Gibson Brands Forums

Fox On The Run

DanvillRob

When I try to cover a song, I try to do a little research to find when it was written, when it was recorded, who wrote it, and the notable releases.

I always heard "Fox On The Run" by Tom T. Hall.... I liked it, but never seriously attempted to arrange it into a song...and I always assumed he wrote it.

I found it was written by the prolific songwriter, Tony Hazzard, and was first recorded by Manfred Mann.

The difficult part was the reprise "Like a Fox (like a fox) (like a fox) on the run".

I used two harmonizers....one set to a 4th above and the other set to a 6th above.  This requires a lot of 'footwork'!

This is why playing with others is beneficial!

Anyway, I used my old J-50 since it's my every-day player, and I can pipe it directly through the harmonizers so they know what key I'm trying to sing in.

So, here it is:

Sure sounds like two different songs to me.  I listened to the original by a Brit hair band named Sweet and it's hard to believe it's the song that evolved into the Tom T. or bluegrass song we're familiar with.  But to tell the truth, I couldn't listen to Sweet's version long enough to tell if it's the same or not.  Certainly on a comment on your version though!

Edited by PrairieSchooner

17 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

The footwork happens at a crucial point….and happens often!

I have a buddy back in Illinois who has one of those harmonizer gizmos and I got to mess around with it one day this spring. It really does take some coordination, so my hat is off to you for mastering it. I have enough trouble coordinating my hands, let alone throwing a big foot into the mix.

When we first started playing bluegrass with a locally performing band,  that song was already worn out -- so popular  bands were sick of it.  Like Rocky Top and Wagon Whee today.  We played it in secret and occasionally in jams and on street corners.  I have one existing practice recording. 

That is a 1943 RW batch 910 SJ.  Pretty disreputable for bluegrass.🙂

Best,

-Tom

• Like 2

On 4/23/2022 at 5:30 PM, PrairieSchooner said:

Sure sounds like two different songs to me.  I listened to the original by a Brit hair band named Sweet and it's hard to believe it's the song that evolved into the Tom T. or bluegrass song we're familiar with.  But to tell the truth, I couldn't listen to Sweet's version long enough to tell if it's the same or not.  Certainly on a comment on your version though!

As rct said, it's a totally different song.

A few years ago, I was driving and heard a song on the radio..... I vaguely recall hearing it before.....but didn't hear the name of the song.    I figured it was called "All I Want For Christmas Is You"... when you Google that name you only get Mariah Cary's version....I knew this wasn't the right song....and I wasn't SURE of the name of the song I wanted.   I actually went to the radio station web site...found the 'play list' for that day....I know approximately the time it was played....and found the song!    It was titled "All I Want For Christmas Is You"!   NOW what do I do?

I kept looking....for WEEKS.... I finally stumbled on in LONG after Christmas that year!   It is a 1989 song by Vince Vance & The Valiants!   (You'd recall Vince Valiant if you saw his photo).

DAMN those songs with the same titles!

On 4/24/2022 at 2:36 AM, dhanners623 said:

I have a buddy back in Illinois who has one of those harmonizer gizmos and I got to mess around with it one day this spring. It really does take some coordination, so my hat is off to you for mastering it. I have enough trouble coordinating my hands, let alone throwing a big foot into the mix.

They do take some getting used to.

I use them quite a lot.

I have two of them....my old one has a 'latching switch' to enable the harmonizing....trouble is is makes a 'click' that you can hear....but it stays on until you step on the switch again, then it's disengaged.   The new(er) on has a 'momentary switch' so the harmonizing is only enabled as long as I'm stepping on the switch.   And it's quiet.    So for "Fox On The Run" during the reprise, I sing the first "Like a fox" with no harmony..... then I enable the 4th over harmonizer...and it stays latched in, and I sing the second "Like a fox"....then I step on and hold the 6th over harmonizer while I sing the third "Like a fox"...then I have to QUICKLY disable the 4th over harmonizer to be able to sing the last line of the reprise "On the run" without harmony!

On 4/24/2022 at 3:31 AM, tpbiii said:

When we first started playing bluegrass with a locally performing band,  that song was already worn out -- so popular  bands were sick of it.  Like Rocky Top and Wagon Whee today.  We played it in secret and occasionally in jams and on street corners.  I have one existing practice recording. 

That is a 1943 RW batch 910 SJ.  Pretty disreputable for bluegrass.🙂

Best,

-Tom

I LOVE this, Tom!

Wish I played with others these days.

On 4/24/2022 at 3:05 AM, Salfromchatham said:

Swell job!  There is a version by The Wood Brothers on YouTube, in the Jammin in the Van series. Check that out, as I think you will love it.

again great  post…

Sal, I watched it.... GREAT harmony!    Love it....thanks for suggesting it for me!

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

As rct said, it's a totally different song.

A few years ago, I was driving and heard a song on the radio..... I vaguely recall hearing it before.....but didn't hear the name of the song.    I figured it was called "All I Want For Christmas Is You"... when you Google that name you only get Mariah Cary's version....I knew this wasn't the right song....and I wasn't SURE of the name of the song I wanted.   I actually went to the radio station web site...found the 'play list' for that day....I know approximately the time it was played....and found the song!    It was titled "All I Want For Christmas Is You"!   NOW what do I do?

I kept looking....for WEEKS.... I finally stumbled on in LONG after Christmas that year!   It is a 1989 song by Vince Vance & The Valiants!   (You'd recall Vince Valiant if you saw his photo).

DAMN those songs with the same titles!

Yeah; it was my error, not Google's.  I misread the info.  Thanks to all who set me straight.  The Sweet song was so bad I'm glad it didn't turn out to be the same song 😀!

Edited by PrairieSchooner