Gibson Brands Forums

Value of 1978 350t if a Second.

chas2

Slight cosmetic flaw around an f hole, that's the reason for it being a Second.  Stamped Second on the back of the head stock.  So...  If a 1978 350t normally sells for $4,000, what might this Second be worth?

3 hours ago, chas2 said:

Slight cosmetic flaw around an f hole, that's the reason for it being a Second.  Stamped Second on the back of the head stock.  So...  If a 1978 350t normally sells for $4,000, what might this Second be worth?

So right now 4k is what a 1978 Gibson 350T is going for on the used market and its not a factory second?

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So right now 4k is what a 1978 Gibson 350T is going for on the used market and its not a factory second?

I just pulled that figure out of the air for discussion sake.  I see prices from 4k to 7.  

On a unique model as yours I wouldn't think it will make much of a difference. after all it is a used guitar.  I have a 59 ES-225 that is marked as a second because of some cracks in the top ply of the laminate and is not structural.  It didn't make any difference to me. We would like to see photos of your guitar.

Thanks John

24 minutes ago, powerwagonjohn said:

On a unique model as yours I wouldn't think it will make much of a difference. after all it is a used guitar.  I have a 59 ES-225 that is marked as a second because of some cracks in the top ply of the laminate and is not structural.  It didn't make any difference to me. We would like to see photos of your guitar.

Thanks John

I had a '57 ES-225TD. I hated that thing. Squealed like a banshee, and it would not stay in tune. It was light as a feather. 

Being a second and used and a model you don't see every day, it might be worth some cash to someone interested in it.  

My ES-225 T is not for sale so your point is moot. I never had any feedback problems but I don't use it for anything high gain, after all it is a hollow body guitar not another Les Paul. I am actually installing a staple pick in the guitar, no modifications needed.

My point was to the OP question that at this point his guitar is a used guitar and probably as unique as my ES-225, so I don't think a small defect that was original to the guitar will affect it's value much. We still want photos.

Thanks John

2 hours ago, powerwagonjohn said:

My ES-225 T is not for sale so your point is moot. I never had any feedback problems but I don't use it for anything high gain, after all it is a hollow body guitar not another Les Paul. I am actually installing a staple pick in the guitar, no modifications needed.

My point was to the OP question that at this point his guitar is a used guitar and probably as unique as my ES-225, so I don't think a small defect that was original to the guitar will affect it's value much. We still want photos.

Thanks John

I was not asking to buy your guitar, and I can read, and did not read anything in your post that indicated you wanting to sell it. But Factory Seconds were not intended for public sale, and the employees were usually allowed to buy them. Yours and his are not unique, they just didn't cut the mustard to go out to the public for sale and were deemed 2nds. 

13 hours ago, powerwagonjohn said:

Thanks John

I'll get some pics for you.  Thank you for your candor and knowledge.  I bought my guitar from a dealer.  A friend of mine bought a second 335 from another dealer, dealers do indeed have them to offer, though I suppose pre-owned.

• 8 months later...
On 7/3/2022 at 9:50 PM, chas2 said:

I'll get some pics for you.  Thank you for your candor and knowledge.  I bought my guitar from a dealer.  A friend of mine bought a second 335 from another dealer, dealers do indeed have them to offer, though I suppose pre-owned.

350t.mine.one.jpg

350t.mine.two.jpg

• Like 1