Gibson Brands Forums

Help choosing a LP!

TsunamiBr

Hi all,

I'm looking for some wise advice... I'm going to purchase a new LP. I currently own a Fender Strato, and a Epi LP Special. The fact is, I'm coming to play more and more my LP instead of the strato, so I decided to go for a better one.

Well, I don't have that much cash, so I'm in between a Gibson Vintage Mahogany, and a Epiphone Black Beauty 3 (which I'd replace the pup's for Gibson or SD, don't know yet, have to think a bit more). Both sound great, although I think the BB wins beauty wise (no pun intended, heheh). So, what's your opinion? Could a modded BB sound as good as a VM? Would it be worth it?

Thanks!

Rodrigo

callen, the Vintage mahogany is a studio. I'd go with the VM over any epi to be honest. The vintage mahogany sounds similar to the standard because its closer to that than a studio. Its just missing the cosmetics, and also the maple cap, which is mahogany. Now along the lines, I wouldn't buy an epi to put pups in to sound like a gibson, its just not going to happen. You can get close to the sound, but quality and others wouldn't top it. Gibson doesn't sacrafice sound quality on their cheaper models. they sacrafice as I stated, cosmetics. Hope this helps.

callen' date=' the Vintage mahogany is a studio. I'd go with the VM over any epi to be honest. The vintage mahogany sounds similar to the standard because its closer to that than a studio. Its just missing the cosmetics, and also the maple cap, which is mahogany. Now along the lines, I wouldn't buy an epi to put pups in to sound like a gibson, its just not going to happen. You can get close to the sound, but quality and others wouldn't top it. Gibson doesn't sacrafice sound quality on their cheaper models. they sacrafice as I stated, cosmetics. Hope this helps.[/quote']

not to be an a** but maple tops are not mahogany. and my sugestion is a stsndard all the way!=D>/

Archived