Gibson Brands Forums

Internal label ( serial #) peeling off

WhiteCatzs

Nothing too fierce.  Do you have UHU?   Sort of an all-purpose minor-league super glue.  That would do.....even a decent glue stick might do it well enough for a few years.

You  (obviously) will have to make a wire hook thingie, pull the label up and somehow put a dab of glue beneath.  Then you need to smooth over the label very carefully with something like the back of an old disposable razor...bent spoon?   Less is more here IMO.

HNY23!

Edited by jdgm
  • Thanks 1

I've actually done this successfully. Here's what I did:

1. Gently remove old label with a pair of tweezers working from the outside in.

2. Once label is removed make sure there's no residue where the label was. If there is, gently clean it with a very small piece of super fine steel wool.

3. Place the label upside down on a piece of paper. Use a glue stick liberally on the back of the label being sure the edges are completely covered.

4. Carefully place the label back in place with a pair of tweezers.

5. Work from the center out in a circular motion with a q-tip pressing the label down. Be sure to press the edges thoroughly.

6. Be sure to wipe off any extra glue with a q-tip if it should squeeze over the edges. It shouldn't though, that's the advantage of using a glue stick. Also be sure to wipe the f-hole edges with a tissue should any glue comes in contact with it.

I did this on an ES-175 about 10 years ago and it's still going strong. Good luck!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...