Gibson Brands Forums

Alternative to Firebird

marco mancini

I have not. Nor have I heard of it til now. 

ESP are a good company. They are based in Japan, though this model is made in Indonesia. The specs are good. It retains the neck-through construction and mini-humbuckers (other pick up options seem available).

I just did 3 minutes research. I'm sure you have done much more. 

It would be good to hear from someone with experience of both guitars.

Good luck.

this might be useful

https://findmyguitar.com/specs/ESP-LTD-Phoenix-1000/Gibson-Firebird

Edited by merciful-evans

ESP LTD and Eclipse series are some wonderful lookers and (they say) very well made.  Those top model matt black LTDs have EMGs and I'd like one even though I'm NOT metal...!   One measure of how good they are is that (in Europe) you can buy copies from Thomann, under the Harley Benton marque.

They aren't that cheap either; I don't think you would be disappointed.  The spec M-E has linked to compares very well with the Gibson;  the board is flatter and ebony, with jumbo frets.  The Epi Firebird is probably ok but about half the price and as you say, the ESP one is going to be much higher quality.

Edited by jdgm

Well i have ordered one today my idea is that these guitars are well built  , i took a vintage white  as i do not like active pickups   , but  what drew me most of this guitar is that  is built like a firebird neck through  and it has got  just one pot for volume and one for tone  and the switch in between  with spilttable  push and pull mode 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, marco mancini said:

Well i have ordered one today my idea is that these guitars are well built  , i took a vintage white  as i do not like active pickups   , but  what drew me most of this guitar is that  is built like a firebird neck through  and it has got  just one pot for volume and one for tone  and the switch in between  with spilttable  push and pull mode 

Master tone & volume is my preference too. Let us see some pics when it arrives and tell us what its like. 

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Master tone & volume is my preference too. Let us see some pics when it arrives and tell us what its like. 

sure i will  mate !  but my sense tells me that is way way ahead of the firebird T  gibson produced in 2019  which were crap  , very bad made indeed ! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/28/2023 at 5:31 PM, merciful-evans said:

Well  as i was expecting  this guitar is a valid alternative to firebirds  the quality is superb  sound punchy and  round  fantastic ! and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg , and it could be payed in three instalments  with just a revolving credit card ,     Dear Gibson  isnt it time  to learn something  on how to sell guitars to a wider audience 

https://ibb.co/qJ9pJ8h

https://ibb.co/1T2wPNL

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Looks just great. 

Gibson could never price match Indonesian builds. They do make budget models of course, but you can see where the cost cutting is. 

Glad its worked out for you. Enjoy!

IMG20230310192716.jpg

IMG20230310192730.jpg

oh Gosh merciful  this summer i went to Eastbourne  to visit the city and the pleasure pier there  the weather  was beautiful  and made  plenty of dives into the sea    it was beautiful  i wanted to reach portsmouth but unfortunately i didn't ,  as for the guitar  yep i'm really satisfied  the quality  is unbelievable 

• Like 1