Gibson Brands Forums

Hello Everyone/Feeling the itch, pretty sure it isn't crabs this time.

TinFish

Hello everyone! I thought since I was new to the forum I would make a single thread (apart from the thread introducing myself) covering all the topics on my mind.

So as you can see I am thinking about getting a new guitar. I would like to sell my SG Special and purchase one of the above guitars, though I may hang onto it since it's been such a trooper for me and wouldn't fetch a ton of money.

I have been playing SG's for about 10 years and I just feel like they fit like a glove. I really like everything about them, in terms of aesthetics and utility. I really like where the controls are located (not a big fan of the toggle switch location on Les Pauls) and I really like a comfortable guitar. The only thing I could possibly complain about is their tendency to take a neck dive when you let go of them when playing with a strap.

On the other hand I have been looking at the Las Paul Traditional Gold Top just about everyday online, I just think it looks beautiful and I wouldn't mind adding a different guitar to my collection. I just find them so beefy I don't know if I could ever get used to it. I am planning on renting one for a month or so to see if I can make the adjustment. As with a lot of other poster's I think I would prefer the swiss cheese body to a chambered one.

I also like Strats, again I just find them really comfortable to play I enjoy the contoured body on SG's and Strats otherwise I have ended up with a mean friction burn on my forearm when playing other peoples Teles and Les Pauls. But I think that can be corrected just by adjusting your style of play. I kind of just threw the 52 Tele in the poll because it is beautiful and I wouldn't mind having a Fender tone for recording purposes, though I don't think I would play it live a lot (I play a lot of punk and metal), but I do enjoy some of the sounds you can make with a Fender (especially on Modest Mouse albums)

So now I have a few peeves with Gibson I would like to get off my chest:

1. I wish they would make the SG 61 RI in Black again. I would buy it in a heart beat. It angers me whenever I see Angus rocking one that I can't own one myself.

2. The SG Special should come in a Hard shell Case, it is ridiculous to me that a guitar that costs over $1000 (Can) comes with a crappy little gig bag. I think they should supply you with a real case when buying any American made Gibson.

3. Tribal guitars? REALLY? Man... Tribal stuff hasn't been cool for about 10 years, I think you missed the boat on this one Gibson, let B C Rich and ESP make the Guitars with Tribal/Flame/Skull graphics. Stick to more traditional finishes (just my opinion).

4. Holy Explorers & Holy Flying V's, more like Holy ****! There is absolutely no way these guitars could sound good, at least not that I can imagine.

Anyway, I think that pretty much covers it. I am looking forward to meeting some fellow Gibson lovers and making some friends on here. Cheers Everyone. -Jeff

I have no idea which one you should get but I voted for the tele cuz I like those.

I was in Edmonton last summer visiting my wife's family. Always a good time. Her brother owns a DQ, but I can't tell you where it is anymore, by a Wendy's is all I remember. Her other brother is a supervisor at the dump ... I'm pretty sure there's only 1 dump right?

We've been to Jasper and Banff and Calgery during various previous vists. Nice place when it's warm but I'v been unfortunate enough to be there in the winter - woof!

I have no idea which one you should get but I voted for the tele cuz I like those.

I was in Edmonton last summer visiting my wife's family. Always a good time. Her brother owns a DQ' date=' but I can't tell you where it is anymore, by a Wendy's is all I remember. Her other brother is a supervisor at the dump ... I'm pretty sure there's only 1 dump right?

We've been to Jasper and Banff and Calgery during various previous vists. Nice place when it's warm but I'v been unfortunate enough to be there in the winter - woof!

[/quote']

Hah, there are a lot of DQ's and a lot of Wendy's, so I am not sure I could tell you where that specific DQ is. I believe there is just one main Dump/Recycling Plant, apparently it is really efficient and some kind of engineering marvel, I always here about people in the industry coming to Edmonton to marvel at our Dump...?

Jasper and Banff are both beautiful places, great for skiing in the winters and for mountain biking in the summers.

Calgary is our nemesis, there is a long and bitter rivalry between the Oilers and Flames for those of you who fallow hockey. Unfortunately The Edmonton Oilers have really sucked this year and The Calgary Flames have been pretty impressive. I've been to Calgary quite a few times, it's a nice city.

The winters here can be pretty rough but it adds character. I'd be willing to wager a Canadian Prairie Boy is as tough as they come!

I voted SG.

Everybody and their brother, (and Uncle who runs the dump) plays a Tele, Strat or a Les Paul.

I like a double cut and play an SG and ES-339. My Tele is a loaner now pretty much.

If the neck dive is an issue, just follow Gibsons lead and drill some Swiss cheese holes in the headstock.

Murph.

Okay, so I thought of a few more bones to pick with Gibson:

5. They should also carry the SG 61 RI in white.

http://www.gibson.com/press/usa/product/2007_GotW/Q3%202007%20Guitars/SG61CWNH1_.JPG =D>=P~ =P~

What I would have done to grab one of those when it was the guitar of the week, 400 of them is simply not enough. If any one runs across one for sale and doesn't plan to buy it themselves PLEASE PM me!

6. Bring back the RD! One of Gibsons best looking abstract designs and they simply don't make them anymore. I know they also had a brief moment of glory in the GOTW club but I want to see this one back:

http://www.vintage-guitars.se/1977_Gibson_RD_Custom_72457025.jpg

Also thanks to everyone for their input, it is greatly appreciated. Looks like the Les Paul fans are coming out in big numbers(no surprise there). Pleasantly surprised to see all the Tele love on the Gibson forum and saddened to see the lack of love for the Strat.

I voted for the 3 color sunburst Strat, mostly because I've been playing one every time I go up to the local M&P store. Gorgeous guitar, plays like a dream, and you already have a guitar with humbuckers, so I'd suggest adding some single coil twang into your lineup. Also, the one I've been playing was priced at 1400 dollars (American Made Strat Standard), which is quite a bit cheaper than any Les Paul on your lineup.

Archived