Gibson Brands Forums

Epi wanted for a newbie as a gift

Rabs

Hello all you Epi people...

I dont often show my face on this side of the forum..  No real reason, I guess I get enough guitar related nonsense in the Gibson areas  🙂

Anyway..  My niece is 13 soon..  Apparently shes in to Nirvana, Pink Floyd, Green Day and the Gorillaz (who I like too)... And she wants to start learning the guitar..

And well, me being me, I am of course going to support that fully.. So I have decided to get a guitar.. She said she will be getting some proper lessons at school for which I would imagine she will need an acoustic or classical guitar (will they teach on an electric?) but we can get one of those anywhere for her to learn the basics at school. The thing is theres so many options, but again, me being me I am instantly drawn to a Gibson style guitar.. But  I dont know that much about them.  

This is the one I really like for her but its £355 which is ok in itself but you just never know with kids if this is a phase of something she will stick too.. And of course if she does I will happily upgrade her again in a few years.

This is a LP Classic with Mahogany set neck, Mahogany body with Maple cap and a slim C shape neck..

epiphone-les-paul-classic-worn-purple_1_GIT0051922-000.jpg

Thats my favourite when I look at the options.. Its probably a bit much for a total newbie though?????   How heavy are these guitars? She is also quite small for her age so I do think weight is a big consideration..

On the slightly cheaper end we have something like this a LP Special VE..   Bolt on neck and all Mahogany for £148..  But I have to wonder at that price how good it will be? So what say you guys?

epiphone-les-paul-studio-lt-vintage-sunburst-_1_GIT0042552-000.jpg

Edited by Rabs

Try peach guitars they give pictures and weights of every guitar over £350. 

I have an older epi lp, I don't know its weight but it's about the same as my Gibson. 

My daughter also took lessons at school at 13, they provided her with a crap classical but she didn't stick to it long anyway. When she was practicing at home she was using mine, she did like the smaller feel of the lp compared to acoustics or my semis, the one she favored was my non reverse firebird though. I guess the thinner body, lighter weight and its it's looks were the main factor.

Personally I would look at the Wilshire, they seem to come in at around 6-7 lb, have the thinner body and of course are an epiphone original.

Ok, many thanks for the reply..

We also have a stock issue over here as you may know..  Getting what you want exactly these days is harder than it used to be.

I did go and have a look today in a couple of shops...  PMT had almost nothing and then despite me saying I would never go there again theres aDV247 right around the corner so I went there too. The main thing is I want to get her a comfortable guitar.. Very very few of any make or model I picked up today was light..  Of all the ones I tried there was a Squire Mustang which even though had a different colour scheme I thought was ok

5pSs2ZD.jpg

After todays experiences I think if I could find an Epi LP Junior it would probably do the trick.

Yeah some of the stock issues have been ridiculous, I wanted a gibson 335 for almost 2 years, now you can get them I'm not interested anymore!

Those mustangs are supposed to be very good for the price. I've never played one though.

There is also the Epiphone lp special, which will obviously be lighter, but I'm not sure on the neck profile? I know the Gibson is thick.

You probably are going down the right path with the junior though, always room to move up. You will soon be showing her the custom shop.

On 4/7/2022 at 7:42 PM, mihcmac said:

I wonder two things about a guitar like that for a newbie.

A, P90s. While I think they are amazing pickups, I also think they are not always to everyones taste AND I wonder about hum and her learning how to control that on top of learning how to play.

B, I have no problems with a single pickup guitar, but again for a newbie I want her to understand the full range of sounds you can get with a two pickup guitar.

If you see what I mean. While I have always loved a P90, my experience on here from reading other peoples thoughts is that it takes experience to understand P90s over humbuckers.

51 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I wonder two things about a guitar like that for a newbie.

A, P90s. While I think they are amazing pickups, I also think they are not always to everyones taste AND I wonder about hum and her learning how to control that on top of learning how to play.

B, I have no problems with a single pickup guitar, but again for a newbie I want her to understand the full range of sounds you can get with a two pickup guitar.

If you see what I mean. While I have always loved a P90, my experience on here from reading other peoples thoughts is that it takes experience to understand P90s over humbuckers.

One thing to take into account is that P90's are not any noisier that the single coils on a Strat or Tele at the the same DB.

I love them, the Billy Joe LP in the pack is a very simple basic guitar but there is an upgraded sig model with a set neck and solid mahogany body.

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIJJ7719/Classic-White

Also a less expensive LP pack with Humbuckers.

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIJIZ896/Vintage-Sunburst

last thought is that there are quite a few used G400 SG's with set necks and humbvuckers, of which I have owned a few, that are great playing guitars and a lot of guitar for the money.

Edited by mihcmac

19 hours ago, mihcmac said:

One thing to take into account is that P90's are not any noisier that the single coils on a Strat or Tele at the the same DB.

I love them, the Billy Joe LP in the pack is a very simple basic guitar but there is an upgraded sig model with a set neck and solid mahogany body.

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIJJ7719/Classic-White

Also a less expensive LP pack with Humbuckers.

https://www.epiphone.com/en-US/Electric-Guitar/EPIJIZ896/Vintage-Sunburst

last thought is that there are quite a few used G400 SG's with set necks and humbvuckers, of which I have owned a few, that are great playing guitars and a lot of guitar for the money.

Yeah.

I think now what I am going to do is wait and see how she takes to guitar first.. 

If she does I think I will take her to the shop and let her pick what she likes... SGs are a bit love them or hate them.... For me, I like the look of them but find that the playing position is more left than on a LP which feels very in the middle to me.. 

• 1 month later...

It's been two months but if you haven't bought her a guitar yet I'd consider the size, weight and neck profile.

Everyone is hung up on the LP but for a youngster it is too heavy and too big.  Why not an SG, that is the one I bought first and it is light and comfortable and not thick with sharp corners like a LP.  The Epi SGs also have fairly thin necks, possibly easier for small hands.

That Mustang is actually a good choice too, 24" scale, light and comfortable to hold.  Lots of kids start with a Squier because they are good quality and they come in more colors than Epis do.  Some pinks that many girls like.  The Squier Affinity series has Teles and Strats that are lighter than the norm because the body is thinner.

The biggest thing is to take her to the shop to pick out her own.

Edited by Randy99CL

9 hours ago, Randy99CL said:

It's been two months but if you haven't bought her a guitar yet I'd consider the size, weight and neck profile.

Everyone is hung up on the LP but for a youngster it is too heavy and too big.  Why not an SG, that is the one I bought first and it is light and comfortable and not thick with sharp corners like a LP.  The Epi SGs also have fairly thin necks, possibly easier for small hands.

That Mustang is actually a good choice too, 24" scale, light and comfortable to hold.  Lots of kids start with a Squier because they are good quality and they come in more colors than Epis do.  Some pinks that many girls like.  The Squier Affinity series has Teles and Strats that are lighter than the norm because the body is thinner.

The biggest thing is to take her to the shop to pick out her own.

Thanks for the reply..  In the end this is exactly what I did and after speaking to my sister about it we decided to start her off on an acoustic...  Funnily enough the one she went for was kind of Mustang shaped  🙂 Its an Ibanez Talman and slimmer and smaller than most other acoustics.. A nice slim electric type neck on it too.. I said to her that if she enjoys playing and wants to keep going I will buy her an electric with pleasure,

6fnPgV0.jpg

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Thanks for the reply..  In the end this is exactly what I did and after speaking to my sister about it we decided to start her off on an acoustic...  Funnily enough the one she went for was kind of Mustang shaped  🙂 Its an Ibanez Talman and slimmer and smaller than most other acoustics.. A nice slim electric type neck on it too.. I said to her that if she enjoys playing and wants to keep going I will buy her an electric with pleasure,

6fnPgV0.jpg

Very nice acoustic electric, Ibanez builds some consistently good guitars and at their price point they are hard to beat. I think over the years Yamaha has been their only real competition. the Talman looks to be an excellent design

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Very nice acoustic electric, Ibanez builds some consistently good guitars and at their price point they are hard to beat. I think over the years Yamaha has been their only real competition. the Talman looks to be an excellent design

Yeah I did look at the Yamahas but they were just that much more expensive.. And as of yet we dont know how long she will keep the playing up for. I will do my best to help her of course. The guitar I got for her was about £180 and as you say, nice build quality. I did also try a few cheaper guitars out. I just said which ones do you like the look of then I tested them myself and looked over the guitars.. The Ibanez was clearly the best out of the ones we tried in terms of sound, playability and build quality.

4 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah I did look at the Yamahas but they were just that much more expensive.. And as of yet we dont know how long she will keep the playing up for. I will do my best to help her of course. The guitar I got for her was about £180 and as you say, nice build quality. I did also try a few cheaper guitars out. I just said which ones do you like the look of then I tested them myself and looked over the guitars.. The Ibanez was clearly the best out of the ones we tried in terms of sound, playability and build quality.

Back in the 80's and 90's Ibanez built some of the best shredder guitars, specially for the money with reliable hardware.

• 10 months later...

So we are a year later now..  She is still playing and today we went and got her an electric guitar..  And we ended up with

BxTDFaG.jpg

So we did get an Epiphone in the end  🙂 And  a nice Fender Champion 20...  [thumbup]

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

Just now, Ceptorman said:

Awesome Uncle Rabs. Glad to see she is still interested in guitars. Sweet combo she has there. How is she progressing?

Hmm, I dont know really..  My sister said she was probably a bit overwhelmed by it all..  And when I said to play the guitar she said her head went blank so I didnt push the issue..  I realised just now that I need to go and give it a set up and check and see if the neck or intonation needs a tweak... Maybe put some new strings on and go over what the amp does. 

On 4/14/2023 at 4:09 PM, Rabs said:

Hmm, I dont know really..  My sister said she was probably a bit overwhelmed by it all..  And when I said to play the guitar she said her head went blank so I didnt push the issue..  I realised just now that I need to go and give it a set up and check and see if the neck or intonation needs a tweak... Maybe put some new strings on and go over what the amp does. 

I think the best learning tool is having friends to jam with.

1 minute ago, mihcmac said:

I think the best learning tool is having friends to jam with.

Well thats coming...  One of the whole things that started her off is she wants to start a band with her friends which I asked her about when we were waiting for the sales guy.. She said she has a friend who plays drums and has a kit.. And another of her friends who is starting guitar this year.. So yeah. Hopefully by the time her friend gets the basics she will have a basic knowledge.

Im gonna go over next weekend maybe with my tools and do a setup and check the neck and go over the amp settings and stuff.. I have been trying to get her to understand power chords but she doesnt get it yet. I will keep trying  🙂

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Well thats coming...  One of the whole things that started her off is she wants to start a band with her friends which I asked her about when we were waiting for the sales guy.. She said she has a friend who plays drums and has a kit.. And another of her friends who is starting guitar this year.. So yeah. Hopefully by the time her friend gets the basics she will have a basic knowledge.

Im gonna go over next weekend maybe with my tools and do a setup and check the neck and go over the amp settings and stuff.. I have been trying to get her to understand power chords but she doesnt get it yet. I will keep trying  🙂

A simple minor scale pattern may be a good exercise just using the first 8 notes

2gCJJMz.jpg

Or a simple chord book with songs she knows.

Edited by mihcmac

10 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

A simple minor scale pattern may be a good exercise just using the first 8 notes

2gCJJMz.jpg

Or a simple chord book with songs she knows.

Lol..  We are old..  Kids dont do books..  Its all on her phone..  Actually when I got her the acoustic I asked if they had any chord books and they dont sell them any more cos its all online...

And scales..   No not yet.. She wouldnt understand how to use it yet..  As far as I am concerned she needs to learn her chords first. And now she has an electric, how to do a power chord and palm mute a bit...

7 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Lol..  We are old..  Kids dont do books..  Its all on her phone..  Actually when I got her the acoustic I asked if they had any chord books and they dont sell them any more cos its all online...

And scales..   No not yet.. She wouldnt understand how to use it yet..  As far as I am concerned she needs to learn her chords first. And now she has an electric, how to do a power chord and palm mute a bit...

Yep, thats very accurate.

My first learning experiences were just siting around with friends mimicking each other.

Edited by mihcmac