Gibson Brands Forums

Any serious risk installing a heel strap button in a J-45 Standard?

1929GibsonD-18E

Discussion has been great so far, but I realised that I still haven’t gotten sufficient answers for my original question, which was, is there any greater risk to drilling #2 as opposed to #5. Some people have said online that when you are drilling into the heel (#2) your are drilling into the ‘end-grain’, and that you have a greater risk of splitting the wood when screwing in the strap button screw. Is this true? Or, if it is true, is the risk significantly greater to do damage in this position?

21 minutes ago, 1929GibsonD-18E said:

Discussion has been great so far, but I realised that I still haven’t gotten sufficient answers for my original question, which was, is there any greater risk to drilling #2 as opposed to #5. Some people have said online that when you are drilling into the heel (#2) your are drilling into the ‘end-grain’, and that you have a greater risk of splitting the wood when screwing in the strap button screw. Is this true? Or, if it is true, is the risk significantly greater to do damage in this position?

I am not sure there is any risk to that position if the hole is drilled to the correct depth.

I can tell you that I put one strap pin on one acoustic guitar #2 and I didn't like the results when I would use the strap.  It just didn't sit right, kind of leaned forward.  I would use #5, all day, everyday.

Is the OP going for looks or function?

The most balanced is #5.. I’ve tried most of the others on other Guitars & each of the others aren’t balanced when you’re standing up playing with a Strap on & remove your hand from the neck.. They either tend to neck dive or the body tilts a bit forward.. 

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Is the OP going for looks or function?

The most balanced is #5.. I’ve tried most of the others on other Guitars & each of the others aren’t balanced when you’re standing up playing with a Strap on & remove your hand from the neck.. They either tend to neck dive or the body tilts a bit forward.. 

I am more of an electric guitar player so I like clean access to the upper positions (#2 giving you much cleaner access than #5). I also wish to use straplocks and, again, position #2 would be better suited than #5. Many people online have said that straplocks like Schaller are not possible in position #5. I am going to triple check any straplocks I may wish to use will fit before drilling. I want to use #5 as it seems to be the most universally accepted/loved position, but I think the closest that might work for me is #4.

Murph said it’s common sense #2 is more problematic, but I know very very little about guitar construction, so I personally don’t understand fully what makes it so. If I knew more I could likely make a better risk assessment. 

All of this makes me think about just tying the strap to the headstock, but I’ve never needed to do that with any other guitar I’ve ever owned.

Guess I just want to think this through thoroughly before drilling into my favourite guitar.

On 4/24/2023 at 7:36 AM, 1929GibsonD-18E said:

Hi all, I have a 2014 Gibson J-45 Standard that I wish to install a strap button in. Most people online recommend the lower treble position on the heel (position 5 in the attached photo), but I would prefer either position 1 or 2. I had to go open the case to check, but the other acoustic guitar I own (which I have played live for over 1000 shows) has had a strap button in the base of the heel (position 2) this whole time. Sooo many people online have said that the guitar gets 'tippy' in that position, with a tendency to lean forward. All I can say is that it was such a non-issue for me that I literally never even noticed or thought about it in over a decade of weekly live playing. Anyway, so I prefer the heel position, but the J-45 is also my pride and joy and I am definitely more cautious drilling into this than I would be anything else as I love this guitar and don't want to break it.

So the long and the short of it is: I want to place my strap button either in position 1 or 2, but I want to do so with a reasonable level of safety. What would you recommend?

Thanks! 🙂

Strap Button Placement.png

I always go for 2 on a Gibson Acoustic. As long as you have straplocks.