Gibson Brands Forums

Damaged burstbucker bridge pickup on a Gibson Les Paul Standard 50s style neck

jalexquijano

I have a slight suspicion that the burstbucker pro alnico V pickup on the bridge position of my gibson les paul standard 50s style may be damaged.

Can someone provide me a list of the symptoms that can help me determine if the pickup is damaged. The guitar tech argues it is damaged but I can still hear sound coming out of it. I have checked the pots and capacitors and everything seems fine. Please provide troubleshooting list.

easy test.. turn all the volumes and tones to 10... turn on your amp, put selector switch up and tap the neck pickup with your pick.. you should hear a tapping sound from the amp.

next put the selector switch down; tap bridge pickup with your pick, you should hear a tapping sound.

If you get that you're at least getting the pickups to work.

easy test.. turn all the volumes and tones to 10... turn on your amp' date=' put selector switch up and tap the neck pickup with your pick.. you should hear a tapping sound from the amp.

next put the selector switch down; tap bridge pickup with your pick, you should hear a tapping sound.

If you get that you're at least getting the pickups to work.[/quote'] I just did that test a week ago and they both work out fine. However, the neck pickup sounds more powerful than the bridge pickup, although they are both burstbucker pro.

Any other symptom that may lead to loss in power within the bridge pickup?

I just did that test a week ago and they both work out fine. However' date=' the neck pickup sounds more powerful than the bridge pickup, although they are both burstbucker pro.

Any other symptom that may lead to loss in power within the bridge pickup?[/quote']

...hm... I thought that was normal for BB pros and other pickups (for the neck pickup to sound a little louder, as it is voiced for that position and also the strings vibrate more in that position than in the bridge).

What is exactly the problem? If it's just level, then you can play a little with the pickup height screws (2, one at each side of the pickup, used to mount the pickup to the ring but also to lower or highen the pickup).

You can lower the neck pickup a little.

Hope this helped.

Do you speak spanish? If so, take a look at the spain/spanish site of the forum.

Bad pots? How can i determine if the pots are damaged? Should I measure them with a multimeter? Do the 4 pots have to measure 500k exactly?

No... the volume pots are probably 300K and the tone pots 500K... try lowering the neck pickup a little first, and highening the bridge pickup a little.

Another easy test to see if a pickup is working. Select the pup, tap on one of the screw heads with a small metal screw driver (or any small metalic object). The tapping with definitely be quite audible thru an amplifier. The volume produced from the tapping should also be farily equal between the two pickups.

Archived