Gibson Brands Forums

Tex Ritter

Hall

Hey Gitfidl!

I didn't want to heist the " experience thread", but regarding your Avatar. Great movie. I have the music somewhere around here as we used used to play the theme as our late break number at very small bars where folks appreciated the finer things and acoustic guitars along with their good tobacco and beer.

If you have netflix, do a search for "Town Hall Party". It's an amazing TV show from the early 50s with Tex Ritter, Joe Maphis, The Collins Kids and guest shots by Johnny Cash and Merle Travis. More great guitar playing than you can shake a stick at.

I am pretty sure I have "High Noon" lyrics here someplace (I'll Search" ... I do not have butliked Hillbilly Heaven .. (and anything done by Gary Cooper, Tex Ritter, Jimmy Stewart, Joel MacRae, Roy, Gene, Hopalong, and of course John Wayne). I cannot play the William Tell Overature though. (Is this considererd "illegal" -- I will remove it if this is against the rules -- also the chords are not spaced right"

HIGH NOON- Tex Ritter

D

Do not forsake me, oh my darling

G

On this our wedding day

D G

>G >Edim A7 /// ////

Wait, wait along

D

I do not know what fate awaits me

G

I only know I must be brave

D

For I must face a man who hates me

Gm D Gm D

Or die a coward, a craven coward

Gm Edim F#m7 G A7 D

Or die a coward in my grave

D

Oh, to be torn twixt love and duty

Supposin' I love my fair haired beauty

Look at that big hand movin' round

A7

Nearin' high noon

G

He made a vow while in state prison

D

Said it would be my life or hisn'

Gm

I'm not afraid to die but oh

D >Em A7

What will I do if you leave me?

D

G

You make that promise as a bride

D

Gm D Gm D

Although you're grievin', don't think of leavin'

Gm F#m7/Dm7/G/ A7/ D///

Not while I need you by my side

G D

Wait along, wait along

Gm D D6

Wait along, wait along

Oh yes. I have "The Searchers" in both VHS and CD. (What makes a man to wander). Terrific movie. John Ford (but a much different theme than the calvalry movies). He was search for himself and couldn't find it. He was looking everywhere to find out who he was. It seemed like he had a previous love for her, but stepped aside for his brother. He tried ranching but left it. He was a soldier but his side lost. He robbed a Union gold shipment, but he was not a criminal. BUT IN SEARCHING for his niece he found out he was an uncle. In the end though the door closed and he was still outside and everybody else was home.

How many men are searching? They ask us "what areyou going TO BE when you grow up?" (when will I grow up??) But that is not how it works out. You get a job to pay your bills but it's not "it." So you go to voc-ed or college and that is ot it either -- or else is IS it but the company closes or the vocation goes out of existence. [lots of dentists left dentistry for reasons of that kind][air plane makers close -- McDonald, Lockheed, North American . many of them].

What I found -- and kind of late -- it that my family is the only thing that matters. Everything else ends. Even WE end. The family is what "means" something. Your kids and you wife; their kids. (In my case I was divorced by the time I figured that out)

Searchers music -- Lorena -- a very big Civil War song. A lonely song -- liked by both sides -- about a God forsaken war that would not end. (worse than Vietnam and even WWII). Also -- Gather at the River -- all John Ford funderals used Gather at the River. Skip to My Lou at the wedding.

Meaning -- our lives have the "meaning" we ascribe to it. But we seek meaning. We do not want to be meaning-less and we do not want to be "Dust in the Wind." I do not think Americans view themselves as Dust in the Wind or Masses or Sand Pebbles. We still see ourselves as "individuals" and we see meaning ("search" for it) in what we do and in who we are/become.

Gitfidl:

I know what you are saying for certain.

Return compliment: Probably any 3 in your key will cover it

"The Theme From The Searchers"

(Sons of The Pioneers, 1956)

* extra verses, Tex Ritter

What makes a man to wander

What makes a man to roam

What makes a man leave bed and board

And turn his back on home

Ride away, ride away, ride away

A man will search his heart and soul

Go searchin' way out there

His peace of mind he knows he'll find

But where, oh Lord, Lord where

Now, a man will search for fortune

Of silver and of gold

The silver he finds in his hair

While a weary heart grows old

The snow is deepand oh, so white

the winds they howl and moan

Fire cooks a man his buffalo meat

But his lonely heart won't warm

=D>

When I was pretty young, our family used to watch that show with Tex Ritter. For some reason I always called it The Tex Ritter Show. My sister and I used to pretend we were guest stars on the show. Ha I switched my allegiance to Annette Funicello shortly after that!

Why do we like "westerns?" (oaters) Is it because the problems (in the story) are simple black and white right/wrong and fairly easy to solve? (water rights for cows). Or is it because the 19th century is history and cannot happen now? Or because they solved all the problems with a six gun? (Shane! Come back Shane!) My father watched Gun Smoke from about 1955 until 1989. He must have watched all of the episodes at least three times. Also Paladin, Rifleman, Wyatt Earp. It is also "good" when the pirates get killed and the good guys get liberated (for once). There is a stage coach stop over in Ocotillo Wells (60 miles to the east) that could have been the one in the movie "Stage Coach" and I have driven from there to Yuma to Tucson to Tombstone to Bisbee to Lordsburg where the stage coach started. I have been to Apache Pass and to the Geronimo surrender site. None of those are as interesting when standing there as John Ford made them in his movies. Nor are they particularly important in history (like Lewis and Clark) or Chalmette or Antietam.

I love High Noon, and have always reserved a certain kind of dream for Grace Kelly. (My God what a face.) But Tex Ritter's singing throughout? By the end of the movie I am ready to yank out the speaker wires. Sing like a bird he did not.

Incidentally Mel Brook's "Blazing Saddles" was a direct send-up of High Noon, in case one of you hadn't noticed.

The Searchers? Ken Curtis was a star of "The Sons of the Pioneers" and played Charlie McCory. He sang with Tommy Dorsey in the '30s and appeared in many John Ford films. Most people remember him for playing "Festus" on "Gunsmoke."

Ken Curtis was a star of "The Sons of the Pioneers" and played Charlie McCory. He sang with Tommy Dorsey in the '30s and appeared in many John Ford films. Most people remember him for playing "Festus" on "Gunsmoke."

A lot of us remember him as the cowardly drunk Jerry Farrell in "The Killer Shrews". Now there's a classic film!

-- Bob R

Hijacking the thread a bit further...

(credit IMDB)

Trivia: Ken Curtis

AKA Festus

Grew up in Las Animas, Colorado, where his father, Dan Gates, was sheriff. As was the custom at the time, they lived above the jail and his mother, Nellie (Sneed) Gates, cooked for the prisoners. He once said he patterned "Festus" after a local character known as Cedar Jack, who lived about 40 miles out in the cedar hills and made a living cutting cedar fence posts for farmers and ranchers. When he came to Las Animas, he usually ended up drunk and in jail. This gave Curtis plenty of opportunity to observe him.

Introduced the western standard "Tumbling Tumbleweeds" to movie audiences.

Before acting career, sang with Tommy Dorsey's band and the Sons of the Pioneers.

Son-in-law of director John Ford.

Inducted (as a cast member of "Gunsmoke" (1955)) into the Hall of Great Western Performers of the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in 1981.

Early in his career, he sang with Shep Fields' Orchestra.

Although his character, Festus Haggen, was introduced to "Gunsmoke" (1955) in an episode called "Us Haggens," in which he arrived in Dodge City to avenge the death of his twin brother, the fact that Festus had a twin was never again mentioned on the show.

On "Gunsmoke" as Festus Haggen, he always drew and fired a pistol with his right hand - but whenever he had to use a rifle, he would bring it up to his left shoulder and pull the trigger with his left hand (sighting with his left eye and squinting with his right). Often Festus would squint with the right eye partially closed as well. This was never explained unless the actor or character had lost vision in his right eye.

Refused an offer to appear as Festus Haggen in the movie "Gunsmoke: Return to Dodge" (1987) which reunited James Arness, Amanda Blake, Buck Taylor and Fran Ryan from the original series. Money was the issue. Producer John Mantley, interviewed for TV Guide when the movie aired, said Curtis had demanded double what Blake got; other sources say Mantley was at fault in offering Curtis an insultingly low salary (not specified in either account).

The Sons of the Pioneers were awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for Recording at 6843 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California.

Ken Curtis replaced Frank Sinatra as the male "band singer" for the Tommy Dorsey band when Sinatra went out on his own.

Appeared with the Sons of the Pioneers at Carnegie Hall.

Came from a musical family - his father played the fiddle, his mother the pump organ, brother Chester the banjo, and another brother Carl sang.

Went in 1935 to a college in Colorado Springs to study medicine. While there his love for singing grew and he involved himself in various college musical events.

His stage name was changed to the easier-sounding "Ken Curtis" when he temporarily replaced Frank Sinatra in Tommy Dorsey's band in 1941.

He met singer Jo Stafford while appearing with Johnny Mercer on a radio program. Mercer invited him to make a guest appearance and, in acknowledgment of Jo's latest recording, Ken sang "Tumbling Tumbleweeds". As a result of this appearance, Columbia Pictures signed him up for a series of musical westerns.

Personal Quotes

I'm really proud of "Gunsmoke" (1955). We put on a good show every week, one that families could all watch together without offending anyone.

I did not know any of that either but I liked the character (Festus) and if he began in 1955 then mydad was watching Gunsmoke regularly earlier when (lame) Dennis Weaver ( Chester) was Dillons assistant. Then he left and Festus came on. I liked all of them (too). I also liked Charly McCory in Searchers (1959??)(1958??) (Dennis Weaver -- also was McCloud from New Mexico .. and he was chased by a truck with no driver that was obsessed with killing him)

High Noon was a "protest " movie (by the way) it was written to protest the McCarthy "red scare" in Hollywood. None of the Hollywood big-wigs would fight back and so various (black listed) actors who were labelled "red" had to "go it alone" and for some it was an end to a career. Grace Kelly represents "idealism" and standing on principle no matter what. Katy Jurado represnets "pracical" and flexible. She has learned to do what it takes. The two are "loves" of Will Cain.

(Cain and Abel -- Cain killed his brother and asked "am I my brother's keeper"). Frank Miller is McCarthy who comes to town to maraud and pillage but has no concern for the town. The saloon keeper likes him becuase it keeps the saloon filled. The preacher doesn't like him but is ambivalent (preaches but does not take stands). The mayor only cares about investments and not about the women and kids. So it is a profile of an (American) Calvinist culture: bifurcated, practical, hypoctical, practical, accomodating, inconsistent.

In the end justice had not been served by the courts, by the marshal, by the preacher, by the business comunity. The same train that brought Miller took the women and others away (like the Mississippi River in Huck Finn). (Better was Shane entrance from the Grand tetons -- slowly coming "down from heaven" to rescue the sod-busters .. buthaving killed not going back to heaven -- just OUT.

BACK THEN the screen wroters were not relying upon special effects to make up for plot. They were better writers (not just westerns) but utilized fairly well established plot/story lines (going back to Shakespeare) to bring their conflict to the surface and resolve it. Generally one person cannot resolve the conflict .. so the hero needs the help of a heroine (male/femal perspective) and the good counsel of older (wiser?), magician, etc.

Similar to the saloon in High Noon was the "Space Bar" in Star-Wars, the pirates Inn in Treasure Island -- various and sundry character meet before an adventure begins to unfold and each has some different input. There is often a discussion of the problem and they identify several "dead ends" that cannot save the hero ... the hero learns. (He must slay the dragons, cross the moat and save the damsel before an even greater catastrophe kills her -- the king comes back, the powder bloes up, the train is-a-comin).

Out damned spot. Out I say... all the perfumes of Arabia will not remove the blood from this hand...

Archived