Gibson Brands Forums

Things That Make Me Go . . . Hummm

Sgt. Pepper

So over here in The USA we are country of Capitalist's Dogs. When us Americans travel outside the USA we are the loud, ugly Americans. Many counties would love to see us wiped off the planet, yet many, not all, want to come here, and visit or take up residence here and be American citizens.  Wait, I though your country was so great, and ours is s-hit? And then when they get here, and become citizens they want to talk s-hit about it.

Let's try not to get political. As I tried to make it as non-political as I could.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

there are many outside your country that really "like it " ,myself included,  and visit the USA  to see the good that your country has to offer  ,even  tho , ,  like every country, its not perfect, as long  as its a freedom loving democracy its all right in my books. People,  Americans included, are allways going to find reasons  to put down about the "other " countries of  world,  but, I feel that  looking  for the good in  somewhere or something gives us a a better world view and maybe some hope for better days to come.... have a nice day folks , Jim

• Thanks 3

14 minutes ago, jvi said:

there are many outside your country that really "like it " ,myself included,  and visit the USA  to see the good that your country has to offer  ,even  tho , ,  like every country, its not perfect, as long  as its a freedom loving democracy its all right in my books. People,  Americans included, are allways going to find reasons  to put down about the "other " countries of  world,  but, I feel that  looking  for the good in  somewhere or something gives us a a better world view and maybe some hope for better days to come.... have a nice day folks , Jim

I'm not putting down other countries. I want to know why someone who hates this place wants to come here. I know,  its a rhetorical question. But I hate when people come here to get away form the oppressions of a different country and then want to bash the place they now chose to live.

I think "always" has one "L".

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not putting down other countries. I want to know why someone who hates this place wants to come here. I know,  its a rhetorical question. But I hate when people come here to get away form the oppressions of a different country and then want to bash the place they now chose to live.

And just like me learn to spell. Always has one "L".

as a person with a severe lack of education who didnt "learn to spell",  Ive adapted just fine, (for myself ) . I gotta ask -why do you allways seem  to focus on hate for people ? forget the people you dont like  and focus on the ones you do like and the world may seem better to you....imagine   ... just being positive ...imagine...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jvi said:

as a person with a severe lack of education who didnt "learn to spell",  Ive adapted just fine, (for myself ) . I gotta ask -why do you allways seem  to focus on hate for people ? forget the people you dont like  and focus on the ones you do like and the world may seem better to you....imagine   ... just being positive ...imagine...

You always point out when I misspell stuff, so back at. I guess my view of the world is not as shinny and happy as your. How much of this world have you seen. I've been all over, North and South America, Europe, The Caribbean, Middle East, The Far East, and The South Pacific. I've experienced first hand people not liking me cause I'm from the USA. Then they come over here and b-itch that its not fair, when I was treated the same way in other counties. 

When I was in Hawaii, I was called "Fukin Howlie" all the time, and was told on the beach "This is our beach howlie". I was called other stuff to outside my country.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Ive been called **** too, long hair all my life and hated for that, people hate people, but if we cant make ourselves find the good thats still around us we lose more.

my travels only include North America, both sides and mid Canada, and a great year, 78-79  in Texas- shrippin out of Galveston and Port Boliver, then off to Houstin for a factory job beside the ol Astrodome, then LA for a while, great folks everywhere but yeah, some no so great, I remember the great more than the sheet...I think gas was being rationed in LA at the time...I still rember that SG on the wall at rockin robin in houston  texas for 100 bucks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, jvi said:

Ive been called **** too, long hair all my life and hated for that, people hate people, but if we cant make ourselves find the good thats still around us we lose more.

my travels only include North America, both sides and mid Canada, and a great year, 78-79  in Texas- shrippin out of Galveston and Port Boliver, then off to Houstin for a factory job beside the ol Astrodome, then LA for a while, great folks everywhere but yeah, some no so great, I remember the great more than the sheet...I think gas was being rationed in LA at the time...I still rember that SG on the wall at rockin robin in houston  texas for 100 bucks.

I used to go to Galveston all the time to when I was in the USCG. Great Mexican food, and remember the dirty brown water of the Gulf of Mexico. The shrimp form there are good. 

Houston is war zone. You take your life in your own hands going there. 

Yeah back in the 60's having long hair was a badge of honor and something the straights despised, but nowadays many people want to accept anyone for anything no matter how ridiculous it is. Like identifying that you are a cat. 

https://lgbta.fandom.com/wiki/Catgender#:~:text=It was made with neurodivergent,anyone may identify as catgender.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

"Howlie"?   What's that supposed to mean?

I sort of bristle a bit at those who wish to move here, take up residence, live in our neighborhoods, and become citizens, but still wish to live like they're still back in "the old country".  There's a family story about that....

Back when my grandmother was 14(1921) My Great Grandfather handed her a box of simple food staples to take to a neighboring farm  which a new family just moved into, as a welcoming gift.  She walked the mile to the place and when she got there, noticed it was an Italian family.  And walking up to the house, also noticed how it was decorated.  Typically with a checkered tablecloth on the kitchen table,  the familiar wine bottle as candlestick holder and hams and sausages hanging on the kitchen walls and flowers everywhere.  She said that to her, it looked just like she imagined a farmhouse in Italy would look like.

Returning home, she asked her Father(my Great Grandfather),  "why don't we have anything in our house or on our farm to show that we're Polish?"  and explained and described what she saw at the other farm.  My Great Grandfather led the to the door, opened it up and pointed to the mailbox next to the road.  "Look on that mailbox.  Is the name Korawlski.  That's not Polish enough for you?"  To which my Grandmother replied by again stating the other people's house looked like what a farmhouse in Italy would look like.  And to which my Great Grandfather replied,

"If I wanted my house to look like a house in Poland, I would have STAYED in Poland!"  And walked off shaking his head.

As for the stated issue...  Like my wife told me when one of her sisters got me angry and I called the sister a bad name,  "Don't call my sister a name like that!"  "But",  I said, "You call her that all the time!"  And she answered, "Yeah.  But she's MY sister!"  [wink]  So if those who chose to move here, after becoming citizens and lived here a good spell, I'd say they have just as much right as we natural born citizens do to gripe, complain and bash.  But until then, shut the fuk up.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Foreigner"?  In HAWAII?   What!  Did they think you came from BRITAIN or elsewhere Europe somewhere?  

I'd more go along with the Hawaiian form of "H o n k i e".

And that was the "confused" emoticon, and it was me .  And I typed my words in this post.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

"Foreigner"?  In HAWAII?   What!  Did they think you came from BRITAIN or elsewhere Europe somewhere?  

I'd more go along with the Hawaiian form of "H o n k i e".

Whitefang

I know. Hawaii is the 50th state of let me think  . . . oh yeah of the USA. 

Opps spelled it wrong.

Definition of haole

Hawaii, sometimes disparaging + offensive. : one who is not descended from the aboriginal Polynesian inhabitants of Hawaii especially : white.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

Haole ... It is popular belief by those who have dissected the word haole (“ha” means breath of life and “‘ole” means “without”) that it literally means “no breath.”

To help understand a little deeper, is that when Hawaiians talk to God they shout putting more effort into it and they observed that Europeans pray silently or softly, they are not trying very hard to let God hear them, with "no breath".

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've been all over, North and South America, Europe, The Caribbean, Middle East, The Far East, and The South Pacific. I've experienced first hand people not liking me cause I'm from the USA. Then they come over here and b-itch that its not fair, when I was treated the same way in other counties. 

Were you in uniform? If so, maybe that had something to do with it.

Being a southerner, I see a mass migration of people from the north who come here due to their perception that we are laid back, hospitable, stupid, but most of all, we pay lower taxes and have a lower standard of living. When they get here, many then want to cut us for the same reasons. 

9 minutes ago, zigzag said:

Were you in uniform? If so, maybe that had something to do with it.

Being a southerner, I see a mass migration of people from the north who come here due to their perception that we are laid back, hospitable, stupid, but most of all, we pay lower taxes and have a lower standard of living. When they get here, many then want to cut us for the same reasons. 

Yes but never on liberty. I was always in street clothes out on town.

And Europe I went there with my girlfriend. Canada with my wife.

I know your in SC and I have a house there and we both how South Carolinian’s can be. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

While in the Army I spent time in the Orient, Europe and Mexico, generally we were viewed as young men with too much money out to get drunk and go whoring. When I returned to the US in the late 60's, landing at the Seattle Aiport, wearing my uniform, there were protestors yelling and spitting at me as I walked in from the plane.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

While in the Army I spent time in the Orient, Europe and Mexico, generally we were viewed as young men with too much money out to get drunk and go whoring. When I returned to the US in the late 60's, landing at the Seattle Aiport, wearing my uniform, there were protestors yelling and spitting at me as I walked in from the plane.

Many times my country makes me sick. 

38 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I do appreciate that our attitude towards returning military has greatly changed, but we still need to take better care of the ones that need help.

I served 23 years and in no way shape or form was I a hero. I served cause I wanted to.

Some of the reputation is deserved I think, but we're not all created equal.  

I went to Finland back in 2012, I was surprised and impressed with the way the conduct themselves in day to day living.

For example, If you walk into a conference room, or sit down at lunch with them, they will immediately start talking in English so that you can understand them and know the conversation.

"it would be rude to continue talking when you could not understand"   They all speak perfect English too.  Some accents are bit harder to get thru, but they know the language.  They have to be fluent in English, Swiss and Finish to graduate high school.  Contrast that to here, and how some people conduct themselves in pubilc.

Another oddity.. We were walking back to the hotel in Helsinki one night after some bar hoping.  When we reached the intersection where the traffic lights were, the "don't walk" sign was lit.

There wasn't a car in site,  we waited for the "Walk" sign before anyone crossed the road.  It was February, and about -20 that night.

That was another thing I noticed, these guys were impervious to the weather.  There were out side bars running year round it seemed,  people were just hanging around in the dead of winter, having pints and whooping it up.

Edited by kidblast

29 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Europeans came to this land, killed most of the people here, forced the rest onto 'reservations' and completely changed it to suit their tastes.   Now their descendents have a right to complain when "outsiders" come to this country and try to change it to suit their needs?   Things that make me go hmmmmmmm.

It may not be right but history is written the the winners.  The world would be a different place had Germany won WW II.