Gibson Brands Forums

A new Gibson has joined my herd (Lots of pics)

ryanfender

I recently purchased a 2007 Gibson J-185 from member of the AGF and thought I would post some of my own pictures. I think its one of the best bursts I have seen and the tone is very impressive. Its definitely an good example. I am thinking about upgrading the saddle but I am concerned about how it will work with the UST. I am still debating if I should experiment. The guitar seems to respond very well to fingerstyle which was surprising. Of course, like any maple jumbo it is a loud cannon when strummed. I am really starting to love it and thought I would share.

Sorry for all the glare.

DSC00502.jpg

DSC00503.jpg

DSC00504.jpg

DSC00505.jpg

DSC00506.jpg

DSC00507.jpg

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

DSC00510.jpg

DSC00511.jpg

ryanfender:

very nice guitar. I'm A big fan of the J-i85. When did they stop putting the Maltese crosses on the bridge?

I don't when they stopped put the maltese crosses on the bridge but the Gibson website shows them missing on the J-185 as well. Personally, since I am not Jesse James nor do I own a custom chopper, I appreciate them not there. It gives a more understated classic feel.

Anyone know why they do away with the crosses? KSDADDY?

Thanks for all the kind words everyone.

The originals built between 1951 and 1959 had the maltese cross and kluson tuners. They re-introduced the J-185 several years ago, and the True Vintage model matches the original vintage model. The modern classic is the same guitar w/o the vintage features (kluson tuners and maltese cross inlays on the bridge).

Archived