Gibson Brands Forums

Looks like this might finally be The End Of An Era...

Murph

14 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

In the 1980s I worked for Allen Test Products, marketing automotive diagnostic instruments and emissions testing equipment,  the headquarters were in Kalamazoo, Michigan right across the street from the old Checker Motors Company building, which was at the time a museum with a collection of the company's cars from the 20s till they closed.  I spent more than a few hours wondering around the showroom. 

The Checker plant in Kalamazoo was where the assembly line and other factory scenes for the Richard Pryor movie "Blue Collar"('78) were shot.

So, how far was all that from the old Gibson plant?

Whitefang

58 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The Checker plant in Kalamazoo was where the assembly line and other factory scenes for the Richard Pryor movie "Blue Collar"('78) were shot.

So, how far was all that from the old Gibson plant?

Whitefang

I never made it to the old Gibson shop, but the hidden gem in  Kalamazoo is the Air Zoo.

https://www.airzoo.org/

1 minute ago, jaxson50 said:

I never made it to the old Gibson shop, but the hidden gem in  Kalamazoo is the Air Zoo.

https://www.airzoo.org/

I was working in the bus shop in Kalamazoo late one night, (investigating a fire on one of their buses).

A Bus came to off route because it got a bullet hole in one of the passenger windows....doesn't seem like a safe place to visit!

19 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I was working in the bus shop in Kalamazoo late one night, (investigating a fire on one of their buses).

A Bus came to off route because it got a bullet hole in one of the passenger windows....doesn't seem like a safe place to visit!

Yea, but....

Anybody watching YELLOWSTONE might think Bozeman's not a safe place to visit...

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Yea, but....

Anybody watching YELLOWSTONE might think Bozeman's not a safe place to visit...

I never watched Yellowstone…..but did watch “The Last Cowboy”….my cousin’s husband was one of the last cowboys…..came on right after Yellowstone.

[wink]                                                            

FZPZK3JMFBCTHGW3NRA5S6A2J4.jpg

Whitefang   

48 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

[wink]                                                            

FZPZK3JMFBCTHGW3NRA5S6A2J4.jpg

Whitefang   

Gonna be tough for those people in the yellow house to get an UBER!

• Haha 1

We have a similar issue in our city. An out of town developer purchased our two old hospitals about 10 years ago with big plans for the site that never materialized.  Now it's a huge eyesore in our prime downtown waterfront area. The same thing happened with an old brewery in the same area but at least that one finally  got torn down . Probably only because it was near City Hall. They cut these scammers too much slack.

• Like 1

And don't you find it odd that in some places perfectly sound and usable structures get torn down posthaste while useless old condemned eyesores take forever to get razed?   Another example;

The Sears Shopping center, my town's largest and oldest strip mall, with Sears being the flagship business,  went "fallow" when Sears closed the huge department store that's been there since before I was born.  There were several other long time stores there with several closing up and others moving into their spaces.  There was a Florsheim shoe store, a Kinney's Shoes, Hughs, Hatcher, Suffren store, Meyer jeweler's, Cunningham Drugs and S.S. Kresge among the stores along the adjoining strip.  Since Sears closed, the remaining empty strip structure was completely demolished.  Apparently, it was done in preparation of having some other business get the land and build something there, but nothing's happened since it was all torn down.  but the building that housed Sears still stands.  But still looks good, despite it's age.

Whitefang