Gibson Brands Forums

Why Gibson would not install High Output pickups to Semi Hollow body guitars?

fortuneteller

Because Howlling and feedback, it is that reason for not install high output pickups?

I have a R9 Les Paul(Solid body) and Gibson ES-335(Satin finish built at 2015s).
I compare these guitars in same amp and same enviroment condition.
Pickups of R9 are Burstbucker Type1 and 2 and ES-335 are Duncan Seth Lover that called SH-55.
I feel that Solid body guitar Les Paul is more "Straight tone" and "Core power" than semi hollow body ES-335.
Guess I think this different from type of body construct. It is right?
I always bummer that semi hollow guitar too muddy than solid body guitar especially les paul. 

They are supposed to sound different, neither should be muddy. Your amp settings & general EQ should get sort that out with the 335. 

Your post suggests you are using high gain. Try to EQ the 335 on the channel you normally use but with the gain backed down first. Then try to add gain in stages & see if the muddiness remains.

I myself never use high gain so this is just opinion. 

The 335 was specifically designed to avoid feedback so I guess it should be fine but I don’t own one so I’m not sure. Seems like Gary Moore and lots of guys have used them on stage with quite a lot of gain 

anyway I’m not sure a hotter pickup generates more feedback. If you think about it, you probably have to turn your amp up higher with a lower output pickup and that might make feedback more likely 

I’ve never actually used a dirty fingers before but I’d like to try them 

I've gigged Semi-Hollows and they are more susceptible to feedback than a solid body but I find its controllable. Nice to have a little feedback when you want it at the close of a song or wherever. 

I also once gigged a fully hollowbody at a quieter jazz venue, and the (unwonted) feedback was never far off!

If you add fx or gain, it does increase the likelihood of feedback. 

On 4/23/2023 at 8:17 PM, Dub-T-123 said:

I’ve never actually used a dirty fingers before but I’d like to try them 

They're really good for hard rock. Very warm when distorted. 

I'm surprised more people don't use them. 

Edited by Pinch

On 4/23/2023 at 9:20 PM, merciful-evans said:

They are supposed to sound different, neither should be muddy. Your amp settings & general EQ should get sort that out with the 335. 

Your post suggests you are using high gain. Try to EQ the 335 on the channel you normally use but with the gain backed down first. Then try to add gain in stages & see if the muddiness remains.

I myself never use high gain so this is just opinion. 

Thank you!
I will control EQ set for ES-335.

I really love the sound I get out of my Humbucking sized Mean 90's, in general I have 3 semi-hollow guitars with P90's each  with such a wide range of useable tone from clean to highly overdriven using either or both pickups.

EOo8Epe.jpg

Edited by mihcmac