Gibson Brands Forums

Pink Floyd - Animals (Remix)

Sgt. Pepper

Well Rog and Dave finally got around to agreeing on a package of Animals that was remixed back in 2018, of their 1977 album. Its my favorite PF album. It will be released in a mega set of LP, CD, DVD and Blue Ray all in one package. You can also get each format as an individual item. I think it is coming out on SACD too. It has the same huge powerplant on the cover with a train station also there now. Can any of the guys in England tell us if that is what it really looks like, or is it just art work. It won't be out till September. Roger posted the liner notes on his site, as Dave wanted it to be sparse, and he wants to keep the Floyds legacy as much of a mystery as it can be. That was the main stalling point, the liner notes. And the fact is that Dave and Roger are two kids in the play ground, both trying to get on the only swing that has no one on it.

https://store.pinkfloyd.com/animals-remix

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, brad1 said:

Let us know how it sounds. I really like that album. And have never had a problem with the way it was mixed.

But if you think there is a significant improvement, I may have to have a listen.

I'll find out in September. Giles Martin did a fantastic job remixing The Beatles, and he is not doing these, but hopefully it will sound fantastic. 

I never had an issue with the original White Album, but the remixed one IMHO is much better.

Battersea power station - has undergone an incredible transformation.

"Battersea A" was decommissioned in 1975. In 1980 the whole structure was given Grade II listed status; "Battersea B" shut three years later. In 2007 its listed status was upgraded to Grade II*. The building remained empty until 2014, during which time it fell into near ruin. Various plans were made to make use of the building, but none were successful. In 2012, administrators Ernst & Young entered into an exclusivity agreement with Malaysia's S P Setia and Sime Darby to develop the site to include 253 residential units, bars, restaurants, office space (occupied by Apple and No. 18 business members club), shops and entertainment spaces. The plans were approved and redevelopment commenced a few years later. As of 2021, the building and the overall 42 acres (17 ha) site development is owned by a consortium of Malaysian investors.

I found this. Supposedly original 1977 artwork.

th?id=OIP.fCi2-lGh4wyh0cSwpFLwbwHaEs%26p

I have seen Battersea Power Station a few times but the only ever other claim to art I came across was at a photography club competition. This fellow managed to picture BPS and the Houses of Parliament in the same shot and called it 'Centers of Power'.

This is how it looked in the 30's with the original 2 towers

battersea_main.jpg

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I am listening to the album now. Its the 1st time I've ever heard it. 

Really. Wow. I like it better than The Wall, Wish, Meddle, Dark Side ect. I first heard it maybe a few years or so after it came out.

Bus Stop Rat Bag Ha Ha Charade You Are.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Personally, I thought it was pretty meh.  🥱  The Wall too, didn't seem to live up to all the hype  IMHO.  And BTW....

Waters is bringing his "This Is Not A Drill" act to Detroit's  Little Caesar's Arena  this 23rd.    And now, I'll put on my flame suit......

I've never been as big a fan of Floyd as most stoners I know are.  They play some pretty pensive music, and some of it is quite good.  But for me it takes a particular mood for me to bother listening.  Never really cheers me up.  Nor excites me.  Like I said, takes a certain mood.

And over the years I learned the best way to break up a lively party and get folks to head for home is to put Pink Floyd on the box.  And something else that'll make me a pariah 'round here I'm guessing...

I never considered Dave Gilmour to be the guitar "God" a lot of guitar forum wags think he is.  He does do a good job.  Giving each song just what it needs.  But for Floyd music it really doesn't require much of a virtuoso to accomplish that.   And I'm sure there are some out there frothing at the mouth, and shouting at whatever device they use to be on these boards saying, "Oh YEAH?  Well he can probably play CIRCLES around your hack a$$ AZZWIPE!"  [cursing]

And to that I reply....

"Well, who couldn't?"  [cool]

Whitefang

6 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

He does do a good job.  Giving each song just what it needs. 

That's all anyone could wish for.

But for Floyd music it really doesn't require much of a virtuoso to accomplish that.   

I cant think of many bands that do. Even those that have (debatably) virtuosos in them. 

Most guitar players play to impress rather than trying to make the music better. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I wish I could listen to it for the first time again. 

Listen for some hidden lyrics in the middle of "Sheep" - a re-write of Psalm 23:

"The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want
He makes me down to lie
Through pastures green He leadeth me the silent waters by.
With bright knives He releaseth my soul.
He maketh me to hang on hooks in high places.
He converteth me to lamb cutlets,
For lo, He hath great power, and great hunger.
When cometh the day we lowly ones,
Through quiet reflection, and great dedication

Master the art of karate,
Lo, we shall rise up,
And then we'll make the bugger's eyes water."

It's hard hear that, due to it being way down in the mix, but aren't those lyrics printed on the dust sleeve?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.covercentury.com%2Fcovers%2Faudio%2Fp%2FPink%20Floyd%20-%20Animals%20[lp%20sleeve02%20-%20aus].jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.covercentury.com%2Findex.php%3Fp%3Daudio%26l%3Dp%26f%3DPink%20Floyd%20-%20Animals%20[lp%20sleeve02%20-%20aus].jpg&tbnid=zSYihuvmyaTM4M&vet=12ahUKEwibgLjq1Pv4AhX-FVkFHcLRA1YQMygRegUIARDWAQ..i&docid=TUFDchowaOt96M&w=3583&h=3437&q=pink floyd animals dust sleeve&ved=2ahUKEwibgLjq1Pv4AhX-FVkFHcLRA1YQMygRegUIARDWAQ

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So what did you think of Animals your first time around. It was probably the second PF album I ever heard behind Dark Side.

For me, Animals was the very first time I heard an entire Pink Floyd album.

I was 16. I was with a friend and we were visiting a friend of his. My friend's friend was about 30 years old, and had just bought the album. He had some really good weed. And while we were smoking it, he puts on the album. He had a killer sound system.  I could not believe what I was hearing.  It was an experience I will always remember.  It was great!!!!

I rushed out and bought the album as soon as I could. And now whenever I listen, I  am magically transported to that time and experience, to experience again! And I still like it very much.

And David G. just plays some great guitar on that album in my opinion. 

53 minutes ago, brad1 said:

For me, Animals was the very first time I heard an entire Pink Floyd album.

I was 16. I was with a friend and we were visiting a friend of his. My friend's friend was about 30 years old, and had just bought the album. He had some really good weed. And while we were smoking it, he puts on the album. He had a killer sound system.  I could not believe what I was hearing.  It was an experience I will always remember.  It was great!!!!

I rushed out and bought the album as soon as I could. And now whenever I listen, I  am magically transported to that time and experience, to experience again! And I still like it very much.

And David G. just plays some great guitar on that album in my opinion. 

Last time I listened to it on vinyl I was high. I might do that tonight. Wish, Dark Side, and The Wall are all great, but this album is just something special. Not one bad note or chord on it.

And after a while you can work on points for style

Like the club tie and firm hand shake

My intro to PF goes back to Meddle - then Dark Side got played to death and I didn't care if I never heard it again - Wish You Were Here was a refreshing change and possibly my favorite PF album - The Wall has moments of brilliance and blocks of crap, it's a mixed bag - after that PF briefly became the Roger Waters Project then the Not Roger Waters project - Dave had a couple of really good solo albums.

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So what did you think of Animals your first time around. It was probably the second PF album I ever heard behind Dark Side.

I only listened a 1/3 in. Not because I had enough. I had to get on with some work.

I am going to return to it anon. I will report back then.

So far? Like it but not compelling. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

My intro to PF goes back to Meddle - then Dark Side got played to death and I didn't care if I never heard it again - Wish You Were Here was a refreshing change and possibly my favorite PF album - The Wall has moments of brilliance and blocks of crap, it's a mixed bag - after that PF briefly became the Roger Waters Project then the Not Roger Waters project - Dave had a couple of really good solo albums.

I felt that way about THE WALL.  It came out 'round the time I was audio shopping.  Looking for a top notch sound system.  And it seemed EVERY audio shop insisted on showing me how good any system they were pushing sounded by slapping "The Wall" on the turntable.  At first I liked what I heard of the LP, but after daily assaults of it from audio dealers it was a little more than a YEAR after I got my new system until I could feel OK with buying a copy of it.  

And BRAD1 hit on something that should serve as a warning...

At my ex brother in law's house warming party in  early '74, someone put on an LP that at the time just BLEW ME AWAY!  Of course, this was after smoking some of the most killer "two-toke" weed I ever bought!  [wink]   I just HAD to know what band and album that was.  Well, turned out it was URIAH HEEP and the LP was SWEET FREEDOM.  😜  Next day I ran out to Harmony House(remember record stores? [wink]) and bought a copy.  Once home, I hurried to put it on the box.  Only now, I was stone cold sober, and the LP didn't blow me away, it just blew chunks!  🤢

Taught me to NEVER buy ANY album until you hear it with a clear mind and not drug addled. 

First(and only) LP I ever used as a trivet.  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I

And BRAD1 hit on something that should serve as a warning...

At my ex brother in law's house warming party in  early '74, someone put on an LP that at the time just BLEW ME AWAY!  Of course, this was after smoking some of the most killer "two-toke" weed I ever bought!  [wink]   I just HAD to know what band and album that was.  Well, turned out it was URIAH HEEP and the LP was SWEET FREEDOM.  😜  Next day I ran out to Harmony House(remember record stores? [wink]) and bought a copy.  Once home, I hurried to put it on the box.  Only now, I was stone cold sober, and the LP didn't blow me away, it just blew chunks!  🤢

Taught me to NEVER buy ANY album until you hear it with a clear mind and not drug addled. 

First(and only) LP I ever used as a trivet.  [wink]

Whitefang

Every person reacts differently when smoking weed. 

Being under the influence of THC has never made any bad music sound good to me. Ever.

So.....I don't agree with your findings at all. 

For me, it simply makes bad music worse, and good music better.

When I went out and bought the Animals LP I thought it sounded just as good, or better, than it did when high.

So...that's you.....not everyone.🙂

• Like 1

On 7/16/2022 at 1:29 PM, merciful-evans said:

I only listened a 1/3 in. Not because I had enough. I had to get on with some work.

I am going to return to it anon. I will report back then.

So far? Like it but not compelling. 

Ok. Heard it all now. And the more I heard, the better I liked it. I will listen again too.

I've already said that for me Floyd (and King Crimson) were my 'awakening' bands at adolescence. So I liked best Ummagumma & Saucerful of Secrets. Most regard these as the fiddling around years before they 'got going'. But I became less interested with every subsequent album. I stopped buying & listening to Floyd albums after Meddle, though I did get Dark Side of the Moon rather later. I had already heard some of DSOTM before its release because the band were playing those songs in their live sets then.

At home would listen to the studio version of Saucerful of Secrets in the dark. No drugs or booze then either. 

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

Official Floyd site has news about this reissue and (sharp intake of breath) the new single.......

https://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/

Please Dave, just no. We need no more Floyd or Dave solo stuff.

Then there is this guy:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/roger-waters-more-important-the-weeknd-drake-1384262/amp/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, brad1 said:

Every person reacts differently when smoking weed. 

Being under the influence of THC has never made any bad music sound good to me. Ever.

So.....I don't agree with your findings at all. 

For me, it simply makes bad music worse, and good music better.

When I went out and bought the Animals LP I thought it sounded just as good, or better, than it did when high.

So...that's you.....not everyone.🙂

I can go along with the "good music better" thing, but you need to recall the old story about Charlie Parker (as told by Dizzy Gillespie)

Bird was shooting a lot of scag by the later '40's and it had a noticeable  detrimental effect on his music that was clearly  aware to everyone.  Except him.  He thought he never played and sounded better.  This went on for a few years until bassist Charles Mingus, an early user of a portable magnetic tape recorder sneaked one into a session to record Bird's dope driven mish-mash.  Next day Mingus invited Bird to his place to hear a recording by, "some new kid on the scene.  You GOTTA hear this kid blow!  He's fantastic!"  When Parker arrived anxious to hear this new phenom, Mingus turned on the tape and Bird quickly put on a sour expression.  "You called me up here to listen to THIS sh!t?"  Going on, he said, "I can make better sounds come outa my A$$!  Who the f**k is this fool?"   And in unison Mingus, Diz and another guy(Might have been Max Roach) shouted, "It's YOU motherf**ker! "  Then Mingus let him in...

"I recorded you last night blowing while you were riding the horse.  THIS is how you REALLY sound when you high!"   And the point was taken.

Parker never did a recording session or other gig while high.  But sadly made up for lost time between gigs.  Sadly, he died in 1955 at the age of 34.  So ravaged by drug abuse the coroner  at first thought he was examining the remains of a 65 year old man.

Plus, I never said it was "everyone".  But probably more people than not.  Else, how DO you explain the success of bands like Heep or Slade?  [wink]

Whitefang