Gibson Brands Forums

"Pure Country" - George Strait

BluesKing777

Streaming movies to TV and often there seems to be a million choices but nothing we want to watch!

The Boss and I call one genre of movie 'Save the Pumpkin Farm movie' and all its klunky relatives..........so, watching a fairly recent 'acoustic guitarist gets the girl and saves the pumpkins', did a search of the links displayed underneath on some streaming channels.

And there it was from 1992 - George Strait in Pure Country.....and the movie wasn't a freebie - had to rent it! (I saw it on TV, maybe a midday movie years ago - sure didn't know who George Strait was then or what a Dove Cherry Burst was either!)

But how could I not rent a movie where the hero has a Dove Cherry Burst! Pretty schmaltzy, but you know.....

(My Dove Cherry Burst is going to get urgent new strings and some action, let me tell you!).

Movie Trailer from Youtube:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

I have tried to sit through that one maybe twice.  Never made it through the film so do not have a clue how it ended.  The music was great but I I guess I am not much for the rhinestone cowboy wanting to trade it all in for good old boy anonymity while his harpy leather miniskirt clad manager attempts to thwart his plans plot . 

Didn't make it to the end, ZW? You are sentenced to watch all episodes of Married At First Scream or whatever it is....

The movie is a year after EC went unplugged, so George did a little supposedly unplugged bit here and there and the big ending was ala Elvis sitting at the front of the stage crooning!

I googled his acoustics:

https://guitarplayerhq.com/what-guitar-does-george-strait-play/

And here is my 2005 Dove Cherry Burst:

Click here to see a large version

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

11 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Didn't make it to the end, ZW? You are sentenced to watch all episodes of Married At First Scream or whatever it is....

The movie is a year after EC went unplugged, so George did a little supposedly unplugged bit here and there and the big ending was ala Elvis sitting at the front of the stage crooning!

I googled his acoustics:

BluesKing777.

I do admit I have the attention span of a gnat when it comes to sitting through movies.  Generally, I prefer watching stuff with Cag, Bette or Bogey in it and am happiest when sitting watching something like "Night of the Hunter" with Bob Mitchum and Lilian Gish.

The other night though, I happened across a flick called "Buckshot." Never heard of it before and I only caught the second half.  One of those legendary honky tonk singer-songwriters headed off to do his farewell performance plots.  Not a bad movie but nothing original being a mix of films and characters we have seen many times before with the exception of one character who played a blind guitar whisperer.

Edited by zombywoof

11 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I googled his acoustics:

BluesKing777.

Mighty pretty ranch ....   errr, guitar! 

On Prime Amazon, they have the 'because you watched this' stuff lined up and having no life in lockdowns lately, yes, I have followed them down the trap!

So below George is Kris Kristofferson in 'Midnight Stallion' and what a crock that was!

But do we want the 'everyone saves the pumpkin patch' happy ending or the gritty fully depressing one about the Texan acoustic guitarist that was so broke and held on to get the recording contract - they were ringing him to tell him just as the big truck is heading straight for him! Boom....😐

But back to George Strait - here is the whole gang doing "All My Exes Live In Texas" (the witty name reminds me a bit of The Nighcats "My Next Ex Wife"):

P.S. Found a trailer for "The World Won't Break" - grim stuff....:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777