Gibson Brands Forums

2000 Sheryl Crow Country Western any good???

aldiablo

Ah right cool. Yeah I have to say it sounded great in the very short time I spent with it. So much better than the Guild F55 Maple I tried out last weekend. Looking forward to heading back and trying out the Firebird and Country Western properly.

I own one of the newer SC Country Westerns. I’ve never been a Sheryl Crow fan - I don’t dislike her music but I don’t think about her often. I got the guitar because I love all of the ingredients.

The newer ones have the thermally aged top, 30’s advanced bracing and a slightly wider nut. The “older” SC Country Westerns are very similar to the Standard Hummingbird which is a fantastic guitar. Good luck with your search!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dave F said:

Firebird specs out like a Dove. Hummingbird shape, maple b&s, long scale. I have a Doves in Flight. One of my favorites. 

Yes, more or less - but has quilted maple (and as I recall it, slightly varied braces).                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              The 2 lives in my herd - an F-Bird from 2010 and a Dove from 1996. Absolutely related - absolutely different. 

Yeah I’d be the same Peter. The Sheryl Crow association means nothing to me. I’ve nothing against her but she’s not my bag really. It’s the guitar I’m interested in. I  imagine the changes they made on the newer ones must make a big difference.

That is some herd E-minor7! How do you find the Firebird as a standalone guitar and compared against the rest of the herd? Do you own a hog Gibson?

Not to digress -  I said my piece on Monday morning -  but Sheryl Crow (the person/performer) isn't half bad.  Give a listen to  "All I Wanna Do"  and /or a look at her video  "First Cut Is the Deepest."   Lotta great shots of her Gibson on that one.  And her.    She has toured/performed  with the likes of Michael Jackson, Jimmy Buffet, Emmylou, George Strait, etc.  I would guess she's done more as a song writer.  Was favored to win two big awards (Grammys?) but lost out to Kelly Clarkson.   From MO, she started out with a '62 Gibson Country Western  but eventually asked Gibson to produce a copy for her. I guess she feared it would start to look like Willy's  Martin - "Trigger".   Problem is - she's a 'pop' singer and all over the place. Plays more 'benefits' and things it seems than most.  Which, I guess is actually a good thing.  So - while many think signature guitars are a joke - in her case, I think it's the real deal. 

16 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Not to digress -  I said my piece on Monday morning -  but Sheryl Crow (the person/performer) isn't half bad.  Give a listen to  "All I Wanna Do"  and /or a look at her video  "First Cut Is the Deepest."   Lotta great shots of her Gibson on that one.  And her.    She has toured/performed  with the likes of Michael Jackson, Jimmy Buffet, Emmylou, George Strait, etc.  I would guess she's done more as a song writer.  Was favored to win two big awards (Grammys?) but lost out to Kelly Clarkson.   From MO, she started out with a '62 Gibson Country Western  but eventually asked Gibson to produce a copy for her. I guess she feared it would start to look like Willy's  Martin - "Trigger".   Problem is - she's a 'pop' singer and all over the place. Plays more 'benefits' and things it seems than most.  Which, I guess is actually a good thing.  So - while many think signature guitars are a joke - in her case, I think it's the real deal. 

To your point, this is the real deal, imo - two Gibson women (sans gits), having a moment.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, aldiablo said:

That is some herd E-minor7! How do you find the Firebird as a standalone guitar and compared against the rest of the herd? Do you own a hog Gibson?

The herd is huge 😊 don't have ink to line it up. The F-bird is probably the biggest sounding guitar of them all, including the Mart. rose'n'hog dreads. It can be overwhelming, but represents high quality all the way. Sharper than the slope and square hog-Gibsons - could even be considered hard. Bass indeed, , , trebs too - a strong performer on tape if you pick the right song.                             The flaming Bird simply lives up to the name and look. It's majestic, , , , , , , and sometimes royalty is too much, right. . . 

Here's a track recorded in December. Shows a bit of what I'm trying to say. Of course there's no vox to set the singer-song-perspective, but still ~

• Like 1

Wow that’s really helpful info thanks. The track sounds great! Lovely crisp highs but when you hit those bass strings they make their presence known. It’s definitely got that sparkle that I heard the other day strumming that open G.

Sounds like you’re a lucky guy owning a herd like that! You must find it hard to choose from day to day! 

1 hour ago, aldiablo said:

Cool. I’ve actually been playing a full step down of late so it’s good to know it handles that well.

It sounds great I have to say and very well recorded. 

38 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Em7th  --- WOWSERS !    That was beautiful.    Amazing Artistry !   

Thanx a lot sirs ^ recorded and posted for Christmas. Now a demo for the Threadhost. 

22 minutes ago, aldiablo said:

It sounds very nice. Where do you position the mic? I’m experimenting with this at the moment. 

More or less like the big book says : Some 40-45-50 centimeters in front of the 12th fret. Check the Tube for detailed info. 

Thanx again al ^

Cool thanks that’s pretty much what I’ve been doing and just floating the mic a few centimetres this way or that depending and maybe rotating the condenser slightly towards the sound hole depending. I know there are a few different techniques  so was just wondering. The way we’ve been doing it is the standard though. 

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I spent hours in the guitar store yesterday. I brought my J45 and went between that, the CW and the Firebird. Three great guitars and three very different guitars. The CW and Firebird both offer something different for sure and I really enjoyed playing both. If only I had the money! In the end my gut, heart and ears went with the CW.  It really sang to me and the top really resonated. Definitely more highs and more “jangly” than the J45 but still with that bass presence. The Firebird was really nice too but less alive than the CW. Anyway I find these kind of decisions difficult and I just needed to pull the trigger so went with it. I pick it up on Tuesday. Didn’t want to carry the cash with me yesterday until I was sure I was gonna use it. Thanks for all the help with this guys. I really appreciate it. I’ll let yous know how I’m getting on when I have it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, aldiablo said:

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I spent hours in the guitar store yesterday. I brought my J45 and went between that, the CW and the Firebird. Three great guitars and three very different guitars. The CW and Firebird both offer something different for sure and I really enjoyed playing both. If only I had the money! In the end my gut, heart and ears went with the CW.  It really sang to me and the top really resonated. Definitely more highs and more “jangly” than the J45 but still with that bass presence. The Firebird was really nice too but less alive than the CW. Anyway I find these kind of decisions difficult and I just needed to pull the trigger so went with it. I pick it up on Tuesday. Didn’t want to carry the cash with me yesterday until I was sure I was gonna use it. Thanks for all the help with this guys. I really appreciate it. I’ll let yous know how I’m getting on when I have it. 

Great choice! I’m late to this thread but am a big fan of the SCCW. Back in 2008 I did a bit of work with Gibson as part of their artist endorsement program. My band were on tour and had a London show coming up, and my SJ200 had to go in for some work, so I called Gibson and asked if I could borrow a guitar for a few days.

They lent me a SCCW and man, that thing spun my head a full 360. Amazing instrument. So full sounding and rich, but bright and lively with it, just ALIVE with sound and dynamics. I tried so hard to persuade Gibson to sell it to me, but they had a policy of not selling their artist loaner guitars at the time and wouldn’t deviate. I was gutted, I loved that guitar! 

Enjoy it in good health. Must have been hard to pick between the SCCW and the Firebird, both absolute gems there.

6 hours ago, aldiablo said:

Hi guys,

Just a quick update. I spent hours in the guitar store yesterday. ...... Anyway I find these kind of decisions difficult and I just needed to pull the trigger so went with it. I pick it up on Tuesday. 

Congrats man, pics are required...

Wow thanks for sharing that very cool experience Jinder and for the kind words. It sounds like the CW you had was very similar to the one I’m getting. Alive is definitely the prefect word for it. 

It was a tough choice for sure but it felt right.

I will post pics as soon as Murph thanks!

Congratulations - and heps for the serious approach. Look forward to see pictures, , , and maybe hear sounds.

Glad it fell into place - such a thrilling ritual to go through, , , the wondering, pondering back'n'forth, , , , and the CHOICE !

Thanks E-minor7. This type of thing takes a lot out of me. The absolute obsession of it! Eventually I just have to pull the trigger in order to get other things in life done😆

I appreciate all the help and advice though. It genuinely aided the process. 

Pics will follow!

• Like 1

Hi guys,

So I picked up the SCCW and wow I am loving it. It’s so lively and a joy to play. It’s nicely set up too and is holding its tuning fine, even tuned down a step. It just has an older Fishman pickup in it now so I think I’ll swap that out for an LR Baggs Element and get my guitar guy to have a look at the set up while it’s in with him.

I’m trying to upload a photo but it’s too big. How do I go about it?