Gibson Brands Forums

Weekly/monthly Elixir discussion

ksdaddy

Elixirs haven't been discussed for, oh, at least a week, so I thought I'd share a few observations. Please rhyme or refute.

I bought a used HD28 in 2017. According to a slip of paper in the case, it had Elixir nano 13-56. I messed with the saddle (and realized Martin knows more about proper saddle height than I do after I choked the tone out of it and replaced it with a new factory one). In the process of saddling, I broke a string and replaced them with a new set of nano 13-56, which have been there ever since. They are shedding fuzz and turning black but I like the sound of them.... I guess... I have NO basis for comparison. I have no aversion to having 4 year old strings on my guitar; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. But I wonder what it might sound like with something else? Do coated strings last longer at the expense of muffling? Or no?

I put a set of Elixir 10-46 on my Les Paul a couple years ago. I don't play it much at all, and since I put the Elixirs on it, I played it even less. I couldn't put my finger on it until the other day I realized they are too slippery! My fingers slide all over them and I don't have any tactile feedback... and it makes the LP feel fretless, which I don't like. They will be changed anon. I have a surplus of GHS boomers due to the untimely death of a friend.

I had Elixir 11-49 on my Strat and it also fell from grace. It just stayed in the case. Taking up space. I might have had the same sensation as the LP but couldn't identify it. I've since put Ernie Ball 13-56 on that thing and it's a monster. No bendy G string on that one. But both Miserlou and Peggy Sue sound "right" now! Strats ain't all about "Lay Down Sally", thank God.

Last fall I received a set of Elixir sample strings. They wanted me to put them on and try them for a while. they were 12-53 and I don't typically use that gauge. I put them on a Martin DM that I keep lights on. I didn't use the guitar much, and certainly didn't go along with their survey in any helpful way. Today I took it down and played it. The strings felt like they were coated in some kind of clay. Not coated, but very 'grippy'. I actually kinda liked it. It was likely oxidation of some kind, which flies in the face of what Elixir is all about.

I've used Elixir strings since back when I got a free set after sending in a promotional coupon more than 20 years ago.  I use what they call "Medium Light"(forgot the gauge)  I've had the set that's on my axe now for about eight years now.  But since my frequency of playing has been greatly reduced since my 2014 mini stroke there's not really a whole lot of wear on them.   And they still sound and feel good.  Never had a problem with 'em.  Even before the stroke. 

As I don't have an electric I can't speak towards those strings.   But as far as their acoustic strings go I have no complaints.

Whitefang

I was introduced to Elixir strings when I bought a Taylor acoustic back in 2003 that came with them from the factory, so I've been playing them on different guitars for almost 20 years now.  They lasted a long time and since Taylor made a point of saying they thought their guitars sounded best with them I stuck with them when it was time for a new set.  They were about twice the price of other strings as I recall ($14 a set vs. $7 or so) but lasted about 3 times as long so I felt it was a decent value.  Having mostly been playing a LP with very low/fast action and light gauge strings I didn't notice them feeling too slick.  Eventually I tried them on my electric guitars as well and again thought they sounded good and lasted a long time.

When Elixir first came out with Phosphor Bronze strings, they sent me a set for free and asked me to try them and let them know what I thought.  I didn't care for them at the time.  PBs are usually considered to be mellower sounding but I heard the opposite, sort of brash and harsh sounding.  I couldn't wait to get them off my acoustic at the time.  

I never really noticed the shredding of the coating until more recently when I looked more closely with new glasses on.  I still have a few new sets for electric guitar so will keep using them until I run out.  I don't currently own a Taylor so my acoustics all have D'Addario EJ16s or EJ17s on them now - not because I think they are particularly great but just that is what they had on when I bought the guitars and I liked the way they sounded so I stuck with them.  I have one long scale dread that uses .013 - .056 gauge and I put Martin Flexible Core strings on it to try to make it a little easier to play, but didn't notice much difference in the tension or feel.

So overall I'd say my experience with Elixirs has been good.  Again they are expensive, but in the long run I think they work out pretty well. 

I no longer use them, though I probably still have a set or 2 about somewhere.

I used the polywebs. I did string comparison tests about 8 years ago. Yes I think they last a little longer, but the coating eventually comes off in the area of picking. I think they would last a lot longer for fingerpickers. Maybe when I come across a pack I'll try them again (I've mostly fingerpicked since not playing in a band).