Gibson Brands Forums

Can someone help ID this guitar?

Jack Shimizu

Looking for this guitar as an LG-2 ADJ is the reason you're not finding any information - with that reddish finish, the reverse belly/adjustable bridge and a serial number stamped in ink on the back of the headstock, you have a B-25.    I would say 1962.

Internally, it should be pretty much identical to the LG-2s built 1955-1961, and probably still has the smaller maple bridgeplate.  I would suspect this guitar left the factory with a plastic bridge, but that serial number makes me think it's early enough that it might be original rosewood - I don't know enough about that to say for certain.

You guys do have a knack for making me feel old.  What quickly popped into my head was the thought what in the world would you have done with a "used" Gibson back in the day before books and the internet entered out lives.  Unless you found a bill or sale in the case or were buying the from the original owner who knew all of the particulars the best you could do was to figure out the model and narrow down a build period based on features.   You either learned or were going to spend a whole lot of time wonder exactly what you had bought.  The silver lining for me though was back then I really did not care.  Knowing it was a real live guitar and it said Gibson on the headstock was enough.   If nothing else, it was just a nice feeling to have landed a guitar which was worthy of my burgeoning musical talent.  

serial number is '62 thru '64

ratio wise guessing the bridge is a standard 6" wide, it looks like the body is 14" wide so LG1, LG2 or B25

Binding is still reminiscent of the LG's. B25 went to W/B/W 

B25 was late '62

'62 LG1 went to plastic bridge and normally no back center strip

My guess is an early to mid 1962 LG2 

On 9/3/2022 at 8:26 AM, zombywoof said:

Knowing it was a real live guitar and it said Gibson on the headstock was enough.   If nothing else, it was just a nice feeling to have landed a guitar which was worthy of my burgeoning musical talent.  

That's the way I always felt, too.

17 minutes ago, MoniqueMJ said:

Very true.  You would think with the serial number  would help with the year and model

Monique

Gibson is the master of rolling a clue into an enigma, then turning it into a puzzle, and then wrapping it with a  bow, and a ton of doubt.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper