Gibson Brands Forums

Hurricane

Sgt. Pepper

On 10/1/2022 at 9:42 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

According to my aunt who literally lost everything to Hurricane Sandy, don't give your money to the red cross. Figure out a different way to donate.  I don't know her specific reasoning but she dealt with them for years and that's what she said.  YMMV. 

Thanks, I'll look into that

Notes ♫

On 10/2/2022 at 9:52 AM, DanvillRob said:

Glad you're safe.

I don't believe there is anywhere you can build where it is 100% safe...but best to 'plan'!

True, but to rebuild in a place that has been wiped out by hurricanes since 1960 is just asking for it.

Actually, building on a barrier island anywhere from Texas to North Carolina is asking for it. The barrier islands protect the mainland by taking the brunt of the storm.

In my life, here in South Florida I've seen storms wash over barrier islands fairly frequently. Before the population boom it wasn't a problem, as the chances of it washing away a part where there is a building was smaller, and the number of buildings was a fraction of what it is today.

There is no place safe, but on the other hand, there are places where history tells us disaster will strike again and again, and IMO it's foolish to live there.

Notes ♫

4 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

True, but to rebuild in a place that has been wiped out by hurricanes since 1960 is just asking for it.

Actually, building on a barrier island anywhere from Texas to North Carolina is asking for it. The barrier islands protect the mainland by taking the brunt of the storm.

In my life, here in South Florida I've seen storms wash over barrier islands fairly frequently. Before the population boom it wasn't a problem, as the chances of it washing away a part where there is a building was smaller, and the number of buildings was a fraction of what it is today.

There is no place safe, but on the other hand, there are places where history tells us disaster will strike again and again, and IMO it's foolish to live there.

Notes ♫

Yes, you're right....that's why it's best to plan.

I live in California..... the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 taught me appreciate nature.... it can 'shake us off' at any time it wants!

I'm concerned about the "Super Volcano" that is Yellowstone..... if/when it goes.... whoever is left is in for a LONG winter!

40 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Yes, you're right....that's why it's best to plan.

I live in California..... the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 taught me appreciate nature.... it can 'shake us off' at any time it wants!

I'm concerned about the "Super Volcano" that is Yellowstone..... if/when it goes.... whoever is left is in for a LONG winter!

As someone who lived in Cali from the time I was 2 until 21 and then back again at 25 until 31, I would rather deal with earthquakes. I remember a big one my senior year in high school in '84. The one in '89 I was in Japan. 

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

As someone who lived in Cali from the time I was 2 until 21 and then back again at 25 until 31, I would rather deal with earthquakes. I remember a big one my senior year in high school in '84. The one in '89 I was in Japan. 

Other than my 2 years with Uncle Sam, I've lived in California since 1949.    Big earthquake in NorCal in about 1957, (I recall the tables in the cafeteria at school falling down), then a pretty big one in about 1981 or so, (I was laying on my family room floor reading and could see the water splash out of the swimming pool).   Then Loma Prieta, (whatever year it was).    There was about a 2 month period of time when we had multiple 'moderate' earthquakes every day at my house....never knew if they were leading up to a "Big One" or just releving pressure....but it was nearly every danged day!   But when I lived in Pennsylvania (winter of 1970-71), many people died due to the cold....so what are ya gonna do?   At least with a hurricane you have plenty of notice....with an earthquake, you get none!

3 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Other than my 2 years with Uncle Sam, I've lived in California since 1949.    Big earthquake in NorCal in about 1957, (I recall the tables in the cafeteria at school falling down), then a pretty big one in about 1981 or so, (I was laying on my family room floor reading and could see the water splash out of the swimming pool).   Then Loma Prieta, (whatever year it was).    There was about a 2 month period of time when we had multiple 'moderate' earthquakes every day at my house....never knew if they were leading up to a "Big One" or just releving pressure....but it was nearly every danged day!   But when I lived in Pennsylvania (winter of 1970-71), many people died due to the cold....so what are ya gonna do?   At least with a hurricane you have plenty of notice....with an earthquake, you get none!

My relatives were visiting from Jersey in '79. It was around 9 am or so and my cousin, and I were in my bedroom listening to music on the 8 track player, and all of a sudden the bed stated shaking. After it was over, I said to him, that you just felt an earthquake. The one in high school was just after lunch in Biology class. A few mins later there was an aftershock.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My relatives were visiting from Jersey in '79. It was around 9 am or so and my cousin, and I were in my bedroom listening to music on the 8 track player, and all of a sudden the bed stated shaking. After it was over, I said to him, that you just felt an earthquake. The one in high school was just after lunch in Biology class. A few mins later there was an aftershock.

Think we hijacked this thread!   

The one I was thinking about must have  been in 1979....I know I was working nights which is why I was home reading at 9 AM!

9 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Think we hijacked this thread!   

The one I was thinking about must have  been in 1979....I know I was working nights which is why I was home reading at 9 AM!

All threads get high jacked. My Pink Floyd one turned in to a Bob Segar thread. I have no issues. I'm guilty of doing it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Of all the natural disasters I can think of, earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunamis, forest fires, volcanoes, blizzards, and so on, I think I am lucky to be in a hurricane zone.

I know what kind of house to live in (not one of those 2by4 frame houses), where to live (on high ground and not on a barrier island), how to prepare the house, what goods to store, and we also know days in advance that it's coming.

Years ago I read about a gal who was woken up in the night by a quake, and jumped out the window right before her building collapsed.

With advance warning, I can make the decision to stay or flee. So far it's been stay, but the storms are getting worse, so I'll decide every time.

The wind is bad, but the water is worse. I live on an ancient sand dune, 32' above sea level. I call it the Florida Alps. 🙂 If there ever is a storm surge higher than 32 feet forecasted, I'm putting my computers and instruments in the car and hauling my bottom outta here.

Notes ♫

3 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

Years ago I read about a gal who was woken up in the night by a quake, and jumped out the window right before her building collapsed.

Notes ♫

The story that caused me nightmares for years is the story of the Fire Chief in San Francisco in 1906.   Since the gas lines were broken all over the city, there were immediately a lot of fires, and there were no lights in homes, (they were also gas operated).   He was sleeping upstairs when the quake occurred (5:13 AM), and he jumped up.....in the dark, got dressed and rushed downstairs only to fall into a huge crack in the earth never to be seen again!    Is the story true?   I don't know...I suppose he could have used the quake as an excuse to run off to Boise with Miss Kitty from the local cat house....but it scared the devil out of me.

No chances of Earthquakes or hurricanes here in MI.  Tornadoes and severe thunderstorms are the only natural threats.  We did experience a few slight quakes in the last 20 or so years, but nothing much damaging.  ad we might get the occasional hurricane remnant drifting up here, causing heavy rain and some wind.  And sometimes power outages.   I've known people here who moved down to Florida to, as they say, escape the Michigan winters.  Which really aren't as bad as in Minnesota or North Dakota.  Plus living in Michigan for 71 years I've never experienced a winter that caused people to lose their homes to wind or flooding or that washed out entire communities and roads.  I'm guessing after Ian the Michigan Winters don't really look so bad after all.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I guess it doesn't matter. It's a good lesson about being prepared. Wear pajamas, if you have to run out of the building in an earthquake, you would probably be more comfortable with some clothes on.

PJ's won't help my phobia about falling into a crevice that opens up during a big earthquake!   Got me as a kid....not so much now..... like the old song goes, "Too Old To Die Young"!

On 10/4/2022 at 11:41 AM, Whitefang said:

No chances of Earthquakes or hurricanes here in MI.  Tornadoes and severe thunderstorms are the only natural threats.  We did experience a few slight quakes in the last 20 or so years, but nothing much damaging.  ad we might get the occasional hurricane remnant drifting up here, causing heavy rain and some wind.  And sometimes power outages.   I've known people here who moved down to Florida to, as they say, escape the Michigan winters.  Which really aren't as bad as in Minnesota or North Dakota.  Plus living in Michigan for 71 years I've never experienced a winter that caused people to lose their homes to wind or flooding or that washed out entire communities and roads.  I'm guessing after Ian the Michigan Winters don't really look so bad after all.

Whitefang

My former sister-in-law lost a house in a Tornado. Fortunately she wasn't harmed (in the bathtub cowering).

I spent a winter in the U.P. and it was way too cold. Car broke down 2 miles from the nearest anything that was open. That was one cold walk.

When you see the destroyed homes on TV and other media due to hurricanes, I'd guess 99% of them are on barrier islands. They call them barrier islands for a reason.

If you live near an airport, expect plane noise.

If you live near a school, expect children.

If you live on a busy street, expect traffic

If you live on a barrier island, except storm surge up to 15 feet.

I ask this, after the island (Ft. Myers Beach) has been destroyed 4 times in my lifetime, why rebuild?

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Anywhere in the UP is a far piece from anywhere else.  Even crossing the "big Mac" to get there is a long drive.  [wink]

I've lived near Metro airport (10 miles at least) and got well used to planes flying over.  Prop planes when I was a kid, then Jet airliners.  Always seemed to live in the path of a runway.  I remember the TV getting messed up when they'd fly over.  Then, Lincoln Park being situated between two major railway lines I got accustomed to hearing trains roll along and their occasional horns blowing.   And too,  lake freighters coasting through the Detroit River blowing their horns and whistles.  And in the "day",  the summer sound of the Bob-Lo boats  sounding off.

Whitefang

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I lived next to a railroad - I remember being in bed the first time a train rolled through and (since I was right by the crossing) blowing the horn.  I remember thinking "oh sh!t, I don't know if I can live here".   After a few weeks I stopped hearing it at all.   It's weird how we can tune out loud sounds like that. 

Sarge how is the recovery going? The world moves on way before the recovery happens.  I saw some brutal footage, that was pretty bad in some area. 

We took no damage. Lost power for less than 24 hours. The beach front got a little beat up. Lots of sand and siding blown around. I only saw a few trees down. I expected more. The pier on Ocean Blvd took some damage. I think I heard some of it washed away. It was Bike Week, so I guess  a lot of the stinky bikers and their old ladies stayed away, but there were still Harley's out and about the day after. Nothing better than a loud Harley and then the guy on the bike has to blast his s-hitty music twice as loud to over come the engine noise.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We took no damage. Lost power for less than 24 hours. The beach front got a little beat up. Lots of sand and siding blown around. I only saw a few trees down. I expected more. The pier on Ocean Blvd took some damage. I think I heard some of it washed away. It was Bike Week, so I guess  a lot of the stinky bikers and their old ladies stayed away, but there were still Harley's out and about the day after. Nothing better than a loud Harley and then the guy on the bike has to blast his s-hitty music twice as loud to over come the engine noise.

Glad you're okay (other than the stinky bikers with their $hitty music).