Gibson Brands Forums

Need a new nut for flying V

LastKnownUser

Hi all! I need a new nut for my Flying V. I got it replaced recently but they put different size than it was before, they had only one size in shop (E to E 36mm), it is bigger than it was beofre so it just feels weird playing...
I am from Europe soI'd like to order from here to avoid high shipping. Anybody have any good recommendations?
Also if someone could write me specs of needed nut, if I searched correctly it should be  35mm E to E? I couldn't measure my old one becuase it was damaged.
Thanks for any help!

Unless you have a zero fret I would suggest that no replacement nut can be considered a drop in replacement. 

If you have the tools to set up the nut then there’s nothing stopping you. If not I would recommend having a luthier install and set up the nut. They can provide the proper sized nut of your choice without you worrying about measuring or shipping

• Thanks 2

No zero fret. But the problem is size, its obviously too big and it feels different. And also first string has a tendency to drop from the neck when pulled down a little bit, its really annoying.
I don't have the tools, don't know any luthier. I just want to find out what is the dimension of original nut on Gibson guitars, in my case flying V. I'll order that one online and have it replaced. I have found one 43mm wide, 35mm E to E, I think that one should be like the original but wanted to check here first, hope someone could still help me.

Go to the biggest physical store in your area and tell them to recommend you a luthier. Then just go there with your guitar.

Guitar stores also usually have them listed on their websites, under "servicing for guitars" or similar moniker. ("Luthier" is just an ancient form of the word for "guitar servicing shop", which is used nowadays, when there is very little artisanship left in the economic landscape.) 

On 7/26/2022 at 1:39 PM, LastKnownUser said:

Hi all! I need a new nut for my Flying V. I got it replaced recently but they put different size than it was before, they had only one size in shop (E to E 36mm), it is bigger than it was beofre so it just feels weird playing...
I am from Europe soI'd like to order from here to avoid high shipping. Anybody have any good recommendations?
Also if someone could write me specs of needed nut, if I searched correctly it should be  35mm E to E? I couldn't measure my old one becuase it was damaged.
Thanks for any help!

Welcome!   Lots of folks here from Europe - I'm sure they have no trouble finding nuts, saddles, pins and other 'animal parts' !   As OrdNimda suggested - a tricky business - you should get someone who knows what they're doing, based on a solid rep and recommendation. G'Luck ! 

Even with the Tusq nuts, they aren’t plug-n-play really… you’re doing some filing down and such to make them fit. That’s been my experience with every single one of them I’ve tried out. This is why I just go to someone who can cut a nut from a bone blank. Bone is a great material. The Tusq nuts are really good too, but again, better not sand too much material off of it… I recommend getting a couple Tusqs if you’re going this route