Gibson Brands Forums

Which Les Paul do I want?

lespaulsrule31194

Gibson Les Paul Traditional or a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

The Gibson Les Paul Traditional is made how Les Paul Standards were made before 2006 and plus they are 200 hundred dollars cheaper.

Gibson Les Paul Standard has the same specs as the Traditional except they are chambered which i do not like and you are paying 200 extra for a locking jack, locking tunera and strap locks.

I prefer the Les Paul traditional over the Standard.

well start here...

1. what is your price range

2. what kind of neck shape do you like; slim or fat?

3. what kind of top do you like; flamed or plain maple?

that will get you closer to what you want. there is no "best". that's subjective. you gotta narrow it down and play a bunch and see which one speaks to you.

i was in you shoes 2 months ago... now i'm the happy owner of a Traditional GoldTop... to me it was the best. neck, pick ups, finish, cost... and mostly... tone!

A quick scroll through the product pages will give you an idea of what is available through the range. After this you can decide what features you want and that will allow you to exclude some models. I suggest reading 'Maple's' post and not 'Jesus's'

No disrespect 'Jesus' but you kinda just pigeon holed the whole model line into two guitars.

A quick scroll through the product pages will give you an idea of what is available through the range. After this you can decide what features you want and that will allow you to exclude some models. I suggest reading 'Maple's' post and not 'Jesus's'

No disrespect 'Jesus' but you kinda just pigeon holed the whole model line into two guitars.

I know, I know but the Standard and Traditional are two good starting points on choosing your Les Paul.

I know' date=' I know but the Standard and Traditional are two good starting points on choosing your Les Paul.[/quote']

Of course and even with my limited knowledge I agree. I was merely pointing out there are others and your post kinda read as if these were the best and only guitars.

Any anyway everyone knows that unless you buy an original '59 you are buying rubbish. Well an original '59 or one of those 'cheap' ones on ebay...... ;)

You know, reading that out of context would make anyone go WTF on this forum...

I did...

Anyway... Jesus should be able to "pigeon hole" the whole fender, gibson, ford and pepsi lines into 2 bicycle models:-"

You know' date=' reading that out of context would make anyone go WTF on this forum...

I did...

Anyway... Jesus should be able to "pigeon hole" the whole fender, gibson, ford and pepsi lines into 2 bicycle models:-" [/quote']

What do you mean by that? ? ?

I like a slim neck shape. The top doesn't matter much to me, as long as it's carved.

i dont know how much help i can be, but i just bought my husband a guitar & knew nothing about them except for he wanted a Gibson Les Paul.

i started by reading as much as i could about them on sites like musiciansfriend.com & then searching within my budget. i also asked friends who knew guitars for help. (i quickly learned that my budget needed to be increased... lol)

i found out that i needed to start at a standard because of the carved top (please someone correct me if im wrong) & to look for something with a 60's taper neck which is slimmer than a 50's. i decided on this because my husband has smallish hands & i felt a 60's neck would fit him better.

anyway... thats my 2 cents. hope it helps some.

i was thinking either the Gary Moore BFG or a Les Paul Supreme. What do you think?

Looks like you like extremes... Very different guitars: One has less aesthetic stuff than it should... and the other has way too much.

Soundwise I would go with the Gary Moore signature BFG because of that p90 in the neck.

If I was going for the first gibson les paul I would follow Jesus' advice... #-o Really: a standard or a traditional

My price range doesn't matter' date=' as long as it's within reason. I like a slim neck shape. The top doesn't matter much to me, as long as it's carved. With that in mind, what do you recommend?[/quote']

ok, so you're leaning towards a 60's style slim neck and a plain top. not sure what's reasonable (cost) to you? If i had the coin to blow.. i'd go for a '59 ri plain top.. of course that has a fat neck. some good advice here, check out gibson.com look for plain tops and slim necks, select a few you think you may like, then go to musiciansfriend.com and see what they cost. there you can also see reviews... but take them with a grain of salt as many are just people reassuring themselves of the guitar they just bought or complaining about a specific QA issue with the one they got. truth is no 2 are exactly the same.. feel and tone. don't rush.. make your ears happy. play as many as you can!

Archived