Gibson Brands Forums

Different versions

Whitefang

I saw Yes supported by the 1st Mahavishnu Orchestra in 1972, outdoor concert at Crystal Palace South London.

And not surprisingly the MO completely blew Yes off - but there was no band in the world that could follow that.   Plus (to me anyway) they looked stupid with their Persian carpets, cheesecloth blouses and suede thigh boots.   Apparently it was their first gig with Alan White.  I may have seen them earlier than that too but I don't remember.

50 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I saw Yes supported by the 1st Mahavishnu Orchestra in 1972, outdoor concert at Crystal Palace South London.

And not surprisingly the MO completely blew Yes off - but there was no band in the world that could follow that.   Plus (to me anyway) they looked stupid with their Persian carpets, cheesecloth blouses and suede thigh boots.   Apparently it was their first gig with Alan White.  I may have seen them earlier than that too but I don't remember.

I am sure even though Yes are competent players, I have no doubt MO took them to school. Yeah, Yes liked to dress like stoned out hippies, and Wakeman loved his capes.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

Well, the only time I saw Yes they were dressed somewhat normal/casual.  Nothing radical except Steve Howe's super huge bell-bottomed slacks.  :rolleyes:   Jeez...   He could have hidden a few extra musicians under them.  

Whitefang

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Well, the only time I saw Yes they were dressed somewhat normal/casual.  Nothing radical except Steve Howe's super huge bell-bottomed slacks.  :rolleyes:   Jeez...   He could have hidden a few extra musicians under them.  

Whitefang

I  saw Steve when he was with Hackett in GTR and twice with Asia. I saw Yes five times, but it was in the Trevor Rabin years.