Gibson Brands Forums

Things That Make Me Go . . . Hummm

Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Retired said:

James Taylor is one  of my wife's favorite's. Dan Fogelberg also. I like Fogelberg better.  Nah, I think both places carry lower end acoustics. I thought 3 grand or so was tops at both. 

I haven't listened to Dan in years either. I need to give them both a listen. 

15 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

TBH I even struggle to learn by ear now. I used to be pretty good at it when I was learning songs all the time. Its a knack you can lose though; as I found out to my cost. 

I use web sites to look up chord patterns. That's far from perfect too. They don't all agree. I usually look at 3 and cobble together the parts that sound best to me. 

Really? I thought it was just me? Yeah, as a teen, I could listen to a record and replay it a few times and pick out a song and play it within a day. Fred taught me that one when I was 13. That's how I learned, Smoke on water, Hawaii 5 O' and a bunch more.  Ha! I can't do that anymore either.  I do web sites still, I am on Justin Guitar also. 

7 minutes ago, Retired said:

Really? I thought it was just me? Yeah, as a teen, I could listen to a record and replay it a few times and pick out a song and play it within a day. Fred taught me that one when I was 13. That's how I learned, Smoke on water, Hawaii 5 O' and a bunch more.  Ha! I can't do that anymore either.  I do web sites still, I am on Justin Guitar also. 

I never could listen to an album and figure it out, I'm dumb.

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure, but like Sarge, I posted in a way so it doesn't get the "star" treatment(**) 

My grade school had a "music class" up until the 3rd or 4th grade.  I remember the teacher, Mrs. Snyder.  And all I remember from it is the value of certain notes(Full note, half note, quarter note, etc.)  Time signature stuff like 4/4= four notes to the measure, the quarter note gets one beat.  And like that.

And the notes on the staff this way(from bottom to top) Every Good Boy Does Fine;  with the spaces being the word FACE.  Which over the years helped my not one iota music-wise.  [wink]

Whitefang

In high school, I was in boys glee, madrigal, choir, barbershop. I never did take band. Yeah, when I sold off all the guitars at 28 years old, Then picked it up again at 60, I had to relearn so much. Guess I was in more of a hurry to learn and play songs. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Retired said:

In high school, I was in boys glee, madrigal, choir, barbershop. I never did take band. Yeah, when I sold off all the guitars at 28 years old, Then picked it up again at 60, I had to relearn so much. Guess I was in more of a hurry to learn and play songs. 

I started around 15 (1981), or so and played till about 19 or 20. At 21 joined the USN. Then in 2005, or so I had just gotten my tax return back and had a fist full of dollars, and saw an American made Tele in a store at a good price and laid down the cash. Now I only play guitars that must be broken, cause they have a big hole on the top, but only one, not two holes. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never could listen to an album and figure it out, I'm dumb.

No your not.  Fred played in a band in Council Bluffs decades back. That was my first cousin that taught me to play guitar. Fred couldn't read a drop of music. He was one of the first ones that played with the Rumbles. Or someplace around its beginnings.  So I just repeated what he showed me on the guitar, we played together when I learned the song at the end of the week. He showed me a trick about listening to a record and backing it up a lot and how to pick out the song. That I forgot how to do way back when I quit at 28 yr's old. Figure from 28 to 60, I lost 32 years playing. 

9 minutes ago, Retired said:

No your not.  Fred played in a band in Council Bluffs decades back. That was my first cousin that taught me to play guitar. Fred couldn't read a drop of music. He was one of the first ones that played with the Rumbles. Or someplace around its beginnings.  So I just repeated what he showed me on the guitar, we played together when I learned the song at the end of the week. He showed me a trick about listening to a record and backing it up a lot and how to pick out the song. That I forgot how to do way back when I quit at 28 yr's old. Figure from 28 to 60, I lost 32 years playing. 

I didn't play for 24. I've been listening to Gerry Rafferty - City To City and Night Owl the past week. Damn those are good. And The Kinks. Those guys were so good and totally ignored. 

9 minutes ago, Retired said:

Ah, Gibson J-50 was one of his first ones.  Martin and he makes his own Taylor guitars. Thanks Sgt. Deb and I saw him once, decades back. 

I saw his son Ben once, but never him. He talked about his dad and mom (Carly) on stage. I met him and got his autograph. After the show we had a get together for the non-profit org. he played for. My wife was the webmaster for them and that was how I went. He just wanted to chat will all the pretty women after the show, can't blame him. He was okay. I'm glad it was free for me and my wife. I've had the chance to see James a few times, and I think he came around here right before the world went germaphobe.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I started around 15 (1981), or so and played till about 19 or 20. At 21 joined the USN. Then in 2005, or so I had just gotten my tax return back and had a fist full of dollars, and saw an American made Tele in a store at a good price and laid down the cash. Now I only play guitars that must be broken, cause they have a big hole on the top, but only one, not two holes. 

When I left the Railroad, my first guitar was a Fender acoustic from Guitar center for $100.00. I signed up to Guitar Tricks and relearned as much as I could for the next 4 years. I played the crap out of that Fender. 6 to 8 hours per day every day 7 days a week. Haha, It even plugged in a amp. Funniest thing, I sold it back to GC when I wanted a better acoustic for the same $100.00 cash. It even had some nicks and dings.  I was shocked they gave me that much back. 

46 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Broken? Lol. Now, I've seen Willie Nelsons guitar he plays all the time. Now there's a broken guitar. Still sounds good to doesn't  it?  Yeah so you got distracted also. I also drag raced several years.  I had 3 different drag cars I ran in the NHRA.  I quit that about when our son was born. 

55 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

How old are you Sgt? If I might ask?  I'll be 69 April 22.  So you played for about 5 years or so and quit, and picked it up again in 2005. I played for around 15 years and quit and picked it up again in 2013.  Yeah so we missed out on so many years and you forget that stuff.  Drag racing was my big distraction. I had visions of making it big in racing.  Actually I could say getting married ended it for me Lol. I let Debbie talk me into quitting racing. My second to the  last race of the year,  I came off the line, The car went straight up and busted a wheelie bar in back, and came back down hard. The car shot off to the right, towards the cornfield, and I hit the brakes to get it under control and cruised on through. One of the Coni coil Over Shocks busted and shot off somewhere? In the 70's those were about $350.00 apiece. No one had a spare one so that put me out for the season and Deb started pressuring me to quit before "John's daddy gets killed on the drag strip." 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I didn't play for 24. I've been listening to Gerry Rafferty - City To City and Night Owl the past week. Damn those are good. And The Kinks. Those guys were so good and totally ignored. 

Ah yes, the Kinks. I forgot about them. I have been trying to relearn Walk Don't Run.  I haven't played it on a cd yet, Just reading my tabs I had. But I get to a certain part and the tabs make no since?  I am wondering if I need to resign with Guitar Tricks again? They got more pricey though. 

I saw his son Ben once, but never him. He talked about his dad and mom (Carly) on stage. I met him and got his autograph. After the show we had a get together for the non-profit org. he played for. My wife was the webmaster for them and that was how I went. He just wanted to chat will all the pretty women after the show, can't blame him. He was okay. I'm glad it was free for me and my wife. I've had the chance to see James a few times, and I think he came around here right before the world went germaphobe.

James was very good. Deb always wanted to see  James and Carly together but missed out on that. She had a chance to see the Beatles together before we met but broke her foot which made that impossible at the time. Yeah, this Covid seems to be going on forever? I'm wondering if it will ever end? 

6 hours ago, Retired said:

James was very good. Deb always wanted to see  James and Carly together but missed out on that. She had a chance to see the Beatles together before we met but broke her foot which made that impossible at the time. Yeah, this Covid seems to be going on forever? I'm wondering if it will ever end? 

Sadly if she went she would have only seen The Beatles,  and she would not have heard them.

What about the Super Bowl...  Literally I saw no one wearing masks in the thousands of seats packed nuts-to-butts.  A bunch of rich people packed in one stadium wearing nothing on their faces.  And of course, gotta have the celebrity shots to see the "in-club" of society today...  You know, more "woke" s***.  Again, wearing no masks.  Like, we can just pretend COVID is not going to happen for the SB.  My point is that all this crap you'd hear about if you tune into media garbage today, says one thing, but the most televised event for Americans practically, you see a stadium of no-masks.  But we are going to end racism though...  Only the "peasants" who worked the SB of non-celebrity status were required to wear a mask apparently.  Just so the richers don't breath the same air as these disease infested peasants.  Just another facade to endure...  Uh-oh, another variant going around...  Time to do more futile s*** in the name of protecting our neighbor or whatever BS messaging is on the horizon... 

Said it before, this whole Kung-Flu thing is an atrocity right from the start.  I am in the camp that it is being used as a convenient excuse by the world governments and corporations to power grab by affecting supply chains, money supply, etc.  Just look at Canada and how oppressive the Canadian government is to non-vaxers and protesters of mask wearing.  I read Canada is starting to affect those protesters financials and things associated with that...  A bit too draconian perhaps?  I know it is to protect the "lost money" of these corporations, because the "media" made mention of the lost moneys.  Hummmmmm.... 

So I've sort of changed my tune on COVID and the non-vaxers.  If you don't want a shot, at your own risk.  I chose to get my vaccine and booster and probably will get another one when the time comes.  But if you don't want to get one, your call I guess.  I don't believe that the government should oppress you because you don't take a flipping shot...  That s*** right there is NOT freedom what's going on in Canada...  Those protesters have a voice too, right?  They are being forced as a citizen of that country to comply in something they do NOT believe in.  I guess they can make up the laws as they go over there. 

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You guys ain't the only ones that had long lay-off spells of not playing your guitars.  I've had a few over my 50+ years of hacking away on one of those. Can't really give any intelligent sounding reason for them though.  And since my mini stroke 8 years ago it's still a struggle, but I'm hangin' in there.  

Here is one. Driving in your car by yourself with a mask on. Are you afraid you have covid and don't want to give it back to yourself?

Ha!  Seems you've SEEN this before?   [wink]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

You guys ain't the only ones that had long lay-off spells of not playing your guitars.  I've had a few over my 50+ years of hacking away on one of those. Can't really give any intelligent sounding reason for them though.  And since my mini stroke 8 years ago it's still a struggle, but I'm hangin' in there.  

Whitefang

When I don't wear my mask, I identity that I have one on, and you can't tell me I don't or I'll call Biden, wait he's napping at 10:30 am, as its right before his noon nap.

• Haha 1

Nighthawk,   Yep.  The Ruling Elite (Hollywood, Politicians and the Ultra-rich) go maskless while the catering company that pays minimum wage forces (or your fired) employees to wear masks while schlepping food and drinks.  Bet the Tip Jars were as empty as the heads of those in the Sky Boxes. 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I think the dish gloves give a nice touch lol!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Nighthawk,   Yep.  The Ruling Elite (Hollywood, Politicians and the Ultra-rich) go maskless while the catering company that pays minimum wage forces (or your fired) employees to wear masks while schlepping food and drinks.  Bet the Tip Jars were as empty as the heads of those in the Sky Boxes. 

There was more ice around LeBrons neck than there exists in the Arctic. One of those chains could end world hunger. But you know he’s worth it - upstanding member of society fighting for your rights!

• Like 1