Gibson Brands Forums

NPD (pickups)

Rabs

Nice..  These are becoming rarer than Unicorn s**t so I am glad I got them..  Saw them on Ebay. cost £160 which is ok......  My only issue is that they read almost exactly the same..  Is that normal for minis?

I am thinking about using these on an all black walnut build.

I  may replace the magnet on one of them for the bridge position. 

tdhXFqU.jpg

Hv1LqDg.jpg

ZW6yTmr.jpg

Tsm2CxD.jpg

Edited by Rabs

Yeah, that looks pretty close to  being the same. I have had minis that were very close to being the same. Not quite as close as yours. I have also had some that were significantly different.

Their location, of course, will also make a difference in how they will  sound as well.  I don't know anything about replacing the magnet, so I can't help you there. But that sounds like something that might work. You may want to just try them out the way they are first to see how they sound. You never know, you may like them the way they are.[smile]

Edited by brad1

2 minutes ago, brad1 said:

Yeah, that looks pretty close to  being the same. I have had minis that were very close to being the same. Not quite as close as yours. I have also had some that were significantly different.

There location, of course, will also make a difference in how they will  sound as well.  I don't know anything about replacing the magnet, so I can't help you there. But that sounds like something that might work. You may want to just try them out the way they are first to see how they sound. You never know, you may like them the way they are.[smile]

Yeah.. You never know.. I can also use different caps..  Maybe a .033 for the neck and a .022 for the bridge or something.. Or get 300k pots for one and 500k for the other... Theres lots of options really. From what I have seen changing the magnet is a pretty easy thing to do, they should just slide out, you just have to take note of which end is which for polarity.

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Nice..  These are becoming rarer than Unicorn s**t so I am glad I got them..  Saw them on Ebay. cost £160 which is ok......  My only issue is that they read almost exactly the same..  Is that normal for minis?

I am thinking about using these on an all black walnut build.

I  may replace the magnet on one of them for the bridge position. 

tdhXFqU.jpg

Hv1LqDg.jpg

ZW6yTmr.jpg

Tsm2CxD.jpg

.01 k ohms is 10 ohms, so nothing you would notice in either position. They have the same patten number, so I would assume they are the same pickup. Without a B or N, or a R or L designator stamped on it how would you know it was a one or the other?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

They have the same patten number, so I would assume they are the same pickup. Without a B or N, or a R or L designator stamped on it how would you know it was a one or the other?

Usually the bridge will have higher resistance.. Usually..

23 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Usually the bridge will have higher resistance.. Usually..

Oh yeah I've installed lots of pups when I had 'Lectrics. If you placed and order and that was the only number you had, and you ordered 10 of them you would get 10 of the same pickup. The strings by the bridge don't vibrate as much as they do at the neck, so the bridge pup needs be hotter.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-P90-Soapbar-Style-Mini-Humbuckers_c_237.html

(Note that these below are one of the lowest resistance sets they have with the bridge PU being 1.1K higher)

https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--Mini-Crunchy-Humbucker-CREAM-rings--Kwikplug™-Ready_p_22029.html

KP - Mini Crunchy Humbucker, CREAM rings - Kwikplug™ Ready

Detachable Solder Lead - Kwikplug Compatible - Neck Position - 7.5K - KPE60 [+$32.95]

Detachable Solder Lead - Kwikplug Compatible - Bridge Position - 8.6K - KPE61 [+$32.95]

Cream_KPE56.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

https://www.guitarfetish.com/Gibson-P90-Soapbar-Style-Mini-Humbuckers_c_237.html

(Note that these below are one of the lowest resistance sets they have with the bridge PU being 1.1K higher)

https://www.guitarfetish.com/KP--Mini-Crunchy-Humbucker-CREAM-rings--Kwikplug™-Ready_p_22029.html

KP - Mini Crunchy Humbucker, CREAM rings - Kwikplug™ Ready

Detachable Solder Lead - Kwikplug Compatible - Neck Position - 7.5K - KPE60 [+$32.95]

Detachable Solder Lead - Kwikplug Compatible - Bridge Position - 8.6K - KPE61 [+$32.95]

Yeah.  1.1k and I wouldnt have even questioned it..  .01k of a difference is practically nothing.

In my experience, big manufactures like Fender and Gibson have loose tolerances on pickup specs that go into their own guitars. Not sure if the pickups designated for aftermarket sales are more controlled, but the ones I’ve pulled from guitars in the past have typically not measured within spec

I’d install them and evaluate with ears. Maybe a simple height adjustment can balance them. Can’t say I have any experience with mini humbuckers specifically though

hope you’re well Rabs

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

In my experience, big manufactures like Fender and Gibson have loose tolerances on pickup specs that go into their own guitars. Not sure if the pickups designated for aftermarket sales are more controlled, but the ones I’ve pulled from guitars in the past have typically not measured within spec

I’d install them and evaluate with ears. Maybe a simple height adjustment can balance them. Can’t say I have any experience with mini humbuckers specifically though

hope you’re well Rabs

Yeah man  all good really.

Just having to sit here and watch my country and the world go to crap..  But what can you do? (and we cant really talk about it on here).

I am very lucky compared to a lot of people.

Hope you are doing good too man.

7 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

If you have trouble balancing them you could try installing between a 1K to .5K resistor inline on the neck PU.

I think a different cap or possibly pot size would probably do the trick...  I have some .033 caps that may be perfect for this. Im not really that worried about it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats interesting..

You know how I was asking if mini humbuckers are usually so closely matched..  He has a deluxe model with minis and a guess what .. almost exactly the same 🙂  So it does seem to be a thing...

9:28 in to this vid