Gibson Brands Forums

What have we got here? (Gibson acoustic)

mschafft

A local shop has listed a pristine Gibson acoustic. See pictures. I asked for the exact model name and they replied they didin't know exactly but gave me a serial number (10813XXX) and said it was from the Southern Custom Shop. Decent deal? Great bargain? Fake? What do you guys say? It's listed for $1,500.

Here are the pics from the ad:

can01.anibis.jpg

can01.anibis1.jpg

can01.anibis2.jpg

can01.anibis3.jpg

Edited by mschafft

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

If its real for $1500 it a good deal. Nothing looks off. I would go see it in person. It should say what it is on the label. 

Looks like one of these. May not be a Vintage though.

https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Acoustic-Guitar/ACCYBI462/Vintage-Sunburst

Thanks a lot. Very useful spec page. Looks great with the LR Baggs. Not sure about the slim taper neck profile as I tend to prefer medium-thick ones.

The serial number says 2013; a Google search of "2013 Gibson Southern Jumbo" turns up numerous examples with Grover Rotomatics and an LR Baggs pickup system, and they're all marked Custom Shop.  I think that for $1500 I'd have already gotten in the truck to drive to wherever it is.  I would check it out and make sure it was okay, because I cannot remember the last time I saw a J-45 for sale for under $2k, unless it had serious issues.  Apparently they were also marketing a Banner reissue that year, but this isn't that one.

The specs I see suggest a 1.725-in nut width, and the only reference to neck shape I've seen for that year was described as "medium" - whatever that means.

Nice looking Sitka top, btw.

I also do not see anything in the photos which sends up big red warning flags.  While I gather Gibson has changed the ways they do serial numbers I would think that in this case it indicates a guitar birthed in 2013.  If that is the case, this guitar is priced about $1K less than I would expect.  Whether that be a bargain or not depends on whether there are any condition issues coming into play.  Admittedly though, I tend to get nervous when I see a description where an owner does their best Sgt. Shultz "I know nothing."    It would not take a whole lot of time on the internet to learn what model the guitar is and that it was put together in Montana which the last time l looked would only be considered south it you were in Canada.  

Edited by zombywoof

15 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

I also do not see anything in the photos which sends up big red warning flags.  While I gather Gibson has changed the ways they do serial numbers I would think that in this case it indicates a guitar birthed in 2013.  If that is the case, this guitar is priced about $1K less than I would expect.  Whether that be a bargain or not depends on whether there are any condition issues coming into play.  Admittedly though, I tend to get nervous when I see a description where an owner does their best Sgt. Shultz "I know nothing."    It would not take a whole lot of time on the internet to learn what model the guitar is and that it was put together in Montana which the last time l looked would only be considered south it you were in Canada.  

Good point. It's in a small music shop in Switzerland. Listed as like new condition.

Edited by mschafft

3 hours ago, philfish said:

Second photo looks like some thing weird on the upper bout treble side 

That just looks like a light reflection. Even if it were a ding, it's a steal at that price, assuming you can inspect (or get more photos) to verify authenticity.

There is nothing obvious that indicates it is not authentic.  It would be nice to know exactly what the label says.

Case  looks real and in excellent shape/  Unlikely a 'faker' is going to get a primo case to further his ruse.  Gibson Southern Jumbos always hold their value.   if you are in the market for a J45, or similar -  this would be a step up and you would NOT be disappointed. Could be a keeper for you, even though ti was not for someone else.    

Whoops -    Sorry, you missed out.    "The one that got away."   !