Gibson Brands Forums

Proof Tremolos are bad for you

Rabs

4 minutes ago, jdgm said:

It does look nice.   [thumbup]

How about that action?

Yeah its not great...  A bit high and looking at the saddles theres not really much room to go down...  The nut looks ok too..  I have a feeling the neck is set in a bit too high (like a mm or two).

But it is what it is.. I may look into seeing if I can do something about it..  Or just leave it

SI7srjp.jpg

R5hray5.jpg

Hard to get a good picture of the action

6VBOPnT.jpg

uXHBar5.jpg

3 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Yow that's high!

Have you er....had a fiddle with the rod?

[wink]

Not yet... But I will soon. I have heard very good things about the Ibanez trem system.. They say its quite stable.

It doesnt feel terrible to play. But I can probably get it a bit lower at least. May have to cut the nut slots a  bit and lower the saddles as far as they will go. 

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Yow that's high!

Have you er....had a fiddle with the rod?

[wink]

Ok.. I have fixed it..  I was being silly..  Floating bridge duhhhhh... I lowered the bridge a bit.. All sorted   😄 It didnt even go out of tune...  Then I saw it was leaning forward a bit so I tightened the spring screws a tiny bit and its all good..

lPamwEY.jpg

5i4u4t1.jpg

KqNwSuS.jpg

• Like 1

When I sold my Jackson Soloist (which was my sole gigging guitar for 16 years), I had to reset the floating FR bridge for the 1st time in 20 years (I had decked it a long time back). It worked fine, but it is a faff. 

Before the Soloist, I used a Strat (again decked). That was the sole electric guitar for nearly 25 years. So for 40 years I only used guitars with trems that I hated. That's why I really don't want any more.

The only system that ever worked perfectly with zero issues was the PRS CE24 semi hollow (now also sold).

On 5/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, Rabs said:

Ok.. I have fixed it..  I was being silly..  Floating bridge duhhhhh... I lowered the bridge a bit.. All sorted   😄 It didnt even go out of tune...  Then I saw it was leaning forward a bit so I tightened the spring screws a tiny bit and its all good..

lPamwEY.jpg

5i4u4t1.jpg

KqNwSuS.jpg

You might also try a little  more trussrod adjustment, Ibanez can usually handle really flat necks, even to the point of a little back bow on the higher frets.

4 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

You might also try a little  more trussrod adjustment, Ibanez can usually handle really flat necks, even to the point of a little back bow on the higher frets.

Its a 5 piece maple neck and already pretty flat  🙂  One of the first things I checked [thumbup]