Gibson Brands Forums

Things That Make Me Go . . . Hummm

Sgt. Pepper

29 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

If  I have to explain what 'First Generation'  means - then I suggest you should be asking for your money back from whatever schools you may have attended.     And, if you don't understand what 'first generation' means -  you'll certainly not understand any other part of my post.     I'm shocked.  Shocked I tell you.  

I know what first generation means silly! I was asking as to the context of your post which I don’t understand. First generation what? Fortyyearspickin, French, Spanish, English, Model T Ford? 1G?

Just think, your tax dollars may have paid for my education! Maybe you should have forked out a little more.

14 minutes ago, gdecant1 said:

Just think, your tax dollars may have paid for my education! Maybe you should have forked out a little more.

If any of you on this forum paid taxes from 1997 - 2003 you paid for my college education. I got it when I was active duty in the military, so just want to say thanks.

29 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

I think "fuk" also has one "c".

Fuk does have a C, but then I have to hyphenate it, so it doesn’t get filtered, and I’m lazy. 
I was not be English major, I was Liberal Arts major and I not sppel so’s goop.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If any of you on this forum paid taxes from 1997 - 2003 you paid for my college education. I got it when I was active duty in the military, so just want to say thanks.

You’re  welcome, and thank you for your service. The armed services isn’t a gravy train.

2 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

You’re  welcome, and thank you for your service. The armed services isn’t a gravy train.

When I was in it wasn’t, today it’s a sham. I’ve worked as a contractor many times for the US Navy, and I’ve seen the Chiefs walk into the shop for morning muster, and not one of his or her subordinates acknowledge their presence, and they all had their head down in their cells phones or were playin Xbox, in my day if you did that you would have gotten your butt chewed for about 15 min and then you were getting the worst job imaginable. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah, what does it want me to do when I see the 7 on the third line.

I get confused a lot. You're basicaly playing the Graf or staff upside down. 7 on 3rd line from the top would be 7th fret D.

Or how I take it anyway. But they can throw a lot of confusion in there. 

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

And our son John, says thank you for paying for his also Sgt.  Lol

9 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I used to do those in my 20s/early 30s. Gave it up. 

To apolitical, not Nietzsche compatible enough. No Just too 'tabby'. It made me feel too clean.

My cousin, Steve tight me how to read a music staff when I was a teen but since, I totally forgot how.  Once I learn a song, I try writing the chords down with the lyrics and where the changes are. Those with tabs? Well they are a bit tougher for me. I just try and memorize the song. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m retired now like you, and love mine too. Get up about 10am. Make coffee, decide which awful Martin to play. What a tough life. 

It is tough isn't it? I get up each day when I wake up. That seems to be 8:00 to 8:30. If I had a couple of outstanding acoustics, I might sell off the electrics.  Solos are getting much harder for me to play. (Memory."). I still think that stupid brain tumor cursed me. Doctors said way back, it would affect my memory and early arthritis which both I have now. I can chord much easier than play lead. Always wanted a Guild, but I'm not sure about Jumbo's. Too big. 

5 minutes ago, Retired said:

It is tough isn't it? I get up each day when I wake up. That seems to be 8:00 to 8:30. If I had a couple of outstanding acoustics, I might sell off the electrics.  Solos are getting much harder for me to play. (Memory."). I still think that stupid brain tumor cursed me. Doctors said way back, it would affect my memory and early arthritis which both I have now. I can chord much easier than play lead. Always wanted a Guild, but I'm not sure about Jumbo's. Too big. 

I sold all my electrics when Henry was ousted. I owned only one Guild. A  USA made JF-30. Heavy as all get out. Maple B/S and Spruce top. Killer guitar, Maple just didn’t wow me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I sold all my electrics when Henry was ousted. I owned only one Guild. A  USA made JF-30. Heavy as all get out. Maple B/S and Spruce top. Killer guitar, Maple just didn’t wow me.

Dietze has many Taylers and Martins. Never knew which was better? Both sound good. G.C. carries a wide selection. You know, come to think of it, I remember you selling your guitars off. So did you go to playing folk songs?  What does James Taylor play mostly? I love his music. 

4 minutes ago, Retired said:

Dietze has many Taylers and Martins. Never knew which was better? Both sound good. G.C. carries a wide selection. You know, come to think of it, I remember you selling your guitars off. So did you go to playing folk songs?  What does James Taylor play mostly? I love his music. 

Custom stuff? Not sure. Haven’t listened to him in years.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 hours ago, Retired said:

My cousin, Steve tight me how to read a music staff when I was a teen but since, I totally forgot how.  Once I learn a song, I try writing the chords down with the lyrics and where the changes are. Those with tabs? Well they are a bit tougher for me. I just try and memorize the song. 

TBH I even struggle to learn by ear now. I used to be pretty good at it when I was learning songs all the time. Its a knack you can lose though; as I found out to my cost. 

I use web sites to look up chord patterns. That's far from perfect too. They don't all agree. I usually look at 3 and cobble together the parts that sound best to me. 

18 hours ago, Mr. Natural said:

I think "fuk" also has one "c".

Sure, but like Sarge, I posted in a way so it doesn't get the "star" treatment(**) 

12 hours ago, Retired said:

My grade school had a "music class" up until the 3rd or 4th grade.  I remember the teacher, Mrs. Snyder.  And all I remember from it is the value of certain notes(Full note, half note, quarter note, etc.)  Time signature stuff like 4/4= four notes to the measure, the quarter note gets one beat.  And like that.

And the notes on the staff this way(from bottom to top) Every Good Boy Does Fine;  with the spaces being the word FACE.  Which over the years helped my not one iota music-wise.  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

My grade school had a "music class" up until the 3rd or 4th grade.  I remember the teacher, Mrs. Snyder.  And all I remember from it is the value of certain notes(Full note, half note, quarter note, etc.)  Time signature stuff like 4/4= four notes to the measure, the quarter note gets one beat.  And like that.

217612087_4675942582438143_2295219525390

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Retired said:

These

https://guitarplayerhq.com/what-guitar-does-james-taylor-play/#:~:text=instrument to instrument.-,James Taylor Guitars,really brings out his sound.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Custom stuff? Not sure. Haven’t listened to him in years.

James Taylor is one  of my wife's favorite's. Dan Fogelberg also. I like Fogelberg better.  Nah, I think both places carry lower end acoustics. I thought 3 grand or so was tops at both.