make a great recommendation, but for my money I'd stick with the one you have. 

If we are noting opinions, I wouldn’t trade a G0 for a Custom. I like the reissues more than the modern LPs. And I’ve never traded anything other than money for a guitar in my lifetime. I mean if you have something you love as you say then to gamble it on some other guitar doesn’t make sense to me. 

Thank for the comments guys, I didn't do it. I did my research on the web last night (I'm not too familiar with Custom Lesters) and came to the conclusion that a Custom is just a "Fancier" standard, in a sense that its premium price its more about the "bling" and less about the tone. They do look killer though, i'll tell you that... specially in Ebony and Silverburst, but after a couple of hours playing my historic today I really realized how good of a guitar it is, from its construction to its natural "harmonic rich" Les Paul tone... anyway, here she is!:

9961BF2A-D495-4AF8-A011-842B47FCBBBA.jpeg

• Thanks 1