Gibson Brands Forums

1951 Gibson LG1 at Retrofret....

BluesKing777

46 minutes ago, jedzep said:

No idea what you would get for the J50 but depending on condition and if you sell it at Retrofret, you will easily get......😐😐🙄

Is that the 12 fretter you want in the link? Do you still have the 15 series 12 fretter, gave you a taste, did it?

Probably fine, but 2017 could be prime ‘binding falling off’ territory.....maybe look for a 12 fret before say...2005? (slightly bitter and twisted, just got the loose binding repaired on my 2016 CEO7, no warranty outside US...$280! Grumble, grumble...have 2 others loose as well!)

BluesKing777.

24 minutes ago, slimt said:

Who in there right mined would pay 5 k for any LG1.?   

They were  okay guitars . And sound great. But? 

Like I said earlier somewhere, my LG1 cost me $800 by the time it arrived (almost 10 years ago!) and some said I was out of my mind then! And until I played slide on it a few weeks later, I thought they were right...done....my....dough! 😶

BluesKing777.

15 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

Like I said earlier somewhere, my LG1 cost me $800 by the time it arrived (almost 10 years ago!) and some said I was out of my mind then! And until I played slide on it a few weeks later, I thought they were right...done....my....dough! 😶

BluesKing777.

Ya. Lg1  Gibsons do have there place in Gibsons history.   Ive owned a few over the years.   And payed way less and like them alot more for that reason.   I ended up bundling them up for a  something else though.    

The guy that sold me the 52 LG1 all those years ago saw my photos in the post above, contacted me and said he wanted back and to name a price......I said I am thinking $5K....(not true, I made it up!).

The guitar sounds great, ladder bracing being a fave of mine, and slide is nice in Open G

So curious, I put it into standard tuning for the first time in 10 years and played it......horrible! Absolutely awful! Sharp frets, dud frets, low frets, buzzing notes, wolf notes, dud notes. Phew. So refret, neck set, repairs.....unlikely! Good news - the tuners work great! Could be a donor guitar!

Back in Open G.....after I mow the back lawn, I will try to get my old iMac working to make a quick recording. Maybe.

UPDATE: I did get down a quick and dirty slide track -  here (to listen, click the line ‘Listen In Browser’ or it takes you to their website:

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

13 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

Probably fine, but 2017 could be prime ‘binding falling off’ territory.....maybe look for a 12 fret before say...2005? (slightly bitter and twisted, just got the loose binding repaired on my 2016 CEO7, no warranty outside US...$280! Grumble, grumble...have 2 others loose as well!)

Danger, danger Will Robinson.  We should only trash Gibsons here -  leave Martins in peace. 

13 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

No idea what you would get for the J50 but depending on condition and if you sell it at Retrofret, you will easily get......😐😐🙄

Is that the 12 fretter you want in the link? Do you still have the 15 series 12 fretter, gave you a taste, did it?

BluesKing777.

Binding I'm good at fixing, but I'd surmise that tight little build wouldn't fail beyond the cosmetic.  Still very much love my 00015S, especially for neck comfort, but the full dark tone is the clincher.  A slightly different (smaller) tone isn't something I'd be able to justify throwing dollars at now, especially at the expense of not having an old J hanging on the wall.

Exquisite gritty blues, by the way.  Keep those fingers away from the mower blades!

Edited by jedzep

1 hour ago, jedzep said:

Binding I'm good at fixing, but I'd surmise that tight little build wouldn't fail beyond the cosmetic.  Still very much love my 00015S, especially for neck comfort, but the full dark tone is the clincher.  A slightly different (smaller) tone isn't something I'd be able to justify throwing dollars at now, especially at the expense of not having an old J hanging on the wall.

Exquisite gritty blues, by the way.  Keep those fingers away from the mower blades!

Thanks JZ.

Mundane matters like lawn mowing must affect lots of people since Covid.......we had a guy did the mowing (he bought the mowing round from the glorious and clever Pete, always early and trimmed and weeded but now in ‘facilities management’, whatever that is....) but anyhow the new guy announced he only did mowing, no weeds! And then he didn’t turn up at all! So.....it is me the last few months and let me say what a fine job is being done at last....and...nobody using a blowervac and putting grass and dust on my cars! 😐

BluesKing777.

I have a soft spot in my heart for the ladder-braced LG-1.  When I first started playing, my best friend in high school had an early '50s example his mother had purchased new when she started college.  Back then, I was taking my cues for what a guitar should sound like from the Martin world and the classical guitar world.  Now I kinda want one for low budget fingerstyle jazz - the bark and rapid decay sounds like it could really be fun.

To this day, my head comes up whenever I hear one of these guitars - friend used his to play acoustic leads over my chords for a few years, and that tone always throws me back to the late 70s.