Gibson Brands Forums

‘60 Bird available

AnneS

My local shop just got in a sweet looking 1960 Hummingbird. The owner posted a clip to FB but hasn’t posted it to youtube or his shop site yet.  

If you’re interested, look up Acoustic Corner (Black Mountain, NC) on Facebook to view the clip, or give the shop a call. No affiliation with David, the owner, but I’ve worked with him several times and highly recommend him.

• Thanks 1

Ooouuuhh, , , what a gem. Sounds very strong in this clip. Could be good to hear a slightly lighter touch. The nuances of f-picking etc. . . 

And that is 1 seriously cool burst.

A lucky happy owner waits in the wings - not this pen-holder - he has the model covered. 😽

3 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes - a more traditional faded burst. Unfortunately they never demoed that one, it seems. 

That ‘61 sold more than a year ago, I believe. I’m not sure the shop posted demos back then.  David owns the shop as of a few months ago, though, and I think he gets a preliminary demo up as soon as something special lands. 
I’m out of town at the moment—if it’s still there next week, I’ll have to check it out.

14 minutes ago, AnneS said:

That ‘61 sold more than a year ago, I believe. I’m not sure the shop posted demos back then.  David owns the shop as of a few months ago, though, and I think he gets a preliminary demo up as soon as something special lands. 
I’m out of town at the moment—if it’s still there next week, I’ll have to check it out.

Please do - and leave a little review here. Hope it hasn't flown when you return. 

• 3 weeks later...

David posted another strumming clip to FB this morning (search Acoustic Corner Black Mountain).  On his website, I see it’s listed for 9k—😳

Still haven’t checked it out, but still hope to.

Speaking of… the Bee Three show’s in town next weekend. Not in the market myself, but it can be fun to wander around, if the electric wannabes don’t drive me out.  (Dunno why everything has to be tried out at 11, in cavernous expo room at that.)

Anyone here going?

4 hours ago, AnneS said:

David posted another strumming clip to FB this morning (search Acoustic Corner Black Mountain).  On his website, I see it’s listed for 9k—😳

Still haven’t checked it out, but still hope to.

Speaking of… the Bee Three show’s in town next weekend. Not in the market myself, but it can be fun to wander around, if the electric wannabes don’t drive me out.  (Dunno why everything has to be tried out at 11, in cavernous expo room at that.)

Anyone here going?

I could never work at a guitar store. Once I go into one, I head straight to the acoustic room. If I had to listen to guys and girls all day trying to impress the people at the store with their chops, I'd loose it.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I could never work at a guitar store. Once I go into one, I head straight to the acoustic room. If I had to listen to guys and girls all day trying to impress the people at the store with their chops, I'd loose it.

Not as hard as bein' in the electric department where oozers play Smoke On The Water all the time every day foreverrr. . .

I see the dilemma. But what are we keen testers supposed to do. Play below our level, just strum a few salvation army-chords, fingerpick Tom Dooley or simply stay quiet  8-[

I was in GC  a few years ago BP, Before the Pandemic, noodling in the Acoustic Room (not the Inner Sanctum where the Martins, Taylors and a couple of Gibsons hang) trying to remember Malagueña from my music lessons, nearly 60 years earlier.  This young guy comes up to me and says  "Wow,  you must be a teacher!"   I thanked him and stopped playing, thinking to myself -  "Decades old muscle memory, fingerpicking a $300 git with horrible action, not remembering the chorus let alone the bridge ....This guy must have the worst guitar teacher in the world!"      But to hedge my bets, I bought the guitar.

(Nope, j/k - didn't buy it, but that was the last time I played at that venue!)