Gibson Brands Forums

Can't find the serial number.

dmsroy

Hi, I have just inherited a number of guitars, including a Gibson Les Paul that I can't find a serial number of.  All the others are great guitars but is there somewhere I haven't looked to find the serial number?

Screen-Shot-2022-10-12-at-7-59-03-am.png

Edited by dmsroy
adding image

Sometimes with solid colours they overspray somewhat and fill the serial number in. If you look at the back of the headstock with some direct light you may be able to make something out.. That seems to be a LP Studio.. You dont really get fakes of those and it does look ok from that pic.. It also looks like an ebony fretboard which they only did on Studios up to the early/mid 90s...

Thats  an amazing gift to be left..  And sorry for your loss.

Edited by Rabs

On 10/12/2022 at 12:34 PM, Rabs said:

Sometimes with solid colours they overspray somewhat and fill the serial number in. If you look at the back of the headstock with some direct light you may be able to make something out.. That seems to be a LP Studio.. You dont really get fakes of those and it does look ok from that pic.. It also looks like an ebony fretboard which they only did on Studios up to the early/mid 90s...

Rab, thanks for this. It does look as if there was osmekind of refurbish/repair on the headstock. I appreciate your kind words. Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Metal Toddz said:

If the pots r original, there r codes on them that indicate date of manufacture. U can get an approximate date on the guitar that way. Cant believe no one has told u this. For shame!

Metal

Thanks - will do. Guitar in transit now from France to Australia so will have a look in a few months when it arrives.

On 10/12/2022 at 3:34 AM, Rabs said:

Rabs is a "glass half full" guy 🙂

I agree. Wait and see.