Gibson Brands Forums

Things That Make Me Go . . . Hummm

Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's it. They should re-brand themselves as 'NO'

The thing is Jon, Bill, and Rick are still alive. Rick is a classic member and Jon and Bill are original members. Howe just want to do it his way. There last bunch of albums (Fly From Here, The Quest, and Heaven And Earth) were awful. 

Personally, I thought they lost their "edge"(no pun intended) when Bruford left.  And he left largely(I heard) because he got tired of the unreliability and other nonsense bassist Squire displayed throughout the CTTE recording sessions.  Basically the same reason Noel Redding gave about Hendrix(during the Electric Ladyland sessions) as his reason for leaving.  But now, since Squire is no longer, I don't see Bill as having a reason for not getting in on this thing.  Unless he has no desire to come out of retirement.

From the late '60's to the '80's and beyond Bruford has been one of my three "tied for first" favorite drummers along with Aynsley Dunbar and Mitch Mitchell.

Whitefang

18 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Personally, I thought they lost their "edge"(no pun intended) when Bruford left.  And he left largely(I heard) because he got tired of the unreliability and other nonsense bassist Squire displayed throughout the CTTE recording sessions.  Basically the same reason Noel Redding gave about Hendrix(during the Electric Ladyland sessions) as his reason for leaving.  But now, since Squire is no longer, I don't see Bill as having a reason for not getting in on this thing.  Unless he has no desire to come out of retirement.

From the late '60's to the '80's and beyond Bruford has been one of my three "tied for first" favorite drummers along with Aynsley Dunbar and Mitch Mitchell.

Whitefang

I love Bills drumming. I have a few of is solo albums and the one UK album he was on, and of course the revamped King Crimson stuff from the early 80's. Saw the Beat and Three Of A Perfect Pair Tours and Bill was hitting stuff with sticks. I remember he came out on The Sheltering Sky and was playing a little wooden box called a Slit Drum. On Waiting Man, Bill and Adrian came out for about a few minute, and they both played a few stand alone electronic drums and then Tony and Mr, Fripp entered the scene. This was not the show I was at, I saw them in Berkeley, CA.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I saw Bruford with King Crimson at that time alongside percussionist Jamie Muir. Bill always finished up dripping with sweat. Terrific drummer. 

• Like 1