Gibson Brands Forums

The Most Stable and Best Sounding Fretboards

Gabriallaco

Was talking to my guitar tech today about the easiest guitars to refret. He said by far the Gibson two piece laminated fretboards from 2011-2013. For some reason during this time Gibson was using two piece fretboards that were glued together. There was a big deal about the fretboards not being as stable as one piece but the exact opposite was true. For the same reason, they sound much better. I would be interested in buying one personally, either a les paul or a 335. 

27 minutes ago, Gabriallaco said:

Was talking to my guitar tech today about the easiest guitars to refret. He said by far the Gibson two piece laminated fretboards from 2011-2013. For some reason during this time Gibson was using two piece fretboards that were glued together. There was a big deal about the fretboards not being as stable as one piece but the exact opposite was true. For the same reason, they sound much better. I would be interested in buying one personally, either a les paul or a 335. 

So for a 2 year period in Gibson’s history, according to your guitar tech,  those guitars are easy to refret, and according to you sound better. One may be true, but one is an opinion.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've never felt that fretboard material had an effect on the tone of the guitar.  The string touches the fret or nut at one end, and the bridge at the other - it doesn't touch the fretboard, so how can it matter if it's rosewood, ebony, or richlite?  They may feel different to the player but don't see how they can effect the tone.  You can argue about resonance of the different woods etc. but on an electric guitar I think the pickups and amplifier are way more important to the tone than fretboard material.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

I've never felt that fretboard material had an effect on the tone of the guitar.  The string touches the fret or nut at one end, and the bridge at the other - it doesn't touch the fretboard, so how can it matter if it's rosewood, ebony, or richlite?  They may feel different to the player but don't see how they can effect the tone.  You can argue about resonance of the different woods etc. but on an electric guitar I think the pickups and amplifier are way more important to the tone than fretboard material.   

I know it's debatable, but for me; There is something there with Rosewood to Maple, and maybe Ebony (harder tight grain woods)  not a "Holy crap" difference.

At least, in all the years I've been at this, and the very many guitars I've come and gone with, there's "something" there when playing on a maple fretboard that I don't quite hear with rosewood (most of that comes from the times I've spent owning and playing a few dozen different strats.)  Pickups aside, as it goes beyond a drastic "tone change" where pickups are the root cause.   A slight edge of brightness is really what I get from it.

It wouldn't be enough to prefer one to the other, because it is more about the feel than anything else.  Subtle yes. but for me, there.

I still have a my fenders (4 actually) both rosewood and maple boards, well one is actually Pau Ferro which is a rosewood like species..  (The replacement neck I put on my 73 Jaguar restore project.)    hey... or, maybe I'm just bat s--t crazy?

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

I know it's debatable, but for me; There is something there with Rosewood to Maple, and maybe Ebony (harder tight grain woods)  not a "Holy crap" difference.

At least, in all the years I've been at this, and the very many guitars I've come and gone with, there's "something" there when playing on a maple fretboard that I don't quite hear with rosewood (most of that comes from the times I've spent owning and playing a few dozen different strats.)  Pickups aside, as it goes beyond a drastic "tone change" where pickups are the root cause.   A slight edge of brightness is really what I get from it.

It wouldn't be enough to prefer one to the other, because it is more about the feel than anything else.  Subtle yes. but for me, there.

Agree totally.  Very sensible post.  

For me the diff is strickly feel. I bend allot. So a tighter grain works best. Less friction.

Example,

The best (for me) was a 74 LPCBB 20TH. Not because its a C or BB or 20th. Only because it had low wide frets w ebony board. Second to that is Fenders maple.

Contributing factor might be .008 strings. They are easier to bend and in some instances *may be in contact w the board. Deppending on finger pressure and fret height.

Confession;

Loud guitars and jet aircraft over the years. Cant hear for sh*t any more.