Gibson Brands Forums

Yusuf "Cat Stevens" Islam

TWilson

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There is a slight difficulty with Pascal's wager. Which religion is one sposed to place the bet on? Christianity only? Why not Islam? If a new religion comes along should we place covering bets on that too?

Don't get me wrong. There is more than a slight difficulty with Pascal's Wager. Those who are much more knowledgeable about these things than I say that the theory behind the wager is inherently flawed.

Johnt - as a UK based fan, you might like to know:

Steven Demetre Georgiou, a.k.a. Cat "call me Yusuf Islam" Stevens is on "Later With Jools Holand" on BBC2 at 10pm Tuesday 21st April.

Do you remember "I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun"..... I remember a gig when somebody put a toy robot on the stage during that number that had little guns sticking out of it and really hacked Cat off - so serious, so intense. If my memory is right, it was during one of those dire package tours they did back in the day. The Walker Brothers supported by Englebert Humperdink, Cat Stevens and Jimi Hendrix and whoever. We went to Sarf London to see Hendrix and found Stevens insufferably tedious, but, as you are so fond of saying.....

Chacun son goût.

Ran "to each his own" through BabelFish into French - got this:

Les chiens aboient, la caravane passe.

"The dogs bark, the caravan passes."

In this Cat Stevens-Yusuf Islam case we need to think and speak about Allah' date=' not about God.

If Allah saved the life of Cat Stevens and the price was to create Yusuf Islam out of him - Ashadu Allah in la Allah!

It would be better for most of us (I think) if in that epiphany were a topic about "continuing to play on guitar and sing", but alas...

What's done is done!

Uashhadu Allah Mohamed da nu rasullu Allah! (or how the story goes in some sandy places on Earth)

:-k

[/quote']

You might be right. I was just stating things from my own Chrisitan perspective, as it was being done to denegrate the Christian name of the Almighty.

In my own opinion, God, Allah, The Almighty, and The One God, some Native Americans speak of are one in the same. Moses, Jesus, Muhammed, Buhdah, Confucius are all his sons, his physical manifestation on earth to us human beings... In my own opinion. Follow whichever one speaks to you.

There is a slight difficulty with Pascal's wager. Which religion is one sposed to place the bet on? Christianity only? Why not Islam? If a new religion comes along should we place covering bets on that too?

Exactly. It seems a coward's way out--I don't know if there is or isn't a "god," so let me cover myself and stake no real claim. It also presupposes the ability to switch belief on and off at will--I choose to believe in a fiction because it soothes me, or protects me from the consequences of a mistake in judgement. One has to wonder at the magnificence of a "creator" who commands such cowardly submission. Doesn't it seem obvious that "god" is a creation, rather than a creator? Just sayin'.

There's a lot of people out there who seem to 'know' how everything began and also what awaits each of us when we assume room temperature. I have no idea.

At the end of the day if you can look yourself in the mirror and know you did what you could to make yourself someone neither your parents nor your children would be ashamed of, then I guess you did good that day. Tomorrow hopefully you'll try again. Me too.

I don't have a whole lot of use for organized religion and I won't bother to explain why. The whole idea leaves a rotten taste in my mouth but I'm in the minority and there's nothing to be gained by stomping on other's beliefs.

I hope there's something beyond this. I guess I'll have to wait and see like everyone else.

It could be worse, like the agnostic dyslexic who spent his life wondering if there really was a dog.

Sorry if that gets you all in a dither ballcorner' date=' it's not my intent. Benny Hinn, et. al. might be charlatans, but God isn't. If I'm wrong, what have I lost? If you're wrong... what will you lose?[/quote']

Nothing ever gets me in a dither, but thanks for your concern nonetheless. I simply like to make the point that there is absolutely no legitimate evidence of the existence of god, fairies, Santa, leprechauns or aliens - though the root need in humanity for all of these illusions is readily apparent.

I have lost nothing by dismissing these myths. I have more free time than you on Sundays and I keep all my pay in my own home for my own needs.

Wow did this thread change course! It started with my excitement at seeing so many SJ-200's on the Chris Issac show to God' date=' Allah, Rah, The One. I'm pretty sure God plays an SJ-200 'burst.[/quote']

I expected that. That's why when I posted the photo of Yusuf playing the J200 I didn't name him and asked that the thread be about music and guitars and nothing else. :-k

I liked the first three Cat Stevens albums (Mona, Tea, and Moonshadow, right?), and what appealed to me was always the great rythm guitar. It seems so effortless, yet I could never get the hang--just as I couldn't get Pete Townshend's rapid fanning down. Alun Davies was a plus as well.

I remember seeing a number of filmed concerts where Cat was playing an Ovation.

The release of Yusuf Islam's stuff has left me cold; just no connection to the (overly?) earnest folkie from the seventies. All the religious/philosophical baggage is irrelevant to me.

...no legitimate evidence of the existence of god, fairies, Santa, leprechauns or aliens ...

That's why it's called faith.

We are asked to take on faith that we descended from apes. That there was a "Big Bang" that started this all...

Assuming there was a "Big Bang", who lit the fuse? What came before the BB? That one's tougher to believe than the existence of a superior being who created this all.

...no legitimate evidence of the existence of god' date=' fairies, Santa, leprechauns or aliens ...

That's why it's called faith.

We are asked to take on faith that we descended from apes. That there was a "Big Bang" that started this all...

Assuming there was a "Big Bang", who lit the fuse? What came before the BB? That one's tougher to believe than the existence of a superior being who created this all.[/quote']

We aren'tasked to take evolution on faith--there is abundant scientific evidence. The Big Bang is a theory, well supported by the scientific community, who posit beliefs based on evidence. The argument that someone/something "lit the fuse" begs the question of where the "lighter" came from. Perhaps nothing "came before the big bang." What came before a "creator"? Circular reasoning, resolving nothing.

A lot of interesting points have been made here but I think this discussion is hurting peoples feelings. Let it go.

Thanks Jerry, This thread turn a 180 degrees, it's suppose to be about guitars & some how religion was add into it. Never mix politics & religion. Lets get on with playing our guitars.

Peace to every body

Did anyone locate Cat's flamed maple J200 that he gave away in the late '70's?

Here it is again tuned to open E! These guitars are built hey?

Anyone else have the guts to tune a Gibson to open E?

PDVD_005.jpg

points to those who notice the subtle shift back to music and guitars.

Rosewoody wrote:

Agreed' date=' this belongs in the lounge where they get really worked up over politics and religion.[/quote']

FINALLY - someone sees the irony.

BC, if you go pack to page one, 5th post in...YOU were the one who turned this thread political/religious in the first place!

As for the irony, Aren't you the same guy who just a few weeks ago wanted to leave the forums because there was too much B.S. and not enough tech./guitar talk?

I'm not angry, I'm just sayin'.

Wow.

I thought I was in the "Lounge".

:D

I'd really love to comment.

Really.

What ever happened to 1. acoustic 2. Electric 3. other

So, tell me about it, Murphy. He is acoustic, after all.

Archived