Gibson Brands Forums

Pink Floyd - Animals (Remix)

Sgt. Pepper

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I can go along with the "good music better" thing, but you need to recall the old story about Charlie Parker (as told by Dizzy Gillespie)

Bird was shooting a lot of scag by the later '40's and it had a noticeable  detrimental effect on his music that was clearly  aware to everyone.  Except him.  He thought he never played and sounded better.  This went on for a few years until bassist Charles Mingus, an early user of a portable magnetic tape recorder sneaked one into a session to record Bird's dope driven mish-mash.  Next day Mingus invited Bird to his place to hear a recording by, "some new kid on the scene.  You GOTTA hear this kid blow!  He's fantastic!"  When Parker arrived anxious to hear this new phenom, Mingus turned on the tape and Bird quickly put on a sour expression.  "You called me up here to listen to THIS sh!t?"  Going on, he said, "I can make better sounds come outa my A$$!  Who the f**k is this fool?"   And in unison Mingus, Diz and another guy(Might have been Max Roach) shouted, "It's YOU motherf**ker! "  Then Mingus let him in...

"I recorded you last night blowing while you were riding the horse.  THIS is how you REALLY sound when you high!"   And the point was taken.

Parker never did a recording session or other gig while high.  But sadly made up for lost time between gigs.  Sadly, he died in 1955 at the age of 34.  So ravaged by drug abuse the coroner  at first thought he was examining the remains of a 65 year old man.

Plus, I never said it was "everyone".  But probably more people than not.  Else, how DO you explain the success of bands like Heep or Slade?  [wink]

Whitefang

Horn players loved their Horse. 

I did take a few bong hits the other night and listen to Animal. It was as great as always.

I rarely listen to the original White Album now that the remixed one is out. It's hard to think you can improve on something like that but you can. Taking off Revolution 9 would help too. 8 mins of acid fueled tape loops and nonsense, and Ringo wrote a song and its got a violin on it.

I can hear a difference.. Its hard to explain though..  I can hear more keyboard at some points.. The guitar solos sounded a bit dryer..   And I could hear some extra harmonics in several of the background noises. Also the vocals seem to be mixed a bit differently. There seems some extra reverb/delay on some of them.. Its kind of expanded on in terms of depth.... 

Seeing that giant pig fly down Madison Square Garden was fun, that whole album is good.

Thanks for the heads up on that new single, I pre-ordered it.  All proceeds go to Ukrainian humanitarian aid so get a new tune and it's for a good cause.